Oil, Carbon build up palooza!

:
2016 CX-5
intake manifold of a 25000+ km 2016 mazda cx-5

vnmbex.jpg

2uojfoy.jpg

4ik51y.jpg

29p2sch.jpg

pcv oil separator why you no work??? (argh)

any thoughts on how to effectively remove those gunk on intake valves?

It does work it's just garbage lol. Grab yourself an oil catch can or bump up the rpms.(2thumbs)

It does work it's just garbage lol. Grab yourself an oil catch can or bump up the rpms.(2thumbs)

yes just installed a catch can but really surprised how much carbon buildup on a 25,000km car and look! oil dripping out the throttle body! shame on you mazda

Chris so can i pop into fake manual and let the rpms go up higher than normal auto allows? And what does high mean 4000 up?

Chris so can i pop into fake manual and let the rpms go up higher than normal auto allows? And what does high mean 4000 up?

if your car is port injected yes "Italian tune up" could work but with newer cars direct injection might not really work.

BMW owners with direct injection engines have been walnut blasting their valves for a few years now to clean off the deposits. I was hoping Mazda solved that issue. May not after seeing these pictures.

intake manifold of a 25000+ km 2016 mazda cx-5

oil separator why you no work??? (argh)

any thoughts on how to effectively remove those gunk on intake valves?
Here's an old post on 1/11/2017 by Chris_Top_Her showing how much the blown-by gasses with unburned fuel、engine oil、and sludge collected in his catch can after only 5,000 miles. Unfortunately the picture is no longer available, and if I remember it correctly, it had about quarts/500 cc in the catch can!

oil, transaxle, rear diff fluid change. ~5000mi

Catch can content -
15974856_10157987136995487_5639549286235389314_o.jpg

mostly city say 75% city 25 highway

Yep that will have an effect. I am about 50/50 but I purposely take the longer way to avoid it being more biased to short trips. Take that car out on the freeway or highway for 30 minutes and enjoy the drive.

BMW owners with direct injection engines have been walnut blasting their valves for a few years now to clean off the deposits. I was hoping Mazda solved that issue. May not after seeing these pictures.

One anecdotal example of carbon build up does not represent a systemic problem throughout the Skyactiv lineup. This is the only example of buildup I've seen, if this was a widespread problem I'm inclined to believe we would have seen more incidents over the years.

One anecdotal example of carbon build up does not represent a systemic problem throughout the Skyactiv lineup. This is the only example of buildup I've seen, if this was a widespread problem I'm inclined to believe we would have seen more incidents over the years.

(iagree)

Yea the can won't do anything for existing deposit. Aside from physical clean they have those DI valve cleaner you spray into intake. I'm about to changw my oil within the week. It'll represent about 6 or 7k miles and I'll post.

Last edited:
Back