Connecting Samsung Galaxy S7

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
I have a 2016 CX-9 GT with (I believe) the latest firmware.

I connected a Galaxy S7 tonight via USB cable and got a message flashing on the phone about MTP device - Allow or Block, flashing over and over for 15 seconds or so before the phone locked up completely. The phone became responsive after unplugging it.

Anyone seen anything similar? My iPhone 6 connects fine via USB. I wanted to charge the S7 and listen at the same time (rather than connecting by bluetooth).

Did you select allow (uhm)

I don't get a chance to. The pop-up flashes on and off too quickly. Very strange.

This is a work phone - I wonder if they installed some security thing that prevents connecting. Hmm..

I don't get a chance to. The pop-up flashes on and off too quickly. Very strange.

This is a work phone - I wonder if they installed some security thing that prevents connecting. Hmm..

I had the same experience with my S8 and it is not a work phone.

Sometimes when the cable you are using is wonky it can affect it.

Honestly though, I gave up trying as it really didn't make that much of a difference.

Why are you looking to avoid BT?

Doubt they would do that

I had the same experience with my S8 and it is not a work phone.

Sometimes when the cable you are using is wonky it can affect it.

Honestly though, I gave up trying as it really didn't make that much of a difference.

Why are you looking to avoid BT?

Since this is a work phone I don't want it syncing up all the contacts, but I do want it to sync with my personal phone. Wait, are the contacts retained after you turn the car off? If not, it wouldn't be such a big deal I guess.

Doubt they would do that

I wouldn't be so sure. They're pretty paranoid.

If this is the case, then don't use that phone with your CX-9 and use your personal phone.

Problem solved

Side note.... isn’t that the recalled phone that blows up and is banned from air travel? Maybe it is time to ask for a new phone noting safety concerns...:p:p:p

If this is the case, then don't use that phone with your CX-9 and use your personal phone.

Problem solved

Not solved, merely worked around. I have more storage on the S7 and am able to keep podcasts on it. Regardless, what if I didn't have an iPhone too? ;)

I have a 2016 CX-9 GT with (I believe) the latest firmware.

I connected a Galaxy S7 tonight via USB cable and got a message flashing on the phone about MTP device - Allow or Block, flashing over and over for 15 seconds or so before the phone locked up completely. The phone became responsive after unplugging it.

Anyone seen anything similar? My iPhone 6 connects fine via USB. I wanted to charge the S7 and listen at the same time (rather than connecting by bluetooth).

i have the same issue w/ my S7 in my 2018 GT. I only plug my phone in for charging, but it is annoying especially if you have your phone connected for charging & need to access it for something else. What i do is before plugging it in, i'll swipe right to left from the main screen, until i get to the last screen with no or minimal apps. Once i see it start flashing, i start hitting the area where the word "Allow" is usually after a few seconds, i'm able to select allow and go on my way. The only other solution I've come up with, is to make sure it's fully charged b/4 getting in the car (i keep a plug in the car in case i'm going somewhere that i can plug into an outlet later if needed).

i have the same issue w/ my S7 in my 2018 GT. I only plug my phone in for charging, but it is annoying especially if you have your phone connected for charging & need to access it for something else. What i do is before plugging it in, i'll swipe right to left from the main screen, until i get to the last screen with no or minimal apps. Once i see it start flashing, i start hitting the area where the word "Allow" is usually after a few seconds, i'm able to select allow and go on my way. The only other solution I've come up with, is to make sure it's fully charged b/4 getting in the car (i keep a plug in the car in case i'm going somewhere that i can plug into an outlet later if needed).

Thanks Mike! I'll try that tonight!

Not solved, merely worked around. I have more storage on the S7 and am able to keep podcasts on it. Regardless, what if I didn't have an iPhone too? ;)

Work arounds can be classed as solutions (wink)

If your main concern is that you don't want contacts syncing, then after you pair over Bluetooth, you can uncheck the contact sync option on the CX-9 Bluetooth/phone menu. You may also be able to reject contact access in Android when it pairs to the car (my phone pops up with a confirmation request to allow access to contacts).

Edit: I just gave this another thought and I don't know if it prevents contacts from syncing altogether or just blocks future syncs/updates...but it might be worth a shot.

And for anyone else having issues with the USB ports in the front armrest and just wants to be able to charge their phone, take a look at a USB data blocker. It allows you to get the full charging power of the ports in the front armrest and blocks the USB data request/feature. I had never heard of this before until someone else mentioned it in another thread several months ago. Here is the one that I bought and it works great in both my CX-9 and on my work laptop for charging my phone: http://a.co/dKq0E1i

Work arounds can be classed as solutions (wink)

"Don't use it" isn't much of a solution, or work around.

If your main concern is that you don't want contacts syncing, then after you pair over Bluetooth, you can uncheck the contact sync option on the CX-9 Bluetooth/phone menu. You may also be able to reject contact access in Android when it pairs to the car (my phone pops up with a confirmation request to allow access to contacts).

Edit: I just gave this another thought and I don't know if it prevents contacts from syncing altogether or just blocks future syncs/updates...but it might be worth a shot.

And for anyone else having issues with the USB ports in the front armrest and just wants to be able to charge their phone, take a look at a USB data blocker. It allows you to get the full charging power of the ports in the front armrest and blocks the USB data request/feature. I had never heard of this before until someone else mentioned it in another thread several months ago. Here is the one that I bought and it works great in both my CX-9 and on my work laptop for charging my phone: [FONT=&]http://a.co/dKq0E1i[/FONT]

Good idea!

Couple of comments.

Contacts are not stored - the resync everytime the phone pairs. How do I know it's true? 1. The car says importing contacts every time I turn it on and 2. if someone calls during that process, their name doesn't show up.

I still don't understand why you don't want to use BT or why you care about your contacts syncing? They aren't being stored, they just their for caller id purposes and so you can use voice recognition to call.

And if you hit deny, I believe the phone still charges?

Sorry MatGoose, but that is not correct. Please, refer to the owner's manual. Actually the system can store up to 1000 contacts. The reason its sync every time when connecting your phone is because you have the Automatic download option turned on. You can turn it off by going to Comm > Settings. I turned it off because sometimes during the sync process can get stuck while the system is booting up so I sync my contacts manually. My version is. 441.

My 7 Edge was doing the same thing so I just stopped plugging it into the USB and charge my phone with though the 12 volt port and just sync via Bluetooth. Besides it charges 2 to 3 times faster through the 12 volt than the USB. I have no problems with contacts, calls, messages and it works great with Pandora and Tidal.

Back