cost of brake pad replacement seems high?

:
Mazda CX9 Touring
Just had my rear pads wear out after 18k miles on my 2017 cx9. Was shocked at the cost of replacing them....$249.
I've never paid more than $120 to replace brake pads.

They claim that the pads have a lifetime warranty though so next time it'll be much closer to $130...anyone had experience with that?

My own mechanic wasn't able to change them..he said it uses electronic parking brake and he doesn't have the updated software to do it on a 2017...

If he eventually upgrades his stuff I'll see if he can do it in another 18k miles

I have done 30,000 KMs on my 17 azami here in Australia and just had it serviced a few days ago.
Brakes are reported at 70%

That doesn’t sound normal. Unless you are just constantly riding your brakes. Even then, it would be the front brakes that should be wearing quicker than the rears.

That doesn’t sound normal. Unless you are just constantly riding your brakes. Even then, it would be the front brakes that should be wearing quicker than the rears.

That was exactly what I was thinking. On almost every vehicle I have ever owned the rears needed changing on the second change of the fronts.

I'm not a CX-9 owner but I just replaced my CX-5 pads with aftermarket pads. Brand is Project Mu and costs about $120 for the front and rear here in the Philippines.

19,000 miles on my 2016 CX-9, and plenty of pad left, front & rear.

Your wear at that mileage seems to be very excessive. If you don't rest your left foot on the pedal while you drive, then there's something wrong with the rear brake assemblies. It could be that the parking function does not fully release. Anyway, I'd want to know the cause of the rapid brake wear.

I had a FWD Volvo that wore the rears faster than the fronts.

I just had my front brake pads replaced at 59,350 miles, the rear brake pads are fine. The cost in Vancouver, WA was USD 577.45 for a 60,000 mile service plus the replacement of the front brakes and wiper blades. I am mostly driving around town and on the freeway.

Just had my rear pads wear out after 18k miles on my 2017 cx9. Was shocked at the cost of replacing them....$249.
I've never paid more than $120 to replace brake pads.

They claim that the pads have a lifetime warranty though so next time it'll be much closer to $130...anyone had experience with that?

My own mechanic wasn't able to change them..he said it uses electronic parking brake and he doesn't have the updated software to do it on a 2017...

If he eventually upgrades his stuff I'll see if he can do it in another 18k miles

This brings up an interesting point...home mechanics won't be able to change out rear brake pads? Software is needed for this?

This is my first car with a electronic parking brake, so I wonder what the procedure for changing rear brake pads is.

Back