Looking for suitable summer tires 4 P5.

Holiday

:
Protege 5
Best I could find for stock rims is CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT SPORT 195/50/16. Essentially wanted a good all round summer tire. Good wet/dry tration, relatively low road noise, comfortable ride and decent handling. These fit the bill but are quite expensive and I am almost wondering if they are overkill. Was also looking at DUNLOP - DIREZZA DZ102 but reviews said they wear out fast. Any suggestions?

You could go with a 205/50/16 tire. They are only a tiny bit bigger and make almost no difference with your speedometer.
There is a lot more choices and prices available in that size.
It's all I've ever had on my car.

Hi, yeah I've considered that though I heard that would affect handling/cornering ability. I assume that's the sidewall...I wonder if there is a particular tire with a firmer sidewall or something to compensate.

It's only a 5 mm difference, it shouldn't matter too much especially if you save $100 or more on a set of tires.

My snow tires are on 15" rims, that a whole inch of difference on the sidewall.

The 205's have a lot more choices,.. I'm sure you can find something sporty enough for you.

Thanks, decided to go with 205 in the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. About $100 cheaper than the Continental Extreme Contact Sport.

I've gone as tall as 205/55/16 on the factory rims; those made my speedometer read dead on, but they are very close to the lower spring seats on the struts. The 205/50s work great and give you a whole lot more tire options. Not sure why Mazda spec'd 195s but they must have had some reason.

No, you don't have to go with 45's.

Mine are 205/50 R 16 with no issues.

205/45 R 16's may be hard to find as well.

(my snow tires are 195/55 R 15)

Last edited:
Back