2017~2024 Mileage low on 2018 CX-5 GT

Johninflamez

:
2018 Mazda CX-5 GT w/Tech
Hey Folks!
Recently purchased a 2018 CX-5 GT w/Tech. The car has done around 800 kms so far and i am getting around 13-14 liters per 100 km.

Isn't that very high consumption? I know the engine must be broken in but when would i see an improvement in the mileage? I usually do very short trips on weekdays and take her out on highways during weekends.

A/C is turned off during a cold start and tires are inflated as per the requirement.

Thanks,
John

Short trips are probably part of it.

Anyway, mine didn't start leveling out to normal MPG rates (on the computer) until after 1000 miles. Maybe more, don't remember.

Many, if not most, seem to have very poor consumption when new.
Don't stress about it and give it some time to break in.
And then be prepared to be disappointed anyway! It's pretty poor in a hilly city. At least mine is.

Many, if not most, seem to have very poor consumption when new.
Don't stress about it and give it some time to break in.
And then be prepared to be disappointed anyway! It's pretty poor in a hilly city. At least mine is.
On the plus side, its fun to drive ;)

1. Short trips
2. Still winter in Toronto
3. New engine

Yep. Give it a chance to break in. Make sure you drive some longer trips with it. Also make sure you are resetting the fuel economy info screen at each fill up.

In order for fuel economy to improve, one needs to:

• Drive longer distances
  • Drive for longer durations

Stop/start coupled with shorter distances means the fuel figures will remain higher than they should be

In order for fuel economy to improve, one needs to:

• Drive longer distances
  • Drive for longer durations

Stop/start coupled with shorter distances means the fuel figures will remain higher than they should be

This cannot be stressed enough. These engines want to run. I purposely take the long way to get some real miles on the vehicle. I do this because a lot of my trips just get the engine warmed up. GDI engines inherently suffer from fuel dilution and buildup, especially on the intake valves. The SkyActiv engines have shown to be much better than most in this instance but with you living in a colder climate, you may see it exacerbated more. If you want extreme examples, check out the Honda 1.5 TGDI engine which suffers greatly from fuel dilution and is currently on a stop-sale in China.

"Tires inflated as per the requirement?"

Inflated tires are a good start. What is the cold PSI you inflated them to>?

"AC turned off"

Do not forget that the A/C is on whenever you are using defrost vents, or foot vents, or any mixture of.

"Tires inflated as per the requirement?"

Inflated tires are a good start. What is the cold PSI you inflated them to>?

"AC turned off"

Do not forget that the A/C is on whenever you are using defrost vents, or foot vents, or any mixture of.

Defroster in any combination, yes. Foot vents? Nah.

Toronto driver here as well. I am getting about 8.8 / 100 km on the weekly commute and has 7.5 on a run down to Niagara and back. Initially, i was getting closer to 10 litres / 100 km. The fact that it does not take as long now to warm up the car to clear the blue low temperature coolant light likely helps too.

For reference, my commute is from Bloor / Yonge area to Woodbine / Steeles at about 9:30 in the morning and about 7:00 at night for the reverse. I do around 70+ kmh with a few slowdowns in the usual areas. Using the MRCc helps a lot as it will put the car into a coast mode whenever it can.

As far as tire pressure is concerned, my Toronto-based dealer had the tires at 44 psi. Coincidentally, when I dropped them to 36 psi, my mileage improved.

Hope this helps.

Defroster in any combination, yes. Foot vents? Nah.

I was wrong, I should have said any DEF position.

•In the DEF or FEET/DEF position, the air conditioner is automatically turned on and the outside air position is automatically selected to defrost the windshield. In the DEF or FEET/DEF position, the outside air position cannot be changed to the recirculated air position.

Back