What kind of wear do you see on your winter tires?

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
So I picked up a used set of Blizzak DM-V2s in the fall of 2016 with 1k miles. They have a stock depth of 13/32. They were still reading 13/32 when I bought them.

Counting the usage of previous owner and my use puts me at 11,164 miles (~17966 km) and tread still reads 12/32. Seems like they are wearing pretty good for a winter tire. I know they are supposed to lose winter tire status at some levels but looks like I could still get a few more years out of them.

What are other's seeing with same or other brands?

We have 17" Blizzak WS80 on our CX-5, that's a fourth season, but only about 18k km on them, December through April. I can't tell they've lost any of their winter grip capabilities. Still great in snow and on ice. Will check the tread depth when I get a car from my wife to change oil and switch tires to a 19" summer set.

That's good to hear! I did buy some used 17" stock CX-5 rims for another winter set but I think those will stay up in the garage rafters until I wear this current Blizzak set out in a few years. I really thought tread-ware would be greater as used on a quite a bit of barren pavement at spring level temperatures the last few months. I sure like the TPMS reset on my '15...so easy. I have to bring out Toyota Techstream to update tires when swapping sets on my GX.

Yeah, on my Tahoe I have two sets of rims with sensors, and the tool to check them in... It gets quite expensive really fast for the convenience of knowing individual tire pressure...

I’m running Michelin Xice 3 on ours and saw minimal wear this first season. It seems like wear has been improved a lot on winter tires at least compared to what I’ve previously experienced. Also getting them off as soon as it warms up consistently helps a lot. They will see a lot more wear when it’s above 50.

I've got Goodyear Ultra Grip winters. They are on their third winter and I have 8/32nds left. New tread depth is 13/32nds.

I had them on my 2011 Rav4 for 2 winters, and from October-February this winter. I put them on my CX-5 when I bought it on February 1st. I use my winter tires from around the middle of October to the End of April, depending on the weather.

Yeah...we have a long winter, and the Goodyears are lasting a long time considering they're on my car about 6 months of the year.

Back