Maintenance question

:
Former CX-5 Own
I will soon take my CX-5 for 60K miles maintenance, probably to a (non-dealer) local shop.
Looking at my owner's manual, I don't quite understand the following on the recommended maintenance schedule 1:

• The manual says to <B>inspect</B> the drive belt at 37.5K miles. What about actually replacing it?
    Should it really only be replaced if it looks like it is starting to wear?
  • It says to replace the rear differential oil every 30K miles if operated under towing/dusty etc. conditions (all which do not apply). So, is their recommendation to never replace this oil otherwise?

Thank you in advance!

Regarding point 1, the attached might be of help. For point 2, the answer is technically yes but we did debate it a while back and I think the majority said they would change it at some stage. I personally would at your mileage.

Attachments

• Engine Alternator drive belt repair.pdf
    351.3 KB · Views: 184
Concur. I'm at 63k miles on mine. Getting my rear diff oil replaced here probably next week.

• Therere 2 drive belts. Its hard to tell you should replace them at this point. Inspection should be the best way to handle this, but there was a report recently on a 60K-mile CX-5 that the serpentine drive belt broke after the inspection by a shop who stated the belit is fine. Make sure to inspect belt tensioner too as it may leak.
  • It wont hurt to replace BOTH front transfer case AND rear differential gear lubricant at this point, especially it has been reported several times Mazda has under-filled rear differential gear lube. Here is an excellent write-up, Rear Diff and Transfer Case Fluid Change: tools parts and links, if you want to DIY. Id use Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG-1 instead of generic SAE 80W-90 gear lube.

Regarding point 1, the attached might be of help. For point 2, the answer is technically yes but we did debate it a while back and I think the majority said they would change it at some stage. I personally would at your mileage.

Wow, this file is very informative. Thank you!

Back