This is why I have AWD...

I noticed the last couple times it looked like I missed some spots but I didn’t. I think I need to sharpen the blade.

I noticed the last couple times it looked like I missed some spots but I didn’t. I think I need to sharpen the blade.

I need to mow it every week. One area had not been mowed nearly in a year. Instead of doing a 3 pass, I did a 2. Starting it kn a weekly schedule I believe i can now go to 1 pass. I don't weed eat around trees that far from the house.

I need to mow it every week. One area had not been mowed nearly in a year. Instead of doing a 3 pass, I did a 2. Starting it kn a weekly schedule I believe i can now go to 1 pass. I don't weed eat around trees that far from the house.

For me right now I kinda have to do every 5 days and even then it is kinda shaggy in spots.

For me right now I kinda have to do every 5 days and even then it is kinda shaggy in spots.

I'll see how it does. The mower I use is pretty decent and only about 10 hours on new blades. I just changed the oil and filter for the hydros this morning.

Yes. And have a plan. Hope you never need it.
It can happen real fast. Speaking from unfortunate experience.

Yes. And have a plan. Hope you never need it.
It can happen real fast. Speaking from unfortunate experience.

I'm sorry to hear that.
Yes, the river rises rapidly. It can go from what I showed you, to covering half the yard by the time you wake up. It also drops rapidly.

Nature doesn't play by our rules and I've seen some crazy flooding events where I live (Arizona). One time during monsoon season it dumped 5 inches of rain within 60 minutes. It was insane. A storm literally just stopped and didn't move and unleashed all fury in a limited area. The (county) claimed it was a 1,000 year storm event. Which is sort of absurd because how do they know what happened 1,000 years ago? They have been keeping records of weather for only about 100-120 years ago.

I'm about 120 feet above the flood plains so I am out of the 100 and 500 year flood plain. The road leading to my house might get washed out but the house is safe.

Where I live isn't in a floodable area, but my office is definitely on a floodplain and right next to a small airport. Better believe they have DR contingencies for that.

Yea I live pretty high up on a hill so I’m pretty safe from floods. Get lots and lots of wind though. There is finally a house going in next door though which should help a little.

Not required and house has been fine for a decade...but for $385/year...yes.

Just never be complacent about it. My house had never been flooded in at least 150 years, and when it did flood, it peaked at 2 feet above the second floor! We were watching, and when we went to bed, the river was still in its banks, about 10 feet below grade at the house [the house was about 100 yds from the river]. The next morning, I jumped out of bed into a foot of water [on the first floor]. We couldn't believe it would rise any farther, so we stayed. By afternoon, it was up to the second floor. You could see the water "walking" up the stairs, it was rising that fast! The boat that picked us up pulled right up to a second floor window. About 20 feet above flood stage.

We lost everything. It's just stuff, but some stuff is irreplaceable. That's why I never lived near a river again, no matter how beautiful it can be. I wouldn't wish the ordeal on anyone.

That's awful. So sorry to hear that.

Where I grew up in the mountains, our danger was forest fires and we came very close to needing to evacuate many times, but luckily never had to.

Life goes on.
So now I live in the mountains, and like you did, have to consider wildfires, and live with the smoke from them all too often.
Not to mention the Cascadia Subduction Zone.
But I love it anyway.
"It's always something!"

Just never be complacent about it. My house had never been flooded in at least 150 years, and when it did flood, it peaked at 2 feet above the second floor! We were watching, and when we went to bed, the river was still in its banks, about 10 feet below grade at the house [the house was about 100 yds from the river]. The next morning, I jumped out of bed into a foot of water [on the first floor]. We couldn't believe it would rise any farther, so we stayed. By afternoon, it was up to the second floor. You could see the water "walking" up the stairs, it was rising that fast! The boat that picked us up pulled right up to a second floor window. About 20 feet above flood stage.

We lost everything. It's just stuff, but some stuff is irreplaceable. That's why I never lived near a river again, no matter how beautiful it can be. I wouldn't wish the ordeal on anyone.

I nearly bought a bungalow with a small brook about 100 yards away, seller refused my offer, we know someone who lived on the street she had been there 30 years and never seen the brook flood.

Well it did that year the bungalow we wanted was under water half way up the garage!! Lucky me.

Back