This is why I have AWD...

My jeep had full Elsd front and rear and my friends have wrx and sti cars. I tend to be familiar more with the exceptions I guess.

With modern jeeps I think it’s the trail rated ones that you would want. My sisters has their basic system which is probably the bulk seller most people end up with. When I look at their spec sheet they have active drive 1 and 2. 1 is the one that says it disconnects the rear axle when not needed. On two it still says monitors for slip and routes torque. But it also adds the active drive lock which is the part that you need.

This is why we have FWD. Smooth roads, no ice, no snow, minimal potholes.

Loop-101-Scenic-Corridor-Glendale.jpg

Smooth roads, FTW!

Smooth roads, FTW!

^^^

This is the actual freeway I use.....best of all its a hybrid rubber asphalt. Smoother, quieter, and grippier...not to mention eco friendlier since recycled tires are used.

My garage entry has oh maybe a 5-inch incline I need to navigate every day.

Last edited:
^^^

This is the actual freeway I use.....best of all its a hybrid rubber asphalt. Smoother, quieter, and grippier...not to mention eco friendlier since recycled tires are used.

I’m not sure why they don’t use that stuff here. I would think the flexibility of the rubber help keep it from being destroyed by the freeze thaw cycle in winter.

I guess red state means eco friendly is uncool. Sigh

I’m not sure why they don’t use that stuff here. I would think the flexibility of the rubber help keep it from being destroyed by the freeze thaw cycle in winter.

Perhaps. Also perhaps that kind of road maybe has adverse affects in winter? I don't know.

I was driving in California and loved how the lines on the road weren't just painted on, but were actual little reflective bits. As I lamented not having those here, it occurred to me that plows in the winter here would tear them up.

I think they have them in Minnesota though.
Hmm...well in that case, who knows LOL.

Our roads are crap here too, but it's a combo of state not using funds for roads like they should be, instead doing crap like bicycle lanes, and then taxpayers typically turn down any increases for anything, roads included.

Yea same here. People love to b**** about the roads but actually be willing to pay to make them better..... nope. And I’m sure funds get miss-used too. We also have low population density which doesn’t help.

Yea same here. People love to b**** about the roads but actually be willing to pay to make them better..... nope. And I’m sure funds get miss-used too. We also have low population density which doesn’t help.
I would support an increase for roads, but only if I knew it went to roads and not more m***** f****** bike lanes and crap like that.

They spend money on that kind of stuff and then say oops sorry no money to fix or expand roads.

Well I actually am a fan of bike lanes. Roads are not just for cars.... bike is a legitimate mode of transportation. However it should not be used for things that aren’t part of the road.

Where I live actually trying to share the road with cars is difficult because so many drivers don’t think you should be there. A bike lane at least gives some separation. Assuming drivers respect that which thy often still do not.

It would be awesome if I could actually bike to work! It’s suicide though!

Well I actually am a fan of bike lanes. Roads are not just for cars.... bike is a legitimate mode of transportation. However it should not be used for things that aren’t part of the road.

Where I live actually trying to share the road with cars is difficult because so many drivers don’t think you should be there. A bike lane at least gives some separation. Assuming drivers respect that which thy often still do not.

It would be awesome if I could actually bike to work! It’s suicide though!

I sympathize somewhat. Bicyclist have a reputation here for never following traffic laws so nobody likes them LOL. But if they have their own paths, then perhaps that's less of an issue.

Anyway that was just one example of the many ways Colorado uses it's road money for not actually expanding, or maintaining, or fixing the damn roads. They'll spend money on everything that's not that (mass transit, bike lanes, etc.) and then say oh golly jeepers we need more money.

C-470 which is the main belt around the southwest part of Denver is finally expanding past 4 lanes (2 each direction), but only because they are putting in toll lanes. The whole thing is absurd.

To be fair you’re right the cyclist should follow exactly the same rules as the cars! And when they don’t .... well they’re just contributing to the problem.

And I agree it’s frustrating when they aren’t spending the needed money to fix and expand roads. Or when they do they fix it they do it as cheaply as possible and it just doesn’t hold. (Like filling potholes with low quality asphalt instead of actually repairing the road)

And I agree it’s frustrating when they aren’t spending the needed money to fix and expand roads. Or when they do they fix it they do it as cheaply as possible and it just doesn’t hold. (Like filling potholes with low quality asphalt instead of actually repairing the road)

(iagree)

⋯ I was driving in California and loved how the lines on the road weren't just painted on, but were actual little reflective bits. As I lamented not having those here, it occurred to me that plows in the winter here would tear them up.
Actually we also have these reflective bits/buttons everywhere in Dallas area. When it snows we don't use plow truck to push the snow aside but use only salt. This creates some problems if the snow accumulation is too much. When we were living in Iowa, snow plow truck is standard equipment pushing the snow to the side then spreading the salt. These reflective bits/buttons certainly can't survive a single sweep with plow truck!

Not sure how Minnesota would handle this as these reflective bits/buttons are expensive, about $5~$10 each according to a civil engineering friend.

Where I live (Nebraska) we certainly use plows. They paint the lines/markers and sometimes use the reflective strips. They do need to redo the lines/markers every few years. It’s definitely majority painted.

Im not sure why they dont use that stuff here. I would think the flexibility of the rubber help keep it from being destroyed by the freeze thaw cycle in winter.

Sometimes it's purely political! A friend retired from Lubrizol (Cleveland, Ohio) once told me his company invented a special chemical which can help prolonging the service life of asphalt almost doubled. Unfortunately none of the state governments is interested. Ended up they donated the patent to a university. His theory is the states they want to have highway resurfacing project going on forever, otherwise if there's no construction projects, there's no "money" to play with (if you know what I mean)! ;)

Yea I bet those rubberized asphalt roads are just too durable! It’s just such an elegant solution and what to do with those old tires is a real problem.

Back