This is why I have AWD...

You realize that Mazda does the same thing, right? It just has the ability to send 50% of the available torque to the back axles to do that same thing with, as well. It's not a real AWD like a Jeep/Audi/Subaru/etc.

My sister has a Jeep Cherokee and it completely disconnects the rear axle most of the time and is FWD. Subaru if it has a CVT is similar to our setup (the WRX and STi are exceptions). As are Audi’s with Haldex. Very few vehicles will have what you’re talking about and probably need for your situation.

I still believe Mazda’s setup is one of the better ones and it worked very well recently when I was as driving in ice. There was a Jeep behind me struggling more. I suspect he didn’t have winter tires like I do though.

The one thing I do like about the Jeep my sister has and wish Mazda had is the dial where you can tell it what conditions you are dealing with. I think that would help in your situation if you could force it to just send power rear before detecting slipping.

This is why we have FWD. Smooth roads, no ice, no snow, minimal potholes.

Loop-101-Scenic-Corridor-Glendale.jpg

Here is one reason I have a body-on-frame 4x4 and not anything less.

hollister13a.jpg

Also, take an AWD vehicle onto the sand dunes and see what happens. (hint: bring a shovel)

AWD and 4wd systems are not all created equal which is the truth here. Different systems are better suited to different situations as well. Mazda’s is good but by no means the best on out there. And many companies like Jeep, Audi, and Subaru use several different systems based on the vehicle and its configuration.

AWD = Takes power from the wheel that's spinning, sending traction to the other wheels. It works using brakes to stop the spinning wheel from losing traction, therefore giving the other three wheels a chance to grab.

4x4 = Locking differential on each axle which sends power to all 4 wheels always.

AWD and 4wd systems are not all created equal which is the truth here. Different systems are better suited to different situations as well. Mazdas is good but by no means the best on out there. And many companies like Jeep, Audi, and Subaru use several different systems based on the vehicle and its configuration.

When I had my Quattro it was permanent 4wd, there have been around7 or more Quattro systems, Subaru have at least two types, jeep I know nothing about as they don't interest me.

Yea that’s why I’m saying you can’t just say Quattro...... which one lol. Some are better than others but in general the true permanent ones where it’s always sending power to all 4 corners are getting less and less common. Subaru has at least 3 setups I know off. Jeep has several as well.

Also to go back to the locking diff. There are some that are true locking diffs like on my GTI (haldex style) but those are not common and generally only found on performance oriented vehicles. They do help tremendously short of having AWD.

Rear diff on the CX-5 is mechanical limited slip.. look at the video (1 wheeling, no friction) also if you find a wet enough surface and turn off tcs/dsc you can see both wheels spins and even get a rwd style fishtail if you have enough tq. Any braking action is supplemental (and won't happen with DSC off, and to a limited parameter, tcs). Front is limited mechanically (electronic clutch) as well. With DSC off, there will be no braking and the front end up locking into some position. If you try to do a donut you will feel and hear the diff is limiting the wheel speed on the front so you end up with a tighter turn radius and no donut.
Car straightens out rapidly because the limited slip on the front. In fact this is pretty much how the car will always drift, and it's pretty predictable because of how the system works.

Last edited:
I’ve felt that rwd oversteer a bit on mine in snow/slush. The stability control keeps it in check though. I would honestly say the Mazda iactive AWD is on par with Subaru’s mainstream setup they’re using on CVT equipped models.

Here is one reason I have a body-on-frame 4x4 and not anything less.

hollister13a.jpg

Also, take an AWD vehicle onto the sand dunes and see what happens. (hint: bring a shovel)

I am curious to try out the crawl control & MTS I added back in February to my GX 460. On the Youtube examples for the Tacoma, 4Runner, LC and LX 570 you can basically put on the frame in sand and it will slowly dig itself out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFe4WhDgZZw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0msPb7vVv4A&

When I had my Quattro it was permanent 4wd, there have been around7 or more Quattro systems, Subaru have at least two types, jeep I know nothing about as they don't interest me.

The Toyota Land Cruiser Prado which we have here as the Lexus GX 460 has a full time mechanical AWD system with a torsen center diff with 4L capability. I couldn't remember if they sell as the LC Prado or just Land Cruiser in Great Britain.

Aren't some of the older Quattro systems setup like that minus the 4-low option?

I believe so. I think it’s the with ultra ones that are haldex. BMW also uses Torsen style in their xdrive I believe.

Last edited:
Using the above method, my drive averages 14.5 degrees incline, or a 26% grade, in "road-speak". The steepest road in the world is roughly 4 degrees steeper, to put this in perspective. And my drive is gravel, not paved. AWD is almost necessary for long-term sensible use.

Where do you think that "steepest road in the world" is?

Our mountain driveway was dirt and had huge ruts in it after every spring due to the rain. There would always be one section around a very sharp corner (yes on an incline) that would rut out the middle of the driveway but would also go across it so that it was impossible to avoid.

Good times, and good luck.

Our driveway looks like that, but it is asphalt. With snow and snow tires it is difficult for our FWD Honda and Acura to get up. My wife cannot do it.

Last time I almost got stuck myself, I wound up backing up the hill without problem, with the weight on the front tires. Its a narrow private drive past several estates , had to back all the way up to the main street where it levels off.

My sister has a Jeep Cherokee and it completely disconnects the rear axle most of the time and is FWD. Subaru if it has a CVT is similar to our setup (the WRX and STi are exceptions). As are Audis with Haldex. Very few vehicles will have what youre talking about and probably need for your situation.

I still believe Mazdas setup is one of the better ones and it worked very well recently when I was as driving in ice. There was a Jeep behind me struggling more. I suspect he didnt have winter tires like I do though.

My jeep had full Elsd front and rear and my friends have wrx and sti cars. I tend to be familiar more with the exceptions I guess.

Back