Truth or Scam regarding CPO program "fees"

kilk0009

:
CX-9
Question for the forum:

I was at a dealer today looking at a 2016 CX-9 GT.
After talking w/ his manager, the sales guy came back to the table and showed me the internet listed price and had added $1,395 for the certified pre-owned warranty.

I was shocked that the internet price does not include the CPO "costs."
Is this dealership being sleazy or is this commonplace? Just a way of buffering things on their end (and likely to eat the cost and me walk away feeling happy to have paid the original asking price)?

When I bought my CPO VW Golf TDI, I don't recall any of this deception.

Thanks in advance.

I've always insisted that any price quote be "out the door," which means there are no questions about the final price. That strategy works best when you are not at the dealer and comparing different dealer offers. When you are at the dealer, you are at their mercy!

Question for the forum:

After talking w/ his manager, the sales guy came back to the table and showed me the internet listed price and had added $1,395 for the certified pre-owned warranty.

Is this dealership being sleazy or is this commonplace? Just a way of buffering things on their end (and likely to eat the cost and me walk away feeling happy to have paid the original asking price)?

Thanks in advance.

That's a bait and switch. I'd tell him to bring his manager out, and you'll do the talking directly.

Yes, it is listed as CPO in the Mazda dealership website. It is searchable as a CPO as well. The "final price" is shown--same as I was told today. It is also on TRUCar at the same price and does not indicate CPO status.

Yes, it is listed as CPO in the Mazda dealership website. It is searchable as a CPO as well. The "final price" is shown--same as I was told today. It is also on TRUCar at the same price and does not indicate CPO status.

They are trying to be sneaky. Not cool. Push them hard to honor their original price and include the CPO....or simply walk away. Do not pay extra for the CPO. My car was CPO. I paid $400 under their asking price too + free winter floor mats....and they never tried to tell me that the CPO is extra.
There are many CPO Mazdas out there. Find another dealer.

If it's listed online as a CPO for the lower price (i.e. without the $1,395 added in) then they are, indeed, being completely shady, and I would avoid them if at all possible. If they're willing to do crap like that, I'd be afraid of what other miscellaneous "fees" might show up in the paperwork at the end. If you do want to move forward, I would definitely insist they honor the lowest price, and I would go over any paperwork they want you to sign with a fine-toothed comb.

Question for the forum:

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to say, but this is a common tactic with dealers. If you read the microscopic fine print, it will list all the stuff they aren't including in the advertised price.

The dealer around here advertises leases as "zero down" on TV and the radio, but they really mean zero down payment. When you go in to look at the car, they money required up front magically becomes $1000-$2000 dollars.

Nothing surprises me anymore with car dealers.

Sorry to say, but this is a common tactic with dealers. If you read the microscopic fine print, it will list all the stuff they aren't including in the advertised price.

The dealer around here advertises leases as "zero down" on TV and the radio, but they really mean zero down payment. When you go in to look at the car, they money required up front magically becomes $1000-$2000 dollars.

^^This.

When I bought my '12 CX-9, I had a AAA price quote from the dealer, printed out with all of the options I wanted. I brought it in, and sat face-to-face with the salesman. He wrote his price on that sheet of paper, in his own handwriting.

A week later, when I was ready to pull the trigger, he gave me a price that was $1,000 more than his hand-written price. When I questioned him on it, he said that his price was did not include XYZ--and I looked at the fine print of the AAA quote, and I'll be damned, there was a disclaimer. The manager gave me his "Sorry; not sorry" schpiel after I called him.

I didn't purchase from that dealer.

(Sussman Mazda, Roslyn, PA--if anyone was curious!)

^^This.

When I bought my '12 CX-9, I had a AAA price quote from the dealer, printed out with all of the options I wanted. I brought it in, and sat face-to-face with the salesman. He wrote his price on that sheet of paper, in his own handwriting.

A week later, when I was ready to pull the trigger, he gave me a price that was $1,000 more than his hand-written price. When I questioned him on it, he said that his price was did not include XYZ--and I looked at the fine print of the AAA quote, and I'll be damned, there was a disclaimer. The manager gave me his "Sorry; not sorry" schpiel after I called him.

I didn't purchase from that dealer.

(Sussman Mazda, Roslyn, PA--if anyone was curious!)

Thanks for posting the dealer! Always good to know.

Hold on there, before you accuse the dealer of being shady for advertising zero down leases, you need to be aware of advertising laws.

Many states have laws against advertising prices with tax and DMV included as states havent varying tax and DMV rates. Also, the legal term for money down on a lease is the money you use to lower the cost of the lease. Amount due is your money down plus taxes and leasing fees. Fees due are not considered money down.

Dealers can be devious in many ways. The example you listed is not one of them. In fact, national and regional ads by the vehicle manufacturers follow the same laws.

Hold on there, before you accuse the dealer of being shady for advertising “zero down” leases, you need to be aware of advertising laws.

Many states have laws against advertising prices with tax and DMV included as states haven’t varying tax and DMV rates. Also, the legal term for “money down” on a lease is the money you use to lower the cost of the lease. “Amount due” is your money down plus taxes and leasing fees. Fees due are not considered “money down”.

Dealers can be devious in many ways. The example you listed is not one of them. In fact, national and regional ads by the vehicle manufacturers follow the same laws.

Just because dealer ads strictly follow laws, doesn't make them NOT shady. They know that if they jam details into fine print no one will read, that they "comply" with the law.

Buy this BMW for $10,000*

*With $50,000 cash or trade.

^^^^ Sorry--legal, but shady.

Hold on there, before you accuse the dealer of being shady for advertising zero down leases, you need to be aware of advertising laws.

Many states have laws against advertising prices with tax and DMV included as states havent varying tax and DMV rates. Also, the legal term for money down on a lease is the money you use to lower the cost of the lease. Amount due is your money down plus taxes and leasing fees. Fees due are not considered money down.

No. The ads are deceptive in that they clearly state that the lease is nothing down and $xxx per month. What would you expect to pay? Only in shady car dealer fantasy math does zero down equate to thousands of dollars.

I leased a car from another dealer that was advertised as nothing down... I walked out of there with a car and paid zero at signing. That's being honest.

No. The ads are deceptive in that they clearly state that the lease is nothing down and $xxx per month. What would you expect to pay? Only in shady car dealer fantasy math does zero down equate to thousands of dollars.

I leased a car from another dealer that was advertised as nothing down... I walked out of there with a car and paid zero at signing. That's being honest.

You didnt bother to read the explanation. Money down and amount due at signing are two different terms, legally.

Also, every single vehicle manufacturer does the same thing. Its not the dealers fault. The manufacturers encourage it by creating the ads themselves. Ever seen VWs 0 down lease commercials? They do not include fees.

If you did go and pay absolutely zero, the fees were rolled into the lease.

I elected to walk away and let the dealer know why. He then reduced the cost to $595 and wants me to call him back...

I was able to communicate with another dealer in the Chicago area and asked about any non disclosed costs on the advertised price of 2017 CPO CX9 and he indicated there are none other than tax, title, and license (as it should be...)

Now I'm leaning toward a new CX-9 GT--easier access to third row (especially when able to test side by side), potential for possible android auto/apple carplay retrofit in the future (which has been said will not work with 2016/17), added sensors. All the changes probably don't add up to the several thousand additional price, but at least I won't have to deal with used cars sales people!

I elected to walk away and let the dealer know why. He then reduced the cost to $595 and wants me to call him back...

I was able to communicate with another dealer in the Chicago area and asked about any non disclosed costs on the advertised price of 2017 CPO CX9 and he indicated there are none other than tax, title, and license (as it should be...)

Now I'm leaning toward a new CX-9 GT--easier access to third row (especially when able to test side by side), potential for possible android auto/apple carplay retrofit in the future (which has been said will not work with 2016/17), added sensors. All the changes probably don't add up to the several thousand additional price, but at least I won't have to deal with used cars sales people!

As long as youre aware that tax, tags, title etc are extra, there is nothing to worry about.

If a dealer disclosed any would-be fees up front, you are then aware of the total cost. Im a proponent of working the deal from the out the door cost aspect.

How was the price without the CPO costs added in? Did it seem like an unusually low price or was it in line with other CPO's in your area? Some people don't want to pay more to have a CPO'd vehicle, so maybe it was itemized separately for people who don't want the added protection

Hi, if you can, would you mind getting photos/measurements of the difference in ease of access between the '17 and the '18 third row? I have an 18, just curious how significant the difference is. Also, what added sensors are present on the '18?

Hi, if you can, would you mind getting photos/measurements of the difference in ease of access between the '17 and the '18 third row? I have an 18, just curious how significant the difference is.
The change is pretty significant, at least according to The Truth About Cars....

Mazda . . . made the second row slide farther forward so real humans can actually get into the third row. That gap measured 2.36 inches in the 2017 CX-9; it measures 7.87 inches in the 2018 Mazda CX-9. This is a difference maker.

But wait, there’s more. Previously, when the second-row seat was moved forward, the rake of the seat was just 50 degrees — it wasn’t leaning that far forward. Now the second row leans forward to a 33-degree angle.

Finally, aiding comfort in the second row is a seatback angle that’s now more like the CX-5: 22 degrees rather than the MY2017 CX-9’s upright 6 degrees.

Mazda didn’t add any actual legroom to the CX-9’s somewhat snug third row. . . . Yet the greater ease with which passengers can climb into the CX-9’s rearmost seats is a boon to overall useability.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/09/least-partially-one-mazda-cx-9s-key-faults-fixed-2018/

Last edited:
That's perfect, thanks Colnago. Nice to know it was more than just a wider gap for entry.

Back