How to test Fuel Pump Relay?

PowrSlave

:
Protege5
I want to test the fuel pump relay in my 2002 Protege5, but after searching for the forums, I haven't found a post indicating which pin is which. The only diagram I've been able to find is below, but the pin configuration of mine is an L formation while the diagram is 2x2. What the hell? Which pins do I test continuity for while supplying 12v to the others?

YndH8wI.png

An easy way to test it is to use a jumper wire in the DLC connector... When that terminal is connected to ground the relay kicks in to power the fuel pump.
You should hear and feel the relay clicking with your finger on it.
This also tests more of the circuit as well. (wires and connectors)

The DLC is right there near the fuel pump relay as well.

Here's another picture of the DLC connector... It's showing the connection for the brakes... Make sure you use the FP (fuel pump) connection.

Last edited:
... Which pins do I test continuity for while supplying 12v to the others?

YndH8wI.png

Generally speaking, if you have a four pin relay and have no idea what pin is what, you can start with an ohmmeter and test between any two terminals looking for about 20 or 30 ohms.
As long as it's not zero ohms (or really close to zero) or open line (OL), then your reading the resistance of the coil.

The coil it the one that gets 12 volts.

Then the other two pins switch from OL to zero ohms or vice versa when the coil is powered.

Back