How do I get the Infotainment volume to reduce when the navigation lady speaks

You don't need to do that. The volume knob affects whatever is active. So if you adjust it while she is speaking it will adjust her. You'll even see the volume indicator change to show that. Likewise if you're on the phone.

But you do have a dedicated volume setting for the GPS lady's instructions isn't it? The OP can set this to max volume cos i am sure he/she wouldn't be listening to music on full blast. So when the GPS lady speaks her volume would be the highest.

Is my understanding correct?

I’ve experienced this as well. Just have to keep the radio a bit lower when using nav. I believe most cars do lower volume for the nav as well so it is odd that Mazda doesn’t.

I do like how it plays the directions from the driver side speaker though.

But you do have a dedicated volume setting for the GPS lady's instructions isn't it? The OP can set this to max volume cos i am sure he/she wouldn't be listening to music on full blast. So when the GPS lady speaks her volume would be the highest.

Is my understanding correct?

You do have the dedicated volume within the Nav settings, so you can preset the volume but adjusting the volume with the knob next to the Command knob adjusts the same thing (when GPS lady is speaking). I wouldn't go max on the GPS lady's volume, maybe 5-10 above your normal listening level.

Also, on my '16, the steering wheel volume control doesn't effect the nav volume so I can turn down the music level with that even when GPS lady is talking.

GPs volume is buried in the nav settings and is independent from audio volume so if you turn the radio down because somebody is napping gps isn't included, dumb. GPs volume should be set as a % of audio volume.

Then if you go by that, if you have audio volume low and GPS speaks, that will be even lower

Unless I am missing something, nothing would be heard not even the GPS voice

I don't understand the confusion here. Set audio where you like it. When Nav lady speaks, adjust her volume. Everything is at the volume you want. Could it be easier? Percentage makes no sense. What if I want the radio low because people are talking, but NAV lady high so I don't miss her?

GPs volume is 3-4 menus down in the nav unit and independent from the audio volume. The the volume knob should be all inclusive.

If in the nav settings the control was to set as a percentage of the audio (say 120%) then everybody's happy

Last edited:
GPs volume is 3-4 menus down in the nav unit and independent from the audio volume. The the volume knob should be all inclusive.

If in the nav settings the control was to set as a percentage of the audio (say 120%) then everybody's happy

So if the radio is really loud, the nav voice would be louder? I wouldn't want that. So I don't see that being the solution either. No matter what, there is no way to make everyone happy.

I like the VW solution which is to set a max media volume for when the nav or system prompts are speaking.

Everybody should be happy with full time on-the-fly control. It's perfectly implemented as is. Why drilling until menus to adjust would be your preferred method...I hink you're alone there.

Last edited:
You don't need to do that. The volume knob affects whatever is active. So if you adjust it while she is speaking it will adjust her. You'll even see the volume indicator change to show that. Likewise if you're on the phone.

Correct. This method works on my 2017 CX9 and on my son's 2018 CX5.

Back