USB port in Center Elbow Rest

Caspan

:
2013 Mazda CX-5
I just purchased a Sony XAV-AX100 and want to use the existing USB port that is in the center console where you put your elbow on for my phone and Android Auto. Does anyone know how to get this to work with an aftermarket stereo?

Sorry I need the USB port in my arm rest to connect to the new Sony head unit so i can use Android Auto. In the CX-5 there is a Aux and USB port in the center console that goes from there to a Bluetooth module under the dash and from there to the head unit. I was hoping someone was successful in using the existing USB cable to connect to the USB from the back of the Sony stereo as I don't need the builtin Bluetooth for the car anymore once I get this stereo. Everything that I have read people a just running their own USB cable to the arm rest and hacking it into the port or making their own port in the beside the existing one.

Believe what you read on this forum. Whenever factory head unit is removed original USB no longer works. The only alternative I know of is to run USB cable from the SONY to that location. Not that big of a deal really. Am I missing something?

Yeah I have been looking around and posting on a few different threads. I am still looking for a way to use the in car USB port. I am looking to find the Bluetooth unit under the dash and see how the current USB cable terminates there. I might just end up doing my own USB cable to the arm rest and hack the USB port there or just leave it hanging there also.. Right now it is exiting the vent below the head unit because of where i have my phone mount. I found I was putting my phone in the glove box and I was forgetting it! SO maybe even placing it in the center arm rest might not work for me!

Yeah I have been looking around and posting on a few different threads. I am still looking for a way to use the in car USB port. I am looking to find the Bluetooth unit under the dash and see how the current USB cable terminates there. I might just end up doing my own USB cable to the arm rest and hack the USB port there or just leave it hanging there also.. Right now it is exiting the vent below the head unit because of where i have my phone mount. I found I was putting my phone in the glove box and I was forgetting it! SO maybe even placing it in the center arm rest might not work for me!
Yep the best way to re-use factory USB ports is to trace the USB cable up to the BT module, cut it off and use a quality USB cable extension routes to the ISB port at the back of your Sony XAV-AX100.

Here is an excellent write up by RG_Flyer who installed an aftermarket infotainment system into his 2016 CX-5 Sport. In addition to BlueTooth connection and color touch screen, I believe RG_Flyer also figured out a way to make steering wheel audio controls work with the system! (cool)

Finally! The correct parts for the 2016 CX-5 Sport:

I went to the link and I'm obviously missing something. I haven't read any reviews of the aftermarket USB adapter where they actually say it works - why I advised to run a new cable to the factory location. I am interested to know what is what as well because I bought one of those adapters myself but haven't tackled the install yet of my AVIC-8200NEX

Back