VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas

Thread: LED Headlights on the Mazda5

Registered Member

Mazda5

LED Headlights on the Mazda5

Hey guys,

Anyone try an led kit on your 5? I found an old thread from 2013 but didnít amount to much. Anyone try it or can link me to a kit? There are a few on eBay for around 20-30 bucks...anyone have any experience or can provide a good bulb replacement?

Registered Member

2012 Mazda5 Sport AT

Haven't heard good things. I know Tom's Hardware tried to do it and they were wholly unsatisfied. If you want more light get HIDs or do the cheap thing (like I did) and use H9 instead of H11 bulbs. Significantly more lumens, lower price, but shorter life. You either need to buy a harness adapter or be cheap and cut the tabs on the H9s to fit (once again, what I did).
    Completed mods: 15% tint all around | Class I trailer hitch | JKS Rear Spoiler | OEM bumper guard | OEM roof rack | Thule 872XT fairing | Hella Supertone Horns

Registered Member

2012 Mazda 5

Quote Originally Posted by E11 View Post
    Hey guys,

Anyone try an led kit on your 5? I found an old thread from 2013 but didn’t amount to much. Anyone try it or can link me to a kit? There are a few on eBay for around 20-30 bucks...anyone have any experience or can provide a good bulb replacement?
    Depending which thread you found. One thread basically concluded - don't get it.
    Our headlights are not designed for the LED light pattern.
    HID would be a better chage if you get a reasonable qiality AC volatage type or H11.

LEDs still don't have nearly the luminous point intensity of a filament, and that's what's going to contribute in large part to the "punch" of the beam. I very much doubt there's one out there that can outperform a 9011/HIR1 bulb placed in our stock main beam reflectors. It's very easy to modify one (even easier than the H9/H11 modification), the wattage is identical to stock, and they will put out in the neighborhood of 2400-2500 lumens each. The color temperature is slightly higher than the 9005 bulbs, but subtlely so.

The beam pattern is very nice and they really carve through the night. You have to be very careful with them but they are amazing on a country road.
    Last edited by Vasy; 04-03-2018 at 11:55 AM.

It's a Space Wagon!!!!!!! zoomzoom mazda5's Avatar
    Donated: $5

mazda5 2006, Focus ST

Did mine back in 06 or 07 with a kit I got from Ebay. It was a HID kit work great till I sold my 5 about 4 yrs ago.
    ZOOMZOOM