New feature - 360 view.

I do think the rear cross traffic alert works well and I’m glad we at least get that here.

I kinda disagree but its also possible the cars Ive driven with cameras were not that good...... Recent Infiniti rental had them and they were blurry and distorted.

yup, there are times when conditions prohibit the 360 cameras from working very well. just another reason to have both systems.

this thread is starting to remind me of the "sport button" threads, where those that don't have it seem to think they know about it (and its perceived usefulless) than those that do.

Years ago when I first moved from a car to a RAV4, I thought parking sensors were for people that couldn’t drive. Then I realised that small cars disappeared out of sight when reversing and all of a sudden they made sense. When I first read about RCTA, I thought thats just a gimmick that they have tacked on to the blind spot monitoring because its convenient. Then when I got it and realised that when backing out of some of the parking bays in an underground garage, it could pick out movement that I’d absolutely no chance of seeing - even somebody walking. Now all of a sudden they are making a lot of sense - they are superb.

I guess with all these aids (as they should be considered), as long as they are used with the rest of your senses, eyes, ears and don’t forget that your head still turns, they improve the situation. The same can be said of SCBS but if you start relying on them to take responsibility for proper driving (my pet hate of assing around with mobile phones springs to mind as well as just becoming plain lazy), then you are getting on thin ice. Its why I prefer to call them “aids”.

BTW, when I worked at Ferodo, every now and again, the vehicle manufacturers would call us in for a pep talk on how we must provide a 5 year plan on year on year price decreases for brake pads they had already screwed us to the floor for. They argued that the buyers wanted more and more extras without price increases in order for them to remain competitive. It was nothing to do with them wanting to increase their profits. Nevertheless, the VMs do consider how they will absorb the cost of these extras or in which way they can pass some on (as part of an extras pack). Over here, 360 cameras have been added to Nissan QashQai (pronounced Cashki - your Rogue) and they sell cars like hot cakes. Its a very popular selling toy that hooks buyers like flies to a cow poo.

Over here, 360 cameras have been added to Nissan QashQai (pronounced Cashki - your Rogue) and they sell cars like hot cakes. Its a very popular selling toy that hooks buyers like flies to a cow poo.

I had this feature on my Rogue. I do miss it. It would be great if my 18 CX5 had it.

Well said anchorman!

And even though it’s less needed on the GTI than CX-5 it’s still helpful. All modern cars have thick pillars that reduce visibility. Even the small ones.

I am thankful for the alerts I get when I back out in a busy parking lot with both cars and people moving around. I use my eyes as I have for 40+ years but stuff happens quick and when the beeping starts I stop.

I'm only referring to parking sensors, which I have on my Volvo...not the rear cross traffic alert which I also love. I cannot begin to talk about how handy that is in my day to day. So I do know what I'm talking about re: sport button comment above.
I love the rear parking sensors. Don't get me wrong.
Just saying: the rear backup camera 100% negates the need for the REAR parking sensors. And I'll stop beating that dead horse. [emoji4]

Camera

Hello!

I have a 2017 GT. What would it take to have the optional 360 degree camera? My wife had it on her SUV, and I love it! Its great when parking so you dont curb the bumper.

Any thoughts?

I'm only referring to parking sensors, which I have on my Volvo...not the rear cross traffic alert which I also love. I cannot begin to talk about how handy that is in my day to day. So I do know what I'm talking about re: sport button comment above.
I love the rear parking sensors. Don't get me wrong.
Just saying: the rear backup camera 100% negates the need for the REAR parking sensors. And I'll stop beating that dead horse. [emoji4]

Yes I did mix the two up but I agree. The camera takes away the need for the sensors. Having the Birdseye view monitor will help people in tight situations.

Again not necessarily. If your not paying attention to the camera (read distracted which sad to say happens a lot to drivers) whilst reversing, the sensors are a last resort warning.

And the sensors usually have a little better range. I think it would really depend on execution. Backups always good though.

And the sensors usually have a little better range. I think it would really depend on execution. Backups always good though.

Correct not to mention the issue some owners have complained about here - the camera - visibility becomes next to useless when raining (aka droplets distort the camera view). Hence having read sensors is a plus in this situation

Correct not to mention the issue some owners have complained about here - the camera - visibility becomes next to useless when raining (aka droplets distort the camera view). Hence having read sensors is a plus in this situation

Yup I’ve found this to be an issue with the backup camera on ours.

Hello!

I have a 2017 GT. What would it take to have the optional 360 degree camera? My wife had it on her SUV, and I love it! Its great when parking so you dont curb the bumper.

Any thoughts?
  • Setting up extra 3 cameras around the vehicle
  • Wiring them to the relevant module(s)
  • Changes to MZD connect software that governs camera display on screen
  • Installation of switch to enable 360 when required
  • Probably other things that I haven't mentioned

Mines very poor at night.
I routinely rub my finger over the rear camera as I know it will be dirty if the roads are wet, Xtrail was the same, I think its fair to say that it you have a car that attracts dirt to the rear, then regular cleaning is required.

Yup I’ve found this to be an issue with the backup camera on ours.

Mines very poor at night.
I routinely rub my finger over the rear camera as I know it will be dirty if the roads are wet, Xtrail was the same, I think its fair to say that it you have a car that attracts dirt to the rear, then regular cleaning is required.

I live in a rainy region and noticed the rain drops on the display right off. What I have done is use a hydroscopic detailer to wipe the lens each time I wash. It does not eliminate the problem but it helps quite a bit. The product I use is Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer.

As I quick detail the car I give the camera lens a good swipe then clean with a microfiber cloth. I would bet that Optimum OptiSeal would work equally or even better as it can be applied to glass. Rain drops will slide off and the slickness helps to keep dirt from accumulating.

Back