Auto unlock options?

MattGoose

:
CX-9
I wish there were an easier way to unlock the car when you approach.

My wife's Jeep GC unlocks when you grab the handle to open.

My CX-9 is setup to lock when I walk away - is there any good reason it couldn't be setup to unlock when I approach? Any known way to do that?

you can use the button on the front door handles if the keys are in your pocket.....

No--that's too hard. OP is looking for an "easier" way.

Maybe OP can find replacement door handles that have the sensor on the back of the handle like his Jeep which are compatible with Mazda, and replace them. That would make it "easier"....

#FirstWorldProblems

you can use the button on the front door handles if the keys are in your pocket.....
That's just as bad as making me press a button to start the car. It should automatically start when I sit down in the driver's seat with the key fob in my pocket....

No--that's too hard. OP is looking for an "easier" way.

Maybe OP can find replacement door handles that have the sensor on the back of the handle like his Jeep which are compatible with Mazda, and replace them. That would make it "easier"....

#FirstWorldProblems

Was your mother mean to you as a kid?

Go waste someone else's time.

That's just as bad as making me press a button to start the car. It should automatically start when I sit down in the driver's seat with the key fob in my pocket....

Get a Tesla Model S- Walk up to it (with fob in pocket) and the doors unlock and the handles present themselves. Sit down and step on the brake and put the car in D or R and take off. I think the Model X even pops the doors open for you if you press on the handles. Or you could push a button or two yourself and get two or three CX9's for the same price.

Wow found the aholes right here.

The CX-9's door lock/unlock implementation is bad. If you turn on the feature to lock it when you walk away, it locks before you can walk around to the other side of the vehicle. I have two kids - and all their crap - to wrangle in and out of the car.

The unlock is worse - no buttons on the rear doors and if you do unlock it it locks again before you get to the other side.

If you can set it lock when you walk away, why can't you set it to unlock when you walk up? Why can't you change the distance at which it locks?

If you have nothing useful to add, then don't bother.

Wow found the aholes right here.

We sure did.

The CX-9's door lock/unlock implementation is bad. If you turn on the feature to lock it when you walk away, it locks before you can walk around to the other side of the vehicle. I have two kids - and all their crap - to wrangle in and out of the car.

The unlock is worse - no buttons on the rear doors and if you do unlock it it locks again before you get to the other side.

If you can set it lock when you walk away, why can't you set it to unlock when you walk up? Why can't you change the distance at which it locks?

If you have nothing useful to add, then don't bother.
You keep asking "Why?" How do you think this will help solve the "You just can't" result?

There are no buttons on the rear doors because--it costs more. Period.

If you set the car to autolock when you walk away--well then turn the feature off if it doesn't work for you.

You aren't special because you have kids you have to put in the back seat--it's a family-oriented vehicle.... I had the same issue 11 years ago when I had my 1st car with a proximity key, and no buttons on the rear doors. I can assure you that you will get through this. It does suck that you can't completely customize every feature of this car to your liking. No need to go into a rage about it.

If this was so important, shouldn't you have asked the dealer all these questions before you purchased?

Last edited:
Agreed

Coming from a GC this is at the top of the list of annoyances that should work better than they do

We sure did.

You keep asking "Why?" How do you think this will help solve the "You just can't" result?

There are no buttons on the rear doors because--it costs more. Period.

If you set the car to autolock when you walk away--well then turn the feature off if it doesn't work for you.

You aren't special because you have kids you have to put in the back seat--it's a family-oriented vehicle.... I had the same issue 11 years ago when I had my 1st car with a proximity key, and no buttons on the rear doors. I can assure you that you will get through this. It does suck that you can't completely customize every feature of this car to your liking. No need to go into a rage about it.

If this was so important, shouldn't you have asked the dealer all these questions before you purchased?

Wow - you are just about as special as they come.

Stop wasting your time typing more words.

Seriously.

Thank you.

They've instituted a needlessly complicated system and one that doesn't work very well at that.

I am trying to understand what the challenge is here, since i haven't played with the CX-9 keyless lock/unlock options much.
The only setting i changed was to have all doors unlock/lock with a single press of the button.

Pressing the little button on the handle is actually working really well to lock/unlock. I like it.
My last two cars (Toyota and Audi) had the unlock/lock option when you grab/touch the handle, like the GC, but it did not seem to me to work any better. I still had to pull the handle. Same "effort".

The Audi actually had lock/unlock keyless doors on the rear too, i admit. (the audi was also $55k new) :)
I don't miss the rear door feature one bit though, because i always grab the front door handle to unlock the car anyway. It's a habit for me.

For some reason, i have never experienced the auto-lock feature in my CX-9. It must be disabled on my car. I can walk away from it and the next morning it will be still unlocked, unless i used the remote or handle button to lock it.
I assume i can enable this feature somehow, but is it unreliable?? Sounds like OP is not happy with it. I have 3 kids too, so i know what it takes to load and unload them. :)

Last edited:
I wish there were an easier way to unlock the car when you approach.

My wife's Jeep GC unlocks when you grab the handle to open.

My CX-9 is setup to lock when I walk away - is there any good reason it couldn't be setup to unlock when I approach? Any known way to do that?

Mazda actually had this feature previously. On my old 2010 6 GT, the front door handles had sensors that detected when you slid your hand in and unlocked automatically. They worked, but they were really finicky, I prefer the redundancy of the push button style personally

I am trying to understand what the challenge is here, since i haven't played with the CX-9 keyless lock/unlock options much.
The only setting i changed was to have all doors unlock/lock with a single press of the button.

Pressing the little button on the handle is actually working really well to lock/unlock. I like it.
My last two cars (Toyota and Audi) had the unlock/lock option when you grab/touch the handle, like the GC, but it did not seem to me to work any better. I still had to pull the handle. Same "effort".

The Audi actually had lock/unlock keyless doors on the rear too, i admit. (the audi was also $55k new) :)
I don't miss the rear door feature one bit though, because i always grab the front door handle to unlock the car anyway. It's a habit for me.

For some reason, i have never experienced the auto-lock feature in my CX-9. It must be disabled on my car. I can walk away from it and the next morning it will be still unlocked, unless i used the remote or handle button to lock it.
I assume i can enable this feature somehow, but is it unreliable?? Sounds like OP is not happy with it. I have 3 kids too, so i know what it takes to load and unload them. :)

You can activate the auto lock feature in the vehicle options - I think it's called walk away lock or something. Mine was off by default when I took delivery of the car.

The idea is great... My keys are almost always in my pocket, so having the car lock when I leave makes great sense. Unfortunately, it keeps you on a really tight leash - if you walk around the back of the car to the passenger side, it locks. So I get out of the car, get the kid out from behind me and then walk around the car to get kid 2.... And the car has locked on me.

My original question, before I found the salty guys here, was why we couldn't have any auto unlock feature as well. If it locks automatically when you leave, could the reverse be implemented. My guess is that the car goes to "sleep" and you would have to wake it somehow, at which point just use the keys.

I like the GC implementation for unlcoking better because it unlocks when you slide your hand behind the handle - you don't have to pull anything. When your hands are full of stuff, it's a lot easier to get a finger behind the door handle than find the tiny button. Also - it just worked every time. Hitting the button on my CX-9 is a bit hit or miss - mostly attributable to user error, but still frustrating.

Mazda actually had this feature previously. On my old 2010 6 GT, the front door handles had sensors that detected when you slid your hand in and unlocked automatically. They worked, but they were really finicky, I prefer the redundancy of the push button style personally

That's perfectly fair - if the system is poorly implemented then it's just a bad idea.

The ones on my wife's GC are pretty much flawless. Slide a finger back there and the car opens - it's great when all you have left is the pinky finger on your left hand.

That's perfectly fair - if the system is poorly implemented then it's just a bad idea.

The ones on my wife's GC are pretty much flawless. Slide a finger back there and the car opens - it's great when all you have left is the pinky finger on your left hand.

Some manufacturers are like that (ex. Toyota/Lexus) where you just slide your hand/fingers on the door handle and it unlocks but Mazda and other manufacturers like Hyundai are push button. I personally have no issues with it so why Mazda did it that way I don't know but not every glove fits all hands right?

Now with regard to the auto unlock feature that would be nice but most manufacturers I believe stick to more of the safety and cautious approach as it could be a safety issue in the event that someone is able to get in your vehicle even before you could. I haven't heard of a vehicle with that auto unlock feature and if there are then these could be the high-end brands. I like the lock away feature of Mazda and have never experienced that having owned other brands but I personally don't have an issue with not having the auto unlock.

Some manufacturers are like that (ex. Toyota/Lexus) where you just slide your hand/fingers on the door handle and it unlocks but Mazda and other manufacturers like Hyundai are push button. I personally have no issues with it so why Mazda did it that way I don't know but not every glove fits all hands right?

Now with regard to the auto unlock feature that would be nice but most manufacturers I believe stick to more of the safety and cautious approach as it could be a safety issue in the event that someone is able to get in your vehicle even before you could. I haven't heard of a vehicle with that auto unlock feature and if there are then these could be the high-end brands. I like the lock away feature of Mazda and have never experienced that having owned other brands but I personally don't have an issue with not having the auto unlock.

If that were really the case then Mazda (or any other manufacturer) would not allow you to unlock all doors using the keyfob because someone could get in the car before you.

The real reason/issue is that to have a feature like MattGoose is looking for would cost additional money and Mazda does not deem it important enough to justify spending money to include this feature. It's not exactly a dealbreaker or game-changing feature so they know that they can leave it out and still sell the car at the current price.

MattGoose: FWIW, I agree with you. Don't let some other peoples' harsh responses get you down. This is a poor/outdated/cheap implementation of the key-free unlock feature. Even my VW (that cost $15k less than my CX-9) unlocks when you put your hand on either of the front door handles (as long as fingers are behind the handle...or you can simply slide/wave your hand behind the handle) and it's much preferred to having to find Mazda's little black button.

And now that our first newborn has arrived I'm running into the same issue where the doors automatically lock when walking around the car to get something from the other side. At the very least, this problem could be solved with updated firmware/programming from Mazda but I doubt they care enough to spend time/money/resources addressing it.

Back