Engine vibration waiting at red light

Glad you noticed the problem early and your dealer was able to locate the cause of the problem and fixed it.

Very appreciate your post about resolution of you problem. Many people don't bother to post again after the problem got resolved.
Yes i wanted to make sure problem was solved before .

Dealer said that many have the same issue but apparently its nothing to worry about .

Transmission support approx $165 cdn under warranty

Mine just started idling rough a couple of days ago. Like the OP says, after its fully warmed up after about 15 minutes of driving. Sitting at a stop light, a few seconds after coming to a complete stop, it does a little shudder every second or so, feeling almost like it wants to stall. Watching the tach, it's idling around 500 rpm but I can see the needle dip every time it shudders. I put it in neutral to see what happens, and it actually feels slightly worse than when it's in gear.

I just filled up with Shell regular, at a station I've filled up at many times before with no problem. I don't know if I should throw in a can of Seafoam, or wait til I'm almost empty and fill up again and see if I just got a bad tankful, or take it to the dealer. It's only about 3 months old with under 4k miles. Very unsettling, because it was running and idling perfectly smoothly up until a few days ago, and I can SEE it in the tach as well as feel it.

That sounds like the a/c cutting in and out. Turn it off and see if it still does it.
A/C was off, as was the windshield defroster. Interestingly, though, this morning I had the defroster on and the problem wasn't as bad. Still there, but not quite as pronounced.

Edit: Well, the yellow CEL came on this afternoon, so something is obviously amiss. Going to the dealer tomorrow. Just what I need.

Last edited:
Bad coil! Strange, because I've had coils go before on other cars and they would run like total crap, usually on just 3 cylinders. This time it only idled rough after it warmed up, but regular driving around felt fine. Anyway, all fixed now, and nice and clean, too.

The 2.5L CX5 engine with a counter shaft is a smooth running engine 99% of the time. When I notice it a little rough at idle, I usually give it a good kick in a lower gear to 3,000 rpm or so and it returns to good. A miss fire will give a CEL. Ed

Bad coil! Strange, because I've had coils go before on other cars and they would run like total crap, usually on just 3 cylinders. This time it only idled rough after it warmed up, but regular driving around felt fine. Anyway, all fixed now, and nice and clean, too.
Thanks for reporting back. Apparently the bad coil you had was only acting up at certain situation but not totally out of the service, and the affected cylinder was not totally out of functioning so that your CX-5 was not running only 3 cylinders. But I feel bad transmission mount and bad coil really should not happen on such new vehicles. Are these the evidence of poorer quality control on 2nd-gen CX-5?

No, the sky isn't falling. Everything is comparative. Engine mount、transmission mount、ignition coil just shouldn't fail for almost brand new vehicles. When I joined the forum in early 2015, I had never seen such problems from those new 2016 CX-5's other than some transmission failures. I guess that's why Consumer Reports predicted brand reliability on Mazda has dropped to #12 for 2018 from #4 in 2015:

2018 Consumer Reports Reliability: Spoiler Mazda #12

No, the sky isn't falling. Everything is comparative. Engine mount、transmission mount、ignition coil just shouldn't fail for almost brand new vehicles. When I joined the forum in early 2015, I had never seen such problems from those new 2016 CX-5's other than some transmission failures. I guess that's why Consumer Reports predicted brand reliability on Mazda has dropped to #12 for 2018 from #4 in 2015:

2018 Consumer Reports Reliability: Spoiler Mazda #12

Buy a Toyota then with oversized pistons.

Thanks for reporting back. Apparently the bad coil you had was only acting up at certain situation but not totally out of the service, and the affected cylinder was not totally out of functioning so that your CX-5 was not running only 3 cylinders. But I feel bad transmission mount and bad coil really should not happen on such new vehicles. Are these the evidence of poorer quality control on 2nd-gen CX-5?
I don't think so -- mechanical things fail. If they were regular occurrences, I'd be concerned; but they seem mostly isolated. I had a coil go bad big time in MINI at under a year old -- 3 cylinders, limp mode, sounded like cylinders were swapping parts. I had another MINI two days when the variable valve controller went south. Stuff happens. But I had almost three years with zero mechanical issues on my previous Mazda 3. I'm just glad it was something fairly simple that they could fix quickly, and not something worse, like mice chewing up a wiring harness (happened to my wife's car).

Mechanical repairs, something that was common on a Ford Ranger I had in the eighties. 2-3 trips every year for something. Headlights kept blowing out. I got pretty quick at replacing and kept a spare in the garage. Three ECU failures. First one died in the middle of the Interstate. After the third I’d had enough. Bought a Toyota. . It was Day and night.

Back