Engine vibration waiting at red light

Nick027

:
mazda cx 5 gs 2017
My 2017 cx 5 engine will sometime vibrate waiting at a red light maybe after 30 min of driving around .
Technician says its a common thing with Mazda and absolutely nothing to worry about .
Just wondering if others think so?

My 2017 cx 5 engine will sometime vibrate waiting at a red light maybe after 30 min of driving around .
Technician says its a common thing with Mazda and absolutely nothing to worry about .
Just wondering if others think so?

Isnt this the third thread youve mentioned this vibration thing?

Man, I get worrying about a new thing. Also, the cx5 has a lot of nvh from the engine. Next oil change, have them inspect the motor mounts if you dont feel confident that you can adequately do so, and if all is well there, motor on. I'm 99.99% sure it's normal in your vehicles case.

The SkyActiv 2.5L is a noisy, vibrating engine from the get go.

Just have a look and listen when the bonnet is open.

Nothing new there.

That said during driving, vibrations should not be noticeable except on cold start up.

Last edited:
I have a 2 liter engine 2017 and it is quiet and does not vibrate. The whole car is a lot quieter than my old BMW E91. Can not complain!

Unfortunately there's only so much you can do to make a big 2.5L I-4 run smoothly. The (inherently balanced) 2.5L H-4 in the 2002 Subaru Forester I drove previously was actually a fair bit smoother than the 2.5L I-4 in my new CX-5. The Mazda sounds a bit gruff when you give it a lot of gas off the line, but is otherwise pretty tolerable.

At a stoplight, try pushing your foot down a bit harder on the brake pedal. This should cause the transmission to slip into N and reduce vibrations through the wheel.

The SkyActiv 2.5L is a noisy, vibrating engine from the get go.

Just have a look and listen when the bonnet is open.

Nothing new there.

That said during driving, vibrations should not be noticeable except on cold start up.

It's a rough engine even when driving, compared to some of the 4 cylinder cars I've been in/owned/driven. It's just a noisy bugger that vibrates a lot.

At a stoplight, try pushing your foot down a bit harder on the brake pedal. This should cause the transmission to slip into N and reduce vibrations through the wheel.

Cause the transmission to do WHAT???

Yep. The torque converter disengages to reduce drag at a stop. When you release the brake, you can feel a little nudge as it re-engages. I believe all SkyActiv automatic transmissions function this way.

Yep. The torque converter disengages to reduce drag at a stop. When you release the brake, you can feel a little nudge as it re-engages. I believe all SkyActiv automatic transmissions function this way.

Whatever gave you that idea?

Whatever gave you that idea?

There's some discussion here, here and here, but I don't have a copy of the service manual handy to corroborate this.

I noticed my CX-5 roll back two or three inches taking off from a steep incline before "catching", which I suppose would make sense if the torque converter is disengaging at a stop.

There's some discussion here, here and here, but I don't have a copy of the service manual handy to corroborate this.

I noticed my CX-5 roll back two or three inches taking off from a steep incline before "catching", which I suppose would make sense if the torque converter is disengaging at a stop.

A quick scan of those links seems to show that most comments are debunking your statement.
The TC slips at a stop; that's its main purpose. The tranny does not go into neutral unless you put it there. The control/safety issues would be massive.

Can you explain what would cause this behavior in my CX-5 if it's not the torque converter re-engaging after taking my foot from the brake?

1. Foot off brake
2. 1/2 sec later, vehicle slowly starts moving forward
3. Steadily idles forward

More posts here suggesting the TC disengages at a stop.

Can you explain what would cause this behavior in my CX-5 if it's not the torque converter re-engaging after taking my foot from the brake?

1. Foot off brake
2. 1/2 sec later, vehicle slowly starts moving forward
3. Steadily idles forward

More posts here suggesting the TC disengages at a stop.

Now, we agree that the TC "disengages" or "slips"; that's just terminology. But you said the tranny goes into N, and that just can't be.

AFAIK it shouldn't roll back on account of Hill Launch Assist (HLA)

If you think about it, it’s no different than pulling up to a stop in a vehicle with a stick. Stick in neutral with your foot on the brake. No advantage to riding the clutch, is there? Mazda is smart about doing this to reduce parasitic drag.

My apologies for the confusion.

Last edited:
Isn’t this the third thread you’ve mentioned this vibration thing?
It could be but finally got my answer.
Brought it in for an oil change ,the dealer had to change a support for the transmission.

So no more engine vibration at red lights.

Cause the transmission to do WHAT???

Now, we agree that the TC "disengages" or "slips"; that's just terminology. But you said the tranny goes into N, and that just can't be.
Exactly! Someone also said on the other day that our SkyActiv-Drive transmission will shift gear into "Natural" by itself when the vehicle is stopped with foot on brake. He also said it's described in the service manual. But I couldn't find anything in "service manual" describing this, nor a copy of such description posted from any Mazda official documents!

And I just did a test on the other day. With vehicle stopped in "Drive" and left foot on brake, if I press the gas pedal, my CX-5 is trying to lurch forward. The transmission definitely is not been shifted into "Natural"!

It could be but finally got my answer.
Brought it in for an oil change ,the dealer had to change a support for the transmission.

So no more engine vibration at red lights.
Glad you noticed the problem early and your dealer was able to locate the cause of the problem and fixed it.

Very appreciate your post about resolution of you problem. Many people don't bother to post again after the problem got resolved.

Back