New CX-9 Owner

:
Mazda CX-9 GT 2018 White
Hi all!

Recently I got a new CX-9 2017 Grand Touring and the overall experience have been good so far. Still, I have some minor issues or annoyances:

1. The exterior door plastics (glossy black) trims have swirls marks and stains from the factory, don't know if this is a common issue or not. Anyways, I'm taking it back to the dealer so it can be rectified.

2. The headlamps shake. I can see the light cut reflected in other cars at front shaking and it annoys me a little bit, any others with this issue or this is normal for been an adaptive light system?

Thank you all.

Hi all!

Recently I got a new CX-9 2017 Grand Touring and the overall experience have been good so far. Still, I have some minor issues or annoyances:

1. The exterior door plastics (glossy black) trims have swirls marks and stains from the factory, don't know if this is a common issue or not. Anyways, I'm taking it back to the dealer so it can be rectified.

2. The headlamps shake. I can see the light cut reflected in other cars at front shaking and it annoys me a little bit, any others with this issue or this is normal for been an adaptive light system?

Thank you all.

As for the glossy black trims by the door these swirl marks are common as acrylic easily scratches...why Mazda and a lot of manufacturers use them I don't know. The swirl marks can easily be buffed up using car wax and will look glossy again but the swirl marks won't go away completely but less visible.

For the headlamps, unfortunately LED headlights are like that vs halogens and HIDs...yes can be annoying but the benefits of LEDs still outweigh the annoyances vs having halogens or HIDs. I've had experiences with all types of headlamps and I still prefer the LEDs for their brightness.

BTW, congrats on your new CX9...truly a great ride!

Actually, is it normal for the active display reflection to vibrate on uneven or bumpy roads? There is always a minor shake even when driving on normal road conditions.

I get the shaking of the LED headlamps too, but I don't get any issues with the Active Display.

Well, my dealer is still verifying the headlamps and other situations. Weirdly, a fly died inside the instrument cluster, just below the LCD display. How did it get there escapes my imagination, I mean, obviously there must be an open space big enough for a small fly to get in. So, the tech guy is verifying the panel and trying to remove the fly. Sadly, I forgot to take a picture of it.

Well, the dealer removed the insect and didn't find anything wrong with the headlamps but they schedule another service to follow up the issue with the master technician.

All issues are likely normal. Piano black trim will always scratch, no matter how well you take care of it. This includes the interior piano black trims. The headlights will appear to be more "loose", I've found that this happens on a lot of cars that have the Adaptive Headlamp System (when the headlights swivel in the direction you're turning). This is just because there are more moving parts in these lamps. It happened in my IS250, and happens on my dad's new SUV, my sister's sedan, and her boyfriend's sedan. I've noticed that the ADD does "flicker" when driving on uneven roads, and many reviewers have noted it as well. It doesn't bother me, but I can see how it would be annoying to others. I'm not sure if it would be covered as a warranty issue by Mazda, but it's definitely something they can improve upon.

My previous car was a Mazda 6 GT 2014 w/eloop and also had the adaptive lighting system and compared to my CX9 the difference is day and night. I mean, there were a little vibration in the Mazda 6 which I expected due to road conditions but the cx9 its constantly even in good roads. The only difference between the two is led vs. bi-xenon in the Mazda 6. I will try to take a video with my DSLR just to see if it is a real issue or just my miserable OCD.

The B pillar are not just scratched by the dealer btw, they are stained and faded. The dealer decided to change all the trims after considering fixing them with their detailer guy. This is a new 2017 and I don't know how long it was stored nor storage conditions. They also decided to replace the infotainment display because they found humidity inside it. Only visible when direct sunlight hit the screen.

Hi, I found a video on youtube that shows the headlights vibration that I'm reffering to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHaP_f9jWyA&t=630s go to the minute 27:00 which is more visible the vibration. Is this normal with your CX-9s?

Are you talking about the "movement" of the HUD display? I'm not seeing any headlight vibration.The up and down of the HUD isn't vibration.The movement is exactly just what the suspension is doing.

Sorry, I'm not referring to the HUD or Active Display. If you look closely to the horizontal cut-off line projected by the headlights in the car at the front, you can see a vibration or shake, not just the normal up and down. Can't you see it?

Sorry, I'm not referring to the HUD or Active Display. If you look closely to the horizontal cut-off line projected by the headlights in the car at the front, you can see a vibration or shake, not just the normal up and down. Can't you see it?

I can see it. I would consider that normal based on the road imperfections. Mine don't look anything like that on most of the roads I travel on.

Back