Damage to Brand New CX5

Aw man it hurts just by looking at the photo. Ridiculous but makes me want to install dashcams all around.

That's a sicking sight for sure, I feel your pain. Similar incident happened to me a week after I got mine. Any idea where you're going to bring it?

That's a sicking sight for sure, I feel your pain. Similar incident happened to me a week after I got mine. Any idea where you're going to bring it?

To the local body shop with the cleanest Facebook page, and best Google reviews that has been around 5+ years in a high-rent part of town.

Just extra eyes while you are away

Right, but why? Cops dont care, and Im not going to hunt someone down and disappear them for $350, and they'll never know anyone saw them, so all it will end up being is me watching the video getting madder and madder.

It's a hit & run.......

Right, but why? Cops dont care, and Im not going to hunt someone down and disappear them for $350, and they'll never know anyone saw them, so all it will end up being is me watching the video getting madder and madder.

It's a hit & run.......

Exactly. Up here it would get attention, particularly with the high incidents of people driving illegally with no insurance or legal registration. Still, don't know if a dash cam would have caught something happening on that side.

A dashcam is nice to have, but not so sure it would have helped in this case as it happened off to the side, as madar stated. Likely out of view of most dashcams.

I used my dashcam footage to get a refund on the deductible I paid when I claimed a moving hit and run accident. On top of that, the insurance company put me in contact with an investigator who tracked down the offender and had me pick him out in a line up. This led to charges being laid and an underage, unlicensed driver being taken off the street. Still, in Uno's case I'm not sure it would have helped any.

Could have been caused by a grocery cart with those plastic bumpers on the wire frame. They are about the correct height and would leave no scratches if pushed straight into the fender. Ed

A kid could have opened a car door into it. Kids are so careless. I hate to think that some stranger did it on purpose.

Once a costco employee hit my previous car*s rear door while moving some carts and left a ding somewhat similar to that. No paint transfer, no clear coat damage. Just a clean dent. Got a check for a little over $1k from the manager.

Once a costco employee hit my previous car*s rear door while moving some carts and left a ding somewhat similar to that. No paint transfer, no clear coat damage. Just a clean dent. Got a check for a little over $1k from the manager.

Costo you said aye?!?!?!

Well, I now officially hate "Machine Gray, Mazda 46G". Multiple body shops in my area with 1/4 million dollar paint booths absolutely refused to work on my car, or if they did, said they would blend 2 panels either side of the work, and not guarantee results (basically instant 4-figure job for a quarter sized spot...). 46G is impossible to properly paint match from all angles, apparently, so find you a donor car to pull panels off of I guess. The PDR guy (apparently the shop I originally went to called in a guy with tons of experience) fixed my dent pretty darn well, to the point I'm only mildly irritated, now, but damn, if my car gets truly bent up, it's totaled pretty much is the gist.

Paint time on 46G is 200% the cost, as you have to shoot the car twice. Maybe it will match, maybe not...

I'm glad my insurance company is blissfully ignorant about this, literally the only other cars out there with paint like this is the GT-R, and some higher end MB's with $2K+ paint options. This is a very poorly planned move on Mazda's part that goes over well in sales, but is a nightmare for an actual owner down the line. I wish I'd bought White, Black, or hell, anything but one of these colors.

Before:
58961576_10100165541721461_3672213346070822912_o.jpg

After:
2nrn0cm.jpg

Attachments

• Resized_20190430_083050_810.jpeg
    Resized_20190430_083050_810.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
That was my big fear when I had to get my front bumper replaced that the 2016 soul red couldn't be matched, but the body shop came through getting away with just painting the front bumper, was actually a perfect match. I guess there's no point in going back to the dealer and asking what they can do. Maybe it's a special process that hasn't been put out yet. Looks a hell of a lot better though. Take some advice, don't look at it so much.

That was my big fear when I had to get my front bumper replaced that the 2016 soul red couldn't be matched, but the body shop came through getting away with just painting the front bumper, was actually a perfect match. I guess there's no point in going back to the dealer and asking what they can do. Maybe it's a special process that hasn't been put out yet. Looks a hell of a lot better though. Take some advice, don't look at it so much.

Agreed. Im "okay" with it as this isn't some precious Ming vase, and it doesn't look like s*** anymore.

Well, I now officially hate "Machine Gray, Mazda 46G". Multiple body shops in my area with 1/4 million dollar paint booths absolutely refused to work on my car, or if they did, said they would blend 2 panels either side of the work, and not guarantee results (basically instant 4-figure job for a quarter sized spot...). 46G is impossible to properly paint match from all angles, apparently, so find you a donor car to pull panels off of I guess. The PDR guy (apparently the shop I originally went to called in a guy with tons of experience) fixed my dent pretty darn well, to the point I'm only mildly irritated, now, but damn, if my car gets truly bent up, it's totaled pretty much is the gist.

Paint time on 46G is 200% the cost, as you have to shoot the car twice. Maybe it will match, maybe not...

I'm glad my insurance company is blissfully ignorant about this, literally the only other cars out there with paint like this is the GT-R, and some higher end MB's with $2K+ paint options. This is a very poorly planned move on Mazda's part that goes over well in sales, but is a nightmare for an actual owner down the line. I wish I'd bought White, Black, or hell, anything but one of these colors.

PDR was the way to go with that type of damage. Even if I had an easy to match black, I would go PDR. Repaints never look as good, no matter what the color. Oh, and some Lexus' use four-stage paint. Those are a nightmare to try and match.

...or maybe you could find another PDR guy to massage that a little bit better..

Back