Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

When you drive alone, Car play and Android Auto could be great. But, when you go with your family or worse with colleagues, it could get annoying to project your phone screen to the display. I even hate the bluetooth connectivity, when I am not going alone. Besides, there is a simple solution for not having one. Just get a phone with larger display and get a nice cell phone mount. Bet, you wont miss the car play/android auto. I don't use the Mazdas GPS at all, as it is too much work to input the address. Still heads-up display is handy for all other information. As is, I am starting to love the simplicity of the infortainment system:)

Last edited:
KBB article test driving the 2018 Mazda6 indicates what is to come with AA/CarPlay:

Another bonus: Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

For this midcycle refresh, the latest Mazda6 receives a revamped interior. As the brand strives for more of a premium feel, the new Mazda6 Signature model is adorned with accoutrements such as Japanese hardwood inlays, ventilated front seats and supportive yet comfortable Nappa leather.

Thats all well and good, but what Mazda really needed was to finally get on board with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration. Its among the last automotive brand to not offer the smartphone systems as part of its infotainment system. Thankfully that will change. Mazda said this sedan will be the first to offer CarPlay and Android Auto. But its not immediate, and it comes with a catch. The two systems will be standard on Touring and above trims, but wont be available until July. At that point, if youve bought a 2018 Mazda6 youll have to take it to a dealership for the update. Mazda reps say it wont be until December that the cars will ship from the factory with systems installed.

At this point we had the same questions many customers are asking: Will older Mazdas be able to get the upgrade, and what about other models, like the popular CX-5? Unfortunately Mazda didnt have answers at this weeks event. Stay tuned seemed the words of choice. But, at long last, at least Mazda is finally getting on board with these two popular smartphone systems.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-latest/2018-mazda6-first-review/2100005409/

I couldn't give a rats ass about CarPlay. Sure, it's a nice gimmick but necessary or a deal breaker? No.

Me and the wallet are growing weary of feeling like slaves to Apple and many "must-have" technologies. I don't need that sh*^ to feel complete.

Ok, back to staring at my iPhone.
Fruitwolf

So it looks like most car companies are looking to make and use their own carplay systems, so this could be the reason they are late to the party.

So it looks like most car companies are looking to make and use their own carplay systems, so this could be the reason they are late to the party.

Apple's going to rake in the dough from all of the brand licenses and "custom" hardware lol

Apple's going to rake in the dough from all of the brand licenses and "custom" hardware lol

Yup! that's like saying that the world owes the Marconi family for inventing the radio.

Yup! that's like saying that the world owes the Marconi family for inventing the radio.

Apple is well known for their proprietary "closed systems" and the price premiums they command for those systems. They're also well known for their effective marketing.

I think that they're smart enough to continue with the way they've been doing things and find some way to capitalize on this.

There is some more info on mazda 3 revo which appears to show the actual hardware and manual.

Looks to be a replacement Aux module in the center console and one cable needs to be drawn thru. The new module will also give 2.1Amp out for charging! (Hooray!)

Agreed! While it wasn't a deal breaker, I did buy the car with the expectation that soon enough Android Auto would become available. Having used it a couple of times in rental cars, it's a much more convenient feature, especially for uploading customized navigation to the car. Patiently waiting.....

Another confirmation (albeit Australia)...

https://www.motoring.com.au/mazda-to-roll-out-apple-carplay-android-auto-113364/

Mazda to roll out Apple CarPlay, Android Auto
Australias number two vehicle brand finally embraces smartphone mirroring tech

Mazda Australia has announced it will finally rollout Apple CarPlay and Android Auto technology across its entire vehicle range by the end of this year.

However, the catch is it will be an extra-cost dealer-fit option pricing for which is yet to be confirmed for all existing models including the all-new seven-seat CX-8 diesel SUV launched this week.

The exception is the facelifted Mazda BT-50 ute line-up launched last month, which is the first Mazda model to come standard with the popular smartphone mirroring feature thats now widespread across the new-vehicle market.

That said, Mazda says Apple CarPlay and Android Auto will be fitted as standard in all new models launched from now on.

Thats likely to include upgraded versions of the CX-3, CX-9 and MX-5 due on sale in September, leaving only the CX-5 and Mazda6 (both of which were facelifted last month), plus the CX-8, Mazda2 and Mazda3 (which will be replaced next year) without the functionality as standard for now.

Mazda says all of its vehicles sold since 2014 and fitted with the companys MZD Connect infotainment system are compatible with the Apple and Android smartphone projection system retro-fit, which involves both new software and hardware.

We will start rolling this technology out on other new Mazda models [beyond BT-50] before the end of the year, said Mazda Australia marketing director, Alastair Doak.

Mazda Australia will offer, by years end, an Apple CarPlay and Android Auto upgrade kit, which will work seamlessly with the MZD Connect system. It will be available for all customers with an MZD Connect system that first went on sale with Mazda 3 in early 2014.

A customer buying a CX-8 or any other car will be able to have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto in their vehicle before the end of the year. We havent figured out the price yet we are just working through that now, he said.

Mazda acknowledges it is late to the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto party and confirmed it sought customer feedback on the technology as part of its local CX-8 market research.

But it claims it has not lost any customers due to its unavailability in models like the brands volume-selling Mazda3 or the CX-5, which remains Australias most popular SUV.

It is something that is there and you need to move with the market. Are we seeing people walk out of dealerships because we dont have it? No, said Doak.

This further confirms my suspicion that this will be an extra cost upgrade.

My question is...If true, how much are you guys willing to pay to get Android Auto and Apple Carplay in your car?

I'm curious to know how much Mazda would charge.

If it's less than 500 I will let them install it. If more, I will wait for the parts and do a self-install. Does not look like something I can't do in an afternoon.

This further confirms my suspicion that this will be an extra cost upgrade.

My question is...If true, how much are you guys willing to pay to get Android Auto and Apple Carplay in your car?

I'm curious to know how much Mazda would charge.
I'm not sure really, everything needs to feel reasonable to me. If the hard costs are too high, I might pass and if the labor costs are too high, I might do like MPCX and just buy the components and install them myself. I'm comfortable flashing the firmware, so I'm sure I could do it in an afternoon as well.

Sort story, "a couple hundred" would be ok.

My guess was going to be $300. If there is a hardware only, self install route I'd do that.

I'm not sure really, everything needs to feel reasonable to me. If the hard costs are too high, I might pass and if the labor costs are too high, I might do like MPCX and just buy the components and install them myself. I'm comfortable flashing the firmware, so I'm sure I could do it in an afternoon as well.

Sort story, "a couple hundred" would be ok.

For both cars?

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to be available as retrofit this fall

Looks like someone on the Mazda3 site already found the part numbers and ordered /installed both the AA/CP harness and the Aux unit in a new Miata. The reported cost (including shipping) was $163, and about an hour to install. (boom05) That sounds good! Although I'm sure Mazda will try to double that cost.

Oh, and the parts this guy ordered are all OEM upgrade bits from Mazda.

See post #82 in this thread. https://mazda3revolution.com/forums...cs/228689-carplay-diagram-installation-9.html

Last edited:
Looks like someone on the Mazda3 site already found the part numbers and ordered /installed both the AA/CP harness and the Aux unit in a new Miata. The reported cost (including shipping) was $163, and about an hour to install. (boom05) That sounds good! Although I'm sure Mazda will try to double that cost.

Oh, and the parts this guy ordered are all OEM upgrade bits from Mazda.

See post #82 in this thread. https://mazda3revolution.com/forums...cs/228689-carplay-diagram-installation-9.html

Very nice, this looks promising. What I am more interesting in is whether the change in hardware also brings with it improvement in output to at least 2 Amps. The current rating on the front ports is mediocre from the factory, to say the least. I imagine this was one of the baselines limiting compatibility since AA runs off the device.

Back