Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 326

Thread: Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to be available as retrofit this fall

  1. #16
    Registered Member JPL's Avatar

    2018 CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    659
    It's not a cost thing that Mazda has yet to implement AC/AA. Every brands proprietary setup plays very differently with the needs of AC/AA integration.Just the fact that Mazda's are knob control centric makes it a big challenge by itself. Companies started out wanting their own unique infotainment, and some like Toyota resisted the 3rd party integration until just recently announcing upcoming models will finally get it. Anyone think Toyota has a money problem? Mazda isn't being greedy or cheap, that's ludicrous. Fact is they've been working on it, even if they've been slow.

    Danmm7, the price of the car has nothing to do with whether or not it does or should have AC/AA. Top of the line Lexus models and other Luxury marquees still don't have it or are just soon getting it.

  2. #17
    Registered Member SK77X's Avatar
    Donated: $25

    2016 CX-5 GT, 2017 CX-9 GT

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    188
    Has it been explicitly stated that AC/AA will NOT be available as an update for 2016/7 models,... or are we still in the dark on those specifics?

  3. #18
    Registered Member

    2017 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    .... Mazda isn't being greedy or cheap, that's ludicrous. Fact is they've been working on it, even if they've been slow.

    Danmm7, the price of the car has nothing to do with whether or not it does or should have AC/AA. Top of the line Lexus models and other Luxury marquees still don't have it or are just soon getting it.
    I am still curious how 80% of all other brands figured it out, including Hyundai, Kia, GM, Subaru ....yet Mazda is waiting for 2019 to come to offer it??
    To me, this is 100% cost cutting and penny pinching for Mazda. ... Same reason they did not include heated steering, cooled seats, 360 degree camera, or better stereo, or actual useful fog lights, or front parking sensors on the '16-17 models ...even in the "top of the line" Signature trim. They put lots of nice, high end touches in the car, i get it, but they also cut a number of useful small features. The infotainment is a good example.

    As far as Lexus not offering AA/ACP yet, yes, it is true. However, from experience, i know that what they do offer is a system that is far superior to Mazda's in every single department (speaker/sound quality, screen quality/size, phone integration, speed of operation, inputs, true surround, 360 cameras, etc, etc). Lets not even compare the two. Put a Lexus like Mark Levinson system in my CX-9, i would never mention the lack of AA/ACP again.

    I am not saying that every single car must have AA/ACP, but one would expect that every expensive/luxury car will offer it OR if not, at least compensate for it with a great quality, feature rich infotainment system. My $45k Signature offers neither and i find it disappointing.
    I am not an audiophile so i can live with what i got IF the rest of the car performs as promised. Clearly, i bought the CX-9, so i was OK with it. Many other won't be.
    It's just hard to ignore the fact that Mazda dropped the ball on this and decided that they can play with the big boys, yet offer outdated, basic infotainment technology.

    Time and sales numbers will show how this will pay off for them.

  4. #19
    Registered Member JPL's Avatar

    2018 CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    659
    Infotainment should have nothing to do with the buying decision process. If it does, you don't like cars. You are one who can't wait until self driving cars come along in which you can just stare at your phone the whole time. Unless it came down to an exact 50/50 decision between 2 cars and the only tie breaker in one's view was infotainment.

    While one wonders why Mazda doesn't have it yet, I wonder why CX-9 competitors look and feel $10K cheaper. No AC/AA doesn't even enter my mind when I continue to be amazed at how brilliant the vehicle is. Have you sat in an Explorer, for example. Complete pile of garbage in comparison. I feel bad for all the sheep that buy it.

  5. #20
    Registered Member colnago1331's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    Infotainment should have nothing to do with the buying decision process. If it does, you don't like cars.
    I don't disagree with you, but you have to remember that most people don't "like" cars, which is more accurately stated as most people aren't gear heads or car enthusiasts. For the majority of the driving public, a car is little more than an appliance . . . a way for a person to get from A to B in a way that fits that person's needs. For those people, infotainment likely does have something to do with the buying process.

    Incidentally, I tend to forget this, which is why my co-workers look at me funny when I spout of stats about cars they're looking at when they're thinking about getting a new car. To them, nobody should have that kind of information off the top of their head; for me (and, I'm guessing, for many of you), it's perfectly normal to know the engine size, HP, features, etc. of a variety of different vehicles.

    So all of this said - I think Mazda is a car enthusiast's brand, which is why Mazda doesn't necessarily see AA/ACP as a priority. If I had to guess, Mazda believes - and likely rightfully so - that the majority of its buyers care more about the experience of driving than the utility of driving. In other words, Mazda knows that its buyers will buy a Mazda over a Honda, Nissan, or Toyota because the Mazda will be a more enjoyable driving experience, not because it has AA/ACP.
    Last edited by colnago1331; 03-30-2018 at 09:29 PM.
    CURRENT MAZDA:
    2017 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD 6AT - Crystal Blue Mica *20" OEM Mazda wheels or 19" ASA GT13 wheels *255/50R20 Falken Ziex CT50 tires or 255/55R19 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 tires * WeatherTech FloorLiner Mats * Draw-Tite 2" Hitch Receiver* Thule 460 Podium Feet w/ 50" Crossbars* Thule Force L Cargo Box

    ALSO IN THE DRIVEWAY:

    1986 Audi Coupe GT 5MT (the Winter Beater) | 2001 Saab 9-3 SE Convertible 5MT (the Summer Beater) | 2015 Acura MDX Advance (the Mrs.' Car)

    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN MAZDAS:

    2015 Mazda CX-9 Touring AWD 6AT | 2014 Mazda6 i Touring 6MT | 2010 Mazda3 S 6MT | 2007 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT | 2008 Mazda Miata Touring PRHT 6MT | 2006 Mazda Miata Sport 5MT | 2003 Mazda MPV ES 5AT | 2001 Mazda Protege5 5MT | 1999 Mazda Miata 5MT

  6. #21
    Grand Poobah tex2670's Avatar

    2012 CX-9 GT AWD, Copper Red/Sand

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    Infotainment should have nothing to do with the buying decision process. If it does, you don't like cars. You are one who can't wait until self driving cars come along in which you can just stare at your phone the whole time. Unless it came down to an exact 50/50 decision between 2 cars and the only tie breaker in one's view was infotainment.

    While one wonders why Mazda doesn't have it yet, I wonder why CX-9 competitors look and feel $10K cheaper. No AC/AA doesn't even enter my mind when I continue to be amazed at how brilliant the vehicle is. Have you sat in an Explorer, for example. Complete pile of garbage in comparison. I feel bad for all the sheep that buy it.
    Sorry--but this is just not the case.

    If you are a purist, buy a stripped down Miata, and call it a day. If you are driving a CX-9 because you "like cars", something's wrong. The CX-9 is a family hauler, that people spend a lot of time in, going all over town, most of the times, not for "fun" reasons. If you think that a vast majority of people buying a family vehicle don't base their decision on features and factors that have very little to do with how well a cross-over drives, you are just burying your head in the sand.

  7. #22
    Registered Member colnago1331's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
    If you are driving a CX-9 because you "like cars", something's wrong.
    Yeah - this is completely wrong. I picked the CX-9 because I like cars. I need a 3-row, 7-seat CUV. The CX-9 is easily the most fun of any of those under $40,000. The only one that comes close and is arguably near this price point is the MDX, and comparably equipped it's going to be over $10,000 more. After that, you have to step up to an X5 or maybe a Q7, both of which are far more expensive than the CX-9 when comparably equiped.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  8. #23
    Registered Member

    17 Mazda 6 GT

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    416
    Quote Originally Posted by colnago1331 View Post
    I don't disagree with you, but you have to remember that most people don't "like" cars, which is more accurately stated as most people aren't gear heads or car enthusiasts. For the majority of the driving public, a car is little more than an appliance . . . a way for a person to get from A to B in a way that fits that person's needs. For those people, infotainment likely does have something to do with the buying process.

    Incidentally, I tend to forget this.
    Reading these posts, and I have to laugh a bit.
    First of all, like you say, for most people, a car is an appliance.
    It's folks like us that sign up on forums. We have the interest and thirst for knowledge that most people do not have.
    I'm willing to guess that 98% of car owners do not belong to, or frequent, car forums or car sites. They don't care.
    For example, there is not one person in my family, or anyone else that I know, that is registered on a car forum. I've asked.
    You guys are also assuming that everybody is a tech geek and can't wait for this AA/ACP stuff. Wrong again.
    Most people have cell phones, that's a given. And most people only know how to take pics and text, and maybe make a call.
    My wife has had 3 Iphones, and she still couldn't tell you what Bluetooth is.
    We've had our new Mazda for 5 months now, and she has never tried to pair her phone to the info system. Not a clue.
    Ask her if she wants Apple Car Play. Ha.
    What I'm saying is that there is probably only a small minority of interested and knowledgeable people that want this feature in their new car.
    We hear about it all the time, but ask any stranger what ACP actually does for you in a car so equipped, and they'll give you a blank stare.
    This is really a whole lot of talk and angst about nothing.
    It's only important for a small minority, sorry to say.
    When I bought my 6, I didn't even consider AA/ACP as part of the buying decision. I don't think I'm alone.
    Will it be nice when Mazda finally provides it? Sure, for some.
    I truly feel this is more of a marketing thing than anything else.
    It's been talked about so much, that people have been convinced they need it, when in fact they probably don't have a clue as to what it actually is or does.
    It's a perceived need that's been artificially created, and we have been conditioned to believe that if we don't have it, the sky will fall.
    Sorry if this upsets some of you, but that's my take on this whole thing.
    Enjoy your Mazda.

  9. #24
    Registered Member

    2016 Mazda CX-9 GT

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    265

    stop making excuses for Mazda

    Guys, please stop making excuses for Mazda..."There were more important things to get right like engine and transmission reliability?" What? You know that different teams work on different parts of the car? This is not a valid excuse for the shitty infotainment system Mazda has put out. They simply don't care about it. They didn't even produced it. The Totoya Yaris iA uses the same system, except their UI has blue accents instead of red.
    The CX-9's infotainment system is the single point of failure of this car. It is the first thing I mention to people when they ask about the car. I don't even recommend it. I can't. The car drives like a dream, but the experience while driving it sucks! In 2018, stuck in traffic, I need the radio, I need traffic updates, I need a reliable system. The CX-9 infotainment provides:
    1) Reboots. I had to replace my CMU already due to blank screens every single day. Now, it reboots every now and then. Not reliable.
    2) No real-time traffic updates. You get HD radio traffic updates which have a delay of 15 mins and not to mention half of the time, the map does not load! WTF?
    3) Historical traffic...what a f* joke... Drive thru an accident once, the system will mark that route as congested for an eternity
    4) Voice dialing? Don't try to use it as soon as you start the car, you'll get some BS about "analyzing pronunciation"
    5) Persistent annoying driving warning upon bootup. The system is completely unresponsive until that warning comes up and you dismiss it.
    6) Software plagued with bugs. Speed limit warning? Settings don't change
    7) Convoluted menus.
    8) Can't do certain features while driving
    9) Outdated maps...even with the latest update. Do you have any ideas how many times it has made me get off the highway just to get me back on 1 exit later?

    I could go on, but you get the point....this is one if not the worse infotainment system I have seen on a car. Why is ACP or AA important? Because they make all the difference! I rent a lot of cars for work travel, having ACP is amazing. Texting, Maps, real traffic, podcast. It's like having a different infotainment system. AA is even more versatile. Seriously Mazda, who the F* used Aha radio...wtf is that? I have never hear of it before.

    The balls of some of you defending Mazda talking about how much value you get for the money and how ACP or AA are not important...come on guys. Don't be fan boys. Yea...driving matters, that's what cars are for, but when you drive, you want nice suspension, cold AC, comfy leather seats, nice steering wheels, LED headlines, and freaking ACP or AA! It's part of the package. I'm honestly pissed that this hasn't been available sooner and if my 2016 doesn't qualify to get it I'm trading my Mazda. I will buy something else. Companies need to embrace technology and stop trying to cut corners and pretend they're a "luxury" brand. You can buy an used CPO Audi or BMW, sure a 2-3 older, but it will still have more tech and drive as well or better than a new Mazda

  10. #25
    Registered Member

    2017 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    Infotainment should have nothing to do with the buying decision process. If it does, you don't like cars. ....
    .
    Respectfully, i can't agree with this statements.
    I actually LOVE cars. I know cars, i work on cars, i read about cars all the time, and i have been fortunate to own and drive many different cars in different classes/sizes, in many different situations. Btw, i still haven't found the perfect car, because my daily needs keep changing. I blame it on my kids.

    However, the more i drive different cars, the more I realize that i want the complete package. I am less and less interested in compromising. The power, handling, and interior quality & usability, are still my top priorities but having a nice infotainment system is pretty much getting on that list soon. Why? Because MANY other cars now offer it, for the same money or less. We live in 2018...not in 1998. Of course infotainment will be a part of the decision making process. IT IS big part of the car. If the majority of the people did not care about it, 90% of the cars out there will be stripped down versions with only AC, basic CD/mp3 player and maybe power windows, right?
    Many car buyers may not be car enthusiasts like us and they may not know what a car forum is, but they still want the latest toys in their new cars. Call it marketing, call it peer pressure, call it new way of thinking, or stupidity....whatever....it is happening! Same logic applies to people who always buy the latest iPhone or Android phone. 90% of them don't need or even know the latest phone features, but they still spend the $$$ on the latest model.

    Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    ....
    ....While one wonders why Mazda doesn't have it yet, I wonder why CX-9 competitors look and feel $10K cheaper. .....
    Does this apply to all competitors? Really? If you care only about "looks" in a car, then maybe. But i thought we're all "Car guys" here, not show offs?
    If you care about the whole package, including actual engine output, dynamics, reliability, AWD system, cargo room, stopping power, tow capacity, infotainment, etc etc ... you will see that the CX-9 cut corners to give you that "expensive" look.

    I like my CX-9, don't get me wrong. It looks great and it has very upscale feel, especially inside. It is quiet, refined, well put together, and it is not boring to drive. For my current needs, it checks all boxes perfectly, except the so-so AWD capability. I paid 10k under MSRP too, so i will keep it and like it. I would never pay full price for it!

    Under the hood is where it can be better. Engine is smooth and torque-y for it's size but there is nothing fun/sporty about it. It is still a 4-cyl in a 4500lbs SUV. Long term Reliability is also a big question. To make it worse, the stock engine + exhaust setup make the CX-9 sound like a Corolla under acceleration. I personally hate how the engine sounds under acceleration.
    The 6-speed AT is decent but old school (6-sp?) and it does not shift extra fast or any smoother than competitors. I find it slow. My last car had a nice 7-speed DSG and i really really really wish Mazda offered something similar.
    AWD system is very basic/cheap and inadequate in real snow/ice or any off-road conditions. With good snow tires, i feel the FWD CX-9 will do as well as the AWD version.
    Brakes stop OK, but given their small size, they will be fried under aggressive driving or if towing anything heavier. I think the CX-9 has one of the smaller rotors & calipers in this class of SUVs.
    Infotainment - we already talked about it. Fairly basic and not super reliable. Mazda went the cheaper route there, for sure.
    Cargo room - another weak point vs same class SUVs, especially with 3rd row seats up.
    Large sun roof/glass roof - i personally don't care for it, but many buyers do because it is "cool" and many other SUV options in this class offer it.

    So, given the "negatives" i listed above, i hope you now understand why Mazda could afford to make the CX-9 "look $10k more expensive" than the competitors. Corners were cut in other areas. You simply can't get a perfect SUV that checks all the boxes in this price range.

  11. #26
    Registered Member

    17 Mazda 6 GT

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    416
    Quote Originally Posted by danmm7 View Post

    Many car buyers may not be car enthusiasts like us and they may not know what a car forum is, but they still want the latest toys in their new cars. Call it marketing, call it peer pressure, call it new way of thinking, or stupidity....whatever....it is happening! Same logic applies to people who always buy the latest iPhone or Android phone. 90% of them don't need or even know the latest phone features, but they still spend the $$$ on the latest model.
    Sadly, that says it all right there.

    People line up to buy the latest phone or other tech, not because they need it, but because they've been conditioned to believe that somehow they'll have stature in society if they have the newest stuff.
    It's a narcissistic behavior that's been reinforced by social media, TV and every other form of communication.
    It's about being seen with the latest gadgets. "Look at me. See what I've got".
    It's marketing, and companies like Apple have led and perfected the way.
    Sadly, the satisfaction is short lived, and soon after buying the latest whatever, those same people realize that the new gadget is already yesterday's news, and they have to start all over again.
    It's a never ending quest. People are sheep.

  12. #27
    Grand Poobah tex2670's Avatar

    2012 CX-9 GT AWD, Copper Red/Sand

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by colnago1331 View Post
    Yeah - this is completely wrong. I picked the CX-9 because I like cars. I need a 3-row, 7-seat CUV. The CX-9 is easily the most fun of any of those under $40,000. The only one that comes close and is arguably near this price point is the MDX, and comparably equipped it's going to be over $10,000 more. After that, you have to step up to an X5 or maybe a Q7, both of which are far more expensive than the CX-9 when comparably equiped.
    So what you are saying is you settled for a CX-9 because you like cars, and reality doesn't allow you to have your sports car and your SUV. Which puts you in an incredibly small minority of people as to what they prioritize when shopping for an SUV. And if Mazda only focuses on those people, and doesn't offer competitive equipment that the vast majority of shoppers want, then they will not be around for long.

    Does Mazda offer a "sports" version of the CX-9, with less sound deadening and features to reduce weight? Or a more powerful engine choice? No--of course not. Because it's a cross over, marketed as a family vehicle.

  13. #28
    Registered Member

    2010 CX-9 GT

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzman12 View Post
    Sadly, that says it all right there.

    People line up to buy the latest phone or other tech, not because they need it, but because they've been conditioned to believe that somehow they'll have stature in society if they have the newest stuff.
    It's a narcissistic behavior that's been reinforced by social media, TV and every other form of communication.
    It's about being seen with the latest gadgets. "Look at me. See what I've got".
    It's marketing, and companies like Apple have led and perfected the way.
    Sadly, the satisfaction is short lived, and soon after buying the latest whatever, those same people realize that the new gadget is already yesterday's news, and they have to start all over again.
    It's a never ending quest. People are sheep.
    You just described why some people bought a CX-9 over another CUV (looks). Or why some bought the signature version over the sport. Or were you talking about phones? I'm confused...

    Anyway, the biggest reasons I want AA/ACP:

    1. Common interface between cars.
    2. Free updates. I keep cars for a long time. There is no way I am paying any money for map updates (among other things) when it happens on my phone automatically.

    I don't care about trendy gadgets, don't have an iPhone or a top end Android. I just want the stuff to work. None of my current cars has AA/ACP. Is that going to inspire me to trade them in? Hell no. But, the next daily driver car I buy will have it. Period.

    The amount of slack people give Mazda over this is really amazing. EVERY review I've seen of the CX-9 talks about the in car electronics, and it is never flattering. Granted, other manufacturer's have gone through the same thing (Honda, Ford, Cadillac, etc. all have had some amazingly bad systems, and some still do), but this system really is the Achilles heel of the CX-9. Everything else is quite good, which makes the deficiencies of the electronics all the more glaring.

  14. #29
    Registered Member colnago1331's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
    So what you are saying is you settled for a CX-9 because you like cars, and reality doesn't allow you to have your sports car and your SUV.
    Ummmm, no. I actually could have a sports car and my CX-9, but I choose not to. I've done the two car thing (well, three car thing if you count my wife's vehicle), and ultimately I came down against it. I didn't like looking at a car that was not being used for ____ months out of the year. Even if it's paid for it's still costing me money while sitting in my garage or in the driveway, because it's holding money that I could be putting elsewhere to better use.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  15. #30
    Registered Member JPL's Avatar

    2018 CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
    Sorry--but this is just not the case.

    If you are a purist, buy a stripped down Miata, and call it a day. If you are driving a CX-9 because you "like cars", something's wrong. The CX-9 is a family hauler, that people spend a lot of time in, going all over town, most of the times, not for "fun" reasons. If you think that a vast majority of people buying a family vehicle don't base their decision on features and factors that have very little to do with how well a cross-over drives, you are just burying your head in the sand.
    Mazda exists to fill the niche that the volume pushers miss. Most of us buy a particular Mazda because it's not like all the other options out there that try to fill the bells and whistles checklist. I've said before it would be the easier way to go for Mazda to copy Hyundai and Kia's formula to sell to a broader buyer.

    Why do you think that fathers would want to own a sports car on the side just to get some spirited driving out of his system each Sunday? In my situation, I bring my kids to school each morning before heading to work. I'm also a car enthusiast. Thanks to Mazda, there was one clear choice for me. Everything in one package without desiring a Miata to sit 95% of the time. I actually have no desire to own sports cars but love driving, go figure.

    It's not all that complicated. Why does Porsche, Jaguar, and now even Lamborghini build SUV's? Is it to compete with the most sensible family hauler out there or rather stir your emotions while still being practical for daily living?

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Apple Carplay and Android Auto
    By MPCX in forum CX-9 Infotainment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-28-2018, 10:57 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-01-2018, 04:41 PM
  3. CarPlay and Android Auto coming soon to all Mazda
    By luckydwg in forum CX-9 Infotainment
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-23-2017, 05:30 PM
  4. Replies: 790
    Last Post: 09-08-2017, 12:45 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2016, 06:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •