Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

So wait....

AA used to be available on '17 - '18 models until Mazda disabled it. Now a year or whatever later it is back.

Except now they want to charge a couple hundred bucks?!?

Forget that. How to lose a customer 101.

So wait....

AA used to be available on '17 - '18 models until Mazda disabled it. Now a year or whatever later it is back.

Except now they want to charge a couple hundred bucks?!?

Forget that. How to lose a customer 101.

I believe AA was available via a hack (AIO Tweaks or something like that). You would put the hacked firmware onto a USB drive, then plug the drive into the arm rest port and flash the new firmware, and you'd be able to get AA. I don't know the details, but I believe that on the 17/18 model years, you were no longer able to update firmware via the USB port in the arm rest. That's why there were a few threads that popped up about accessing the CMU, these were people who were trying to figure out how to upgrade the firmware on their own so that they could install AIO Tweaks.

So CX-9s that had AA before it was officially released by Mazda, were all unoffical, "hacked" versions of firmware that they had installed themselves.

Anyone already has the Hub/Cable install? Can you share some photos if you have them? Or tips and tricks on what to look for.

Has anyone successfully sourced the hardware kit yet? 2 places that knew what Im talking about told me that lots are for recall for now, not available for purchase yet.
Has anyone installed v70 yet? Was it successful?
Has anyone gotten AACP to work on cx-9?

I was able to buy the cables and the Aux hub online today, it cost me $150.00 + shipping. Downloaded V70 last week, so now I'm tapping my fingers in anticipation.
...and the dealer just called and said "sorry, I can't get the part's yet".(headshake

I believe AA was available via a hack (AIO Tweaks or something like that). You would put the hacked firmware onto a USB drive, then plug the drive into the arm rest port and flash the new firmware, and you'd be able to get AA. I don't know the details, but I believe that on the 17/18 model years, you were no longer able to update firmware via the USB port in the arm rest. That's why there were a few threads that popped up about accessing the CMU, these were people who were trying to figure out how to upgrade the firmware on their own so that they could install AIO Tweaks.

So CX-9s that had AA before it was officially released by Mazda, were all unoffical, "hacked" versions of firmware that they had installed themselves.

Yes, that's exactly it.

The Mazda was capable, as is, of running AA via a very simple AIO tweak. Took virtually no time.

Then Mazda disabled it via firmware. I can accept them doing that for liability reasons. Fine.

Now, something like 18 months later, they are telling me I need to spend another $200 to turn something on that works just fine without new parts.

Anyone interested in buying a lightly used '18 GT?

to confirm-

For those International Buyers who want a source of supply Paul at Mazmart.com (USA) will have stocks by next Thursday Sept 6th in store.
He is selling for $152 USD plus Shipping.
He only sells the US NA N kit, but I am confident that the USB Cable will be OK for ADR 4A N or EU N regions.

Hello- so does that mean that if I reside in the US, I can purchase this kit and go through your software instructions, then I Can install carplay on my 2018 cx9? thanks..

Yes, that's exactly it.

The Mazda was capable, as is, of running AA via a very simple AIO tweak. Took virtually no time.

Then Mazda disabled it via firmware. I can accept them doing that for liability reasons. Fine.

Now, something like 18 months later, they are telling me I need to spend another $200 to turn something on that works just fine without new parts.

Anyone interested in buying a lightly used '18 GT?

You're forgetting one thing - Apple Car Play. ACP requires some proprietary licensing components to run. That, paired with the upgraded USB hub to allow you to charge while using AA/ACP is where the extra cost comes from (not sure if labour would be included in that figure). In addition to that, if you perform this dealer-installed upgrade, you get full support from the dealer for any ACP/AA related issues. If you DIY, you're on your own.

Also, you can still do the AIO tweak, as others have figured out how to access the CMU serial port to flash the firmware. Nothing's stopping you from going that route, as long as you're okay with troubleshooting any issues that may arise from the install.

There seems to be lots of confusion but my dealer told my sister and I (she has a 2018 cx 5 , i have a 2018 cx 9) that all cars 2016 and up if it is at least a touring model will get the Apple Car Play / Android Auto upgrade FOR FREE

There seems to be lots of confusion but my dealer told my sister and I (she has a 2018 cx 5 , i have a 2018 cx 9) that all cars 2016 and up if it is at least a touring model will get the Apple Car Play / Android Auto upgrade FOR FREE

That's awesome if your dealer will stand behind that statement. I spoke with Mazda Canada and they told me I'd have to take it up with my local dealership, as the dealership would have to eat the cost if they provided the upgrade to me for free. I'd book an appt ASAP before they change their minds and start charging for it.

All cars 2016+ will have the option to upgrade, for sure, but whether it is free or not is up to the dealership - I would bet that most will not offer the upgrade for free.

Yup it was a selling point my sister and I made them put in writing to make sure the upgrade is free for her CX5 and my CX9, they are a great dealer. As long as we do the maintenance there too we get free tires for life :D

Yup it was a selling point my sister and I made them put in writing to make sure the upgrade is free for her CX5 and my CX9, they are a great dealer. As long as we do the maintenance there too we get free tires for life :D
Did you mean excessive maintenance? Lol that's usually how they can afford replacing $500 set of tires at no charge. At the end of the day, service dept is just the other side of sales. But anyways, good to hear they would put in writing to do the upgrade free of charge.

Did you mean excessive maintenance? Lol that's usually how they can afford replacing $500 set of tires at no charge. At the end of the day, service dept is just the other side of sales. But anyways, good to hear they would put in writing to do the upgrade free of charge.

They're actually not that bad, only charge about double of what it would cost :D

A greatest car dealer will make the most profit.

Back