Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

Infotainment should have nothing to do with the buying decision process. If it does, you don't like cars. You are one who can't wait until self driving cars come along in which you can just stare at your phone the whole time. Unless it came down to an exact 50/50 decision between 2 cars and the only tie breaker in one's view was infotainment.

While one wonders why Mazda doesn't have it yet, I wonder why CX-9 competitors look and feel $10K cheaper. No AC/AA doesn't even enter my mind when I continue to be amazed at how brilliant the vehicle is. Have you sat in an Explorer, for example. Complete pile of garbage in comparison. I feel bad for all the sheep that buy it.

Sorry--but this is just not the case.

If you are a purist, buy a stripped down Miata, and call it a day. If you are driving a CX-9 because you "like cars", something's wrong. The CX-9 is a family hauler, that people spend a lot of time in, going all over town, most of the times, not for "fun" reasons. If you think that a vast majority of people buying a family vehicle don't base their decision on features and factors that have very little to do with how well a cross-over drives, you are just burying your head in the sand.

If you are driving a CX-9 because you "like cars", something's wrong.
Yeah - this is completely wrong. I picked the CX-9 because I like cars. I need a 3-row, 7-seat CUV. The CX-9 is easily the most fun of any of those under $40,000. The only one that comes close and is arguably near this price point is the MDX, and comparably equipped it's going to be over $10,000 more. After that, you have to step up to an X5 or maybe a Q7, both of which are far more expensive than the CX-9 when comparably equiped.

I don't disagree with you, but you have to remember that most people don't "like" cars, which is more accurately stated as most people aren't gear heads or car enthusiasts. For the majority of the driving public, a car is little more than an appliance . . . a way for a person to get from A to B in a way that fits that person's needs. For those people, infotainment likely does have something to do with the buying process.

Incidentally, I tend to forget this.
Reading these posts, and I have to laugh a bit.
First of all, like you say, for most people, a car is an appliance.
It's folks like us that sign up on forums. We have the interest and thirst for knowledge that most people do not have.
I'm willing to guess that 98% of car owners do not belong to, or frequent, car forums or car sites. They don't care.
For example, there is not one person in my family, or anyone else that I know, that is registered on a car forum. I've asked.
You guys are also assuming that everybody is a tech geek and can't wait for this AA/ACP stuff. Wrong again.
Most people have cell phones, that's a given. And most people only know how to take pics and text, and maybe make a call.
My wife has had 3 Iphones, and she still couldn't tell you what Bluetooth is.
We've had our new Mazda for 5 months now, and she has never tried to pair her phone to the info system. Not a clue.
Ask her if she wants Apple Car Play. Ha.
What I'm saying is that there is probably only a small minority of interested and knowledgeable people that want this feature in their new car.
We hear about it all the time, but ask any stranger what ACP actually does for you in a car so equipped, and they'll give you a blank stare.
This is really a whole lot of talk and angst about nothing.
It's only important for a small minority, sorry to say.
When I bought my 6, I didn't even consider AA/ACP as part of the buying decision. I don't think I'm alone.
Will it be nice when Mazda finally provides it? Sure, for some.
I truly feel this is more of a marketing thing than anything else.
It's been talked about so much, that people have been convinced they need it, when in fact they probably don't have a clue as to what it actually is or does.
It's a perceived need that's been artificially created, and we have been conditioned to believe that if we don't have it, the sky will fall.
Sorry if this upsets some of you, but that's my take on this whole thing.
Enjoy your Mazda.

stop making excuses for Mazda

Guys, please stop making excuses for Mazda..."There were more important things to get right like engine and transmission reliability?" What? You know that different teams work on different parts of the car? This is not a valid excuse for the bad infotainment system Mazda has put out. They simply don't care about it. They didn't even produced it. The Totoya Yaris iA uses the same system, except their UI has blue accents instead of red.
The CX-9's infotainment system is the single point of failure of this car. It is the first thing I mention to people when they ask about the car. I don't even recommend it. I can't. The car drives like a dream, but the experience while driving it sucks! In 2018, stuck in traffic, I need the radio, I need traffic updates, I need a reliable system. The CX-9 infotainment provides:
1) Reboots. I had to replace my CMU already due to blank screens every single day. Now, it reboots every now and then. Not reliable.
2) No real-time traffic updates. You get HD radio traffic updates which have a delay of 15 mins and not to mention half of the time, the map does not load! WTF?
3) Historical traffic...what a f* joke... Drive thru an accident once, the system will mark that route as congested for an eternity
4) Voice dialing? Don't try to use it as soon as you start the car, you'll get some BS about "analyzing pronunciation"
5) Persistent annoying driving warning upon bootup. The system is completely unresponsive until that warning comes up and you dismiss it.
6) Software plagued with bugs. Speed limit warning? Settings don't change
7) Convoluted menus.
8) Can't do certain features while driving
9) Outdated maps...even with the latest update. Do you have any ideas how many times it has made me get off the highway just to get me back on 1 exit later?

I could go on, but you get the point....this is one if not the worse infotainment system I have seen on a car. Why is ACP or AA important? Because they make all the difference! I rent a lot of cars for work travel, having ACP is amazing. Texting, Maps, real traffic, podcast. It's like having a different infotainment system. AA is even more versatile. Seriously Mazda, who the F* used Aha radio...wtf is that? I have never hear of it before.

The balls of some of you defending Mazda talking about how much value you get for the money and how ACP or AA are not important...come on guys. Don't be fan boys. Yea...driving matters, that's what cars are for, but when you drive, you want nice suspension, cold AC, comfy leather seats, nice steering wheels, LED headlines, and freaking ACP or AA! It's part of the package. I'm honestly pissed that this hasn't been available sooner and if my 2016 doesn't qualify to get it I'm trading my Mazda. I will buy something else. Companies need to embrace technology and stop trying to cut corners and pretend they're a "luxury" brand. You can buy an used CPO Audi or BMW, sure a 2-3 older, but it will still have more tech and drive as well or better than a new Mazda

Infotainment should have nothing to do with the buying decision process. If it does, you don't like cars. ....

Respectfully, i can't agree with this statements.
I actually LOVE cars. I know cars, i work on cars, i read about cars all the time, and i have been fortunate to own and drive many different cars in different classes/sizes, in many different situations. Btw, i still haven't found the perfect car, because my daily needs keep changing. I blame it on my kids. :)

However, the more i drive different cars, the more I realize that i want the complete package. I am less and less interested in compromising. The power, handling, and interior quality & usability, are still my top priorities but having a nice infotainment system is pretty much getting on that list soon. Why? Because MANY other cars now offer it, for the same money or less. We live in 2018...not in 1998. Of course infotainment will be a part of the decision making process. IT IS big part of the car. If the majority of the people did not care about it, 90% of the cars out there will be stripped down versions with only AC, basic CD/mp3 player and maybe power windows, right?
Many car buyers may not be car enthusiasts like us and they may not know what a car forum is, but they still want the latest toys in their new cars. Call it marketing, call it peer pressure, call it new way of thinking, or stupidity....whatever....it is happening! Same logic applies to people who always buy the latest iPhone or Android phone. 90% of them don't need or even know the latest phone features, but they still spend the $$$ on the latest model.

....While one wonders why Mazda doesn't have it yet, I wonder why CX-9 competitors look and feel $10K cheaper. .....

Does this apply to all competitors? Really? If you care only about "looks" in a car, then maybe. But i thought we're all "Car guys" here, not show offs? ;)
If you care about the whole package, including actual engine output, dynamics, reliability, AWD system, cargo room, stopping power, tow capacity, infotainment, etc etc ... you will see that the CX-9 cut corners to give you that "expensive" look.

I like my CX-9, don't get me wrong. It looks great and it has very upscale feel, especially inside. It is quiet, refined, well put together, and it is not boring to drive. For my current needs, it checks all boxes perfectly, except the so-so AWD capability. I paid 10k under MSRP too, so i will keep it and like it. I would never pay full price for it!

Under the hood is where it can be better. Engine is smooth and torque-y for it's size but there is nothing fun/sporty about it. It is still a 4-cyl in a 4500lbs SUV. Long term Reliability is also a big question. To make it worse, the stock engine + exhaust setup make the CX-9 sound like a Corolla under acceleration. :( I personally hate how the engine sounds under acceleration.
The 6-speed AT is decent but old school (6-sp?) and it does not shift extra fast or any smoother than competitors. I find it slow. My last car had a nice 7-speed DSG and i really really really wish Mazda offered something similar.
AWD system is very basic/cheap and inadequate in real snow/ice or any off-road conditions. With good snow tires, i feel the FWD CX-9 will do as well as the AWD version.
Brakes stop OK, but given their small size, they will be fried under aggressive driving or if towing anything heavier. I think the CX-9 has one of the smaller rotors & calipers in this class of SUVs.
Infotainment - we already talked about it. Fairly basic and not super reliable. Mazda went the cheaper route there, for sure.
Cargo room - another weak point vs same class SUVs, especially with 3rd row seats up.
Large sun roof/glass roof - i personally don't care for it, but many buyers do because it is "cool" and many other SUV options in this class offer it.

So, given the "negatives" i listed above, i hope you now understand why Mazda could afford to make the CX-9 "look $10k more expensive" than the competitors. Corners were cut in other areas. You simply can't get a perfect SUV that checks all the boxes in this price range.

Many car buyers may not be car enthusiasts like us and they may not know what a car forum is, but they still want the latest toys in their new cars. Call it marketing, call it peer pressure, call it new way of thinking, or stupidity....whatever....it is happening! Same logic applies to people who always buy the latest iPhone or Android phone. 90% of them don't need or even know the latest phone features, but they still spend the $$$ on the latest model.
Sadly, that says it all right there.

People line up to buy the latest phone or other tech, not because they need it, but because they've been conditioned to believe that somehow they'll have stature in society if they have the newest stuff.
It's a narcissistic behavior that's been reinforced by social media, TV and every other form of communication.
It's about being seen with the latest gadgets. "Look at me. See what I've got".
It's marketing, and companies like Apple have led and perfected the way.
Sadly, the satisfaction is short lived, and soon after buying the latest whatever, those same people realize that the new gadget is already yesterday's news, and they have to start all over again.
It's a never ending quest. People are sheep.

Yeah - this is completely wrong. I picked the CX-9 because I like cars. I need a 3-row, 7-seat CUV. The CX-9 is easily the most fun of any of those under $40,000. The only one that comes close and is arguably near this price point is the MDX, and comparably equipped it's going to be over $10,000 more. After that, you have to step up to an X5 or maybe a Q7, both of which are far more expensive than the CX-9 when comparably equiped.

So what you are saying is you settled for a CX-9 because you like cars, and reality doesn't allow you to have your sports car and your SUV. Which puts you in an incredibly small minority of people as to what they prioritize when shopping for an SUV. And if Mazda only focuses on those people, and doesn't offer competitive equipment that the vast majority of shoppers want, then they will not be around for long.

Does Mazda offer a "sports" version of the CX-9, with less sound deadening and features to reduce weight? Or a more powerful engine choice? No--of course not. Because it's a cross over, marketed as a family vehicle.

Sadly, that says it all right there.

People line up to buy the latest phone or other tech, not because they need it, but because they've been conditioned to believe that somehow they'll have stature in society if they have the newest stuff.
It's a narcissistic behavior that's been reinforced by social media, TV and every other form of communication.
It's about being seen with the latest gadgets. "Look at me. See what I've got".
It's marketing, and companies like Apple have led and perfected the way.
Sadly, the satisfaction is short lived, and soon after buying the latest whatever, those same people realize that the new gadget is already yesterday's news, and they have to start all over again.
It's a never ending quest. People are sheep.

You just described why some people bought a CX-9 over another CUV (looks). Or why some bought the signature version over the sport. Or were you talking about phones? I'm confused...

Anyway, the biggest reasons I want AA/ACP:

1. Common interface between cars.
2. Free updates. I keep cars for a long time. There is no way I am paying any money for map updates (among other things) when it happens on my phone automatically.

I don't care about trendy gadgets, don't have an iPhone or a top end Android. I just want the stuff to work. None of my current cars has AA/ACP. Is that going to inspire me to trade them in? Hell no. But, the next daily driver car I buy will have it. Period.

The amount of slack people give Mazda over this is really amazing. EVERY review I've seen of the CX-9 talks about the in car electronics, and it is never flattering. Granted, other manufacturer's have gone through the same thing (Honda, Ford, Cadillac, etc. all have had some amazingly bad systems, and some still do), but this system really is the Achilles heel of the CX-9. Everything else is quite good, which makes the deficiencies of the electronics all the more glaring.

So what you are saying is you settled for a CX-9 because you like cars, and reality doesn't allow you to have your sports car and your SUV.
Ummmm, no. I actually could have a sports car and my CX-9, but I choose not to. I've done the two car thing (well, three car thing if you count my wife's vehicle), and ultimately I came down against it. I didn't like looking at a car that was not being used for ____ months out of the year. Even if it's paid for it's still costing me money while sitting in my garage or in the driveway, because it's holding money that I could be putting elsewhere to better use.

Sorry--but this is just not the case.

If you are a purist, buy a stripped down Miata, and call it a day. If you are driving a CX-9 because you "like cars", something's wrong. The CX-9 is a family hauler, that people spend a lot of time in, going all over town, most of the times, not for "fun" reasons. If you think that a vast majority of people buying a family vehicle don't base their decision on features and factors that have very little to do with how well a cross-over drives, you are just burying your head in the sand.

Mazda exists to fill the niche that the volume pushers miss. Most of us buy a particular Mazda because it's not like all the other options out there that try to fill the bells and whistles checklist. I've said before it would be the easier way to go for Mazda to copy Hyundai and Kia's formula to sell to a broader buyer.

Why do you think that fathers would want to own a sports car on the side just to get some spirited driving out of his system each Sunday? In my situation, I bring my kids to school each morning before heading to work. I'm also a car enthusiast. Thanks to Mazda, there was one clear choice for me. Everything in one package without desiring a Miata to sit 95% of the time. I actually have no desire to own sports cars but love driving, go figure.

It's not all that complicated. Why does Porsche, Jaguar, and now even Lamborghini build SUV's? Is it to compete with the most sensible family hauler out there or rather stir your emotions while still being practical for daily living?

Guys, please stop making excuses for Mazda..."There were more important things to get right like engine and transmission reliability?" What? You know that different teams work on different parts of the car? This is not a valid excuse for the bad infotainment system Mazda has put out. They simply don't care about it. They didn't even produced it. The Totoya Yaris iA uses the same system, except their UI has blue accents instead of red.
The CX-9's infotainment system is the single point of failure of this car. It is the first thing I mention to people when they ask about the car. I don't even recommend it. I can't. The car drives like a dream, but the experience while driving it sucks! In 2018, stuck in traffic, I need the radio, I need traffic updates, I need a reliable system. The CX-9 infotainment provides:
1) Reboots. I had to replace my CMU already due to blank screens every single day. Now, it reboots every now and then. Not reliable.
2) No real-time traffic updates. You get HD radio traffic updates which have a delay of 15 mins and not to mention half of the time, the map does not load! WTF?
3) Historical traffic...what a f* joke... Drive thru an accident once, the system will mark that route as congested for an eternity
4) Voice dialing? Don't try to use it as soon as you start the car, you'll get some BS about "analyzing pronunciation"
5) Persistent annoying driving warning upon bootup. The system is completely unresponsive until that warning comes up and you dismiss it.
6) Software plagued with bugs. Speed limit warning? Settings don't change
7) Convoluted menus.
8) Can't do certain features while driving
9) Outdated maps...even with the latest update. Do you have any ideas how many times it has made me get off the highway just to get me back on 1 exit later?

I could go on, but you get the point....this is one if not the worse infotainment system I have seen on a car. Why is ACP or AA important? Because they make all the difference! I rent a lot of cars for work travel, having ACP is amazing. Texting, Maps, real traffic, podcast. It's like having a different infotainment system. AA is even more versatile. Seriously Mazda, who the F* used Aha radio...wtf is that? I have never hear of it before.

The balls of some of you defending Mazda talking about how much value you get for the money and how ACP or AA are not important...come on guys. Don't be fan boys. Yea...driving matters, that's what cars are for, but when you drive, you want nice suspension, cold AC, comfy leather seats, nice steering wheels, LED headlines, and freaking ACP or AA! It's part of the package. I'm honestly pissed that this hasn't been available sooner and if my 2016 doesn't qualify to get it I'm trading my Mazda. I will buy something else. Companies need to embrace technology and stop trying to cut corners and pretend they're a "luxury" brand. You can buy an used CPO Audi or BMW, sure a 2-3 older, but it will still have more tech and drive as well or better than a new Mazda

What's every other brands excuse for all the stuff they're missing that the CX-9 has?

I just rented a 2017 V6 Explorer for the last week and both my wife and I hated it. And that's the segments best seller.

The CX-9 literally feels like a luxury brand in comparison. The Explorer was a sea of hard cheap plastics inside. The infotainment that has AC/AA was terribly outdated compared to Mazda Connect.
The V6 was louder and worked harder under acceleration than the CX-9's 4T. The transmission was jerky, the CX-9 is as smooth as butter. The interior controls are all un-intuitive. The dead pedal moved your left foot over near the center. It's a totally forgettable driving experience. No desire to drive it while I look forward to getting into the CX-9 everytime. Oh, I almost forgot about the worst thing of all, the seats! I literally could not drive more than 30 minutes. Even 5 minutes is too long. The head rests jet out 6" beyond the seat so a human can't get comfortable. No side bolstering either.

But hey, it has AC/AA! Who cares if every other aspect of the vehicle sucks.

Last edited:
Let's see if we can figure this out...

What's every other brands excuse for all the stuff they're missing that the CX-9 has?

I just rented a 2017 V6 Explorer

...and there we have it. You are comparing a top trim CX-9 with the rental grade Explorer. The CX-9 is nicer? I'm blown away!

And that's the segments best seller.

Indeed. It's almost like Ford knows what people want and makes it...

The Explorer was a sea of hard cheap plastics inside. The infotainment that has AC/AA was terribly outdated compared to Mazda Connect.
The V6 was louder and worked harder under acceleration than the CX-9's 4T. The transmission was jerky, the CX-9 is as smooth as butter. The interior controls are all un-intuitive. The dead pedal moved your left foot over near the center. It's a totally forgettable driving experience.

Which is further confirmation that Mazda's recipe for this segment is not hitting the mark with the typical buyer, who apparently values things like size and selling price more than driving dynamics.

I'm glad Mazda makes nice to drive cars, it's good to have the option. Having said that, the majority of the car buying public just doesn't seem to prioritize the driving experience, and instead buys a car like it is a major appliance.

...and there we have it. You are comparing a top trim CX-9 with the rental grade Explorer. The CX-9 is nicer? I'm blown away!

The interior and most of the vehicle of the $53K Explorer Platinum is largely the same as the mid-trim model I drove. The things I pointed out are the same across the board. I'm not ignorant to the fact the the higher trims come with nicer leather, added "wood", and more features, and most importantly and more powerful engine. The top trim Explorers still have a cheap plastic dash/center stack and is built in the same cheap tin can feel. Drive both, the CX-9 is a whole different level regardless of trim level. The vehicle itself is still the vehicle itself in both cases.

Indeed. It's almost like Ford knows what people want and makes it...

The #1 reason people buy Explorers is exterior design as surveyed by buyers. One of the qualities that people in this discussion say family hauler buyers don't care about. I have a strong feeling most buyers don't test drive anything else.

Which is further confirmation that Mazda's recipe for this segment is not hitting the mark with the typical buyer, who apparently values things like size and selling price more than driving dynamics.

I'm glad Mazda makes nice to drive cars, it's good to have the option. Having said that, the majority of the car buying public just doesn't seem to prioritize the driving experience, and instead buys a car like it is a major appliance.

Will say it over and over again. Mazda isn't chasing easy sales. That's actually the easy way to go is to just do what everyone is doing. There's different companies in order to cater to different buyers.
Tesla is building a very unique product that most people don't want, but some people do. Should Tesla just forget doing electric because sales in the segment are very niche?

This whole argument on this site continues to drive me nuts. Like companies can't choose to be out of the mainstream. Like it's some mistake. It's so far from a mistake. Mazda's focus is so intentional unlike most mainstream brands that have no defined mission.

This whole argument on this site continues to drive me nuts. Like companies can't choose to be out of the mainstream. Like it's some mistake. It's so far from a mistake. Mazda's focus is so intentional unlike most mainstream brands that have no defined mission.

I will put it in very simple terms - at the end of the day - cash is king! Mazda, just like every other car company in the world is in this business to make money (cash). Mazda's purpose is not to please only a handful of people with unique needs because a handful of people is not enough to pay the bills. Mazda's "mission" is to make money! Simple as that.
Also, Mazda is a very much 100% mainstream brand and sadly, it was not doing too well up until few years ago. The whole partnership with Ford up until recently is no coincidence.
Don't kid yourself - there is nothing unique about them or their cars. The fact that the new CX-9 Signature is a bit nicer inside than all the other "non-luxury" options in the class is cool and appreciated by a handful of us, but hardly is a big deal. If it was such a big deal, the CX-9 sales would not be so mediocre and local dealers won't be giving $7-8k off on every new loaded '18 CX-9. They are NOT selling like hot cakes. Why is that? Mazda is not some exotic, high demand, limited production, cool brand that everyone is drooling over. Never was. Not even close. This is the plain reality - like it or not. 90% of Mazda's cars are as mainstream as it gets, but they still can't win a ton of customers. Something must not be working so well. Lets hope they figure it out soon.

Are you implying Mazda is like Tesla? Really? I see zero similarity.
What Tesla is doing is actually truly unique, BUT.... it comes at a huge cost. Tesla is burning through cash like crazy. Financially the company is not doing well, at all. If it was not for the generous US government subsidies, they would be dead by now. If the Model 3 does not take off and if the company fails to support it long term - forget Tesla. Cool idea, unique cars, but despite their crazy high cost - they are still losing money. Yet.... GM, Ford, the Germans and now Hyundai are all coming out with long range, affordable, cool all electric cars that cost 1/3 the Tesla price, and are not sold at a loss.

Mazda, as a car company, has not impressed me yet. I have driven the lower trims of the CX-5 and the Mazda 6/3 (as loaners or rentals) and i can say that i was not impressed at all. There were plenty of cheap touches, noisy interiors, so-so seats, bad stereo systems, so-so brakes, and poor sounding 4-cyl engines when pushed hard. All these cars did not feel or look or drive any better than mainstream alternatives from Hyundai, Toyota, Ford or Nissan. Actually, i would pick a base trim Ford Fusion SE or Hyundai Sonata over a base trim Mazda 6, any day....I would also pick a Hyundai Tucson 1.6T over a CX-5 any day, but that's just me.
This is why i am having really hard time with your comment above, about Mazda being "out of the mainstream". I don't see it and i am not the only one. ;) :)

This discussion is getting completely off-topic. I will say this and leave it there - I really like my CX-9 Signature and i enjoy it as much as everyone here, but i refuse to be a "fanboy" who puts his head in the sand and never praises or recognizes anything but Mazda.
The CX-9 in Signature trim is a very nice car/CUV and offers a lot for the money to meet MY current needs, especially when bought at a discount. You get a lot of car. Some of the nice things it offers and i care about are not found in the competition, agreed. However, the competition offers some other options/toys/specs that the CX-9 simply doesn't have. Fact!
At this stage of my life and given the other cars i have parked in my driveway, the CX-9 is the right choice for me, but it is NOT the perfect car. If i needed a slightly larger SUV with an actual cargo space, real 4WD system, and more power under the hood, or if i truly cared about the latest technology in infotainment - i would have never bought the CX-9. Luckily, my wife's SUV covers most of these gaps very well and more, so i am happy. :)

Last edited:
Wow...this thread has suddenly become a debate/gripe session! Just like a few months ago caused by certain individuals that went off-topic and started with debates that turned into attacks...unfortunately this type of discussion just turns me off and probably some other people. I know we're all passionate about our Mazdas but come on folks let's stick to the real topic and try to be as informative as possible. I'm sure we can all agree to disagree...no?!

I will put it in very simple terms - at the end of the day - cash is king! Mazda, just like every other car company in the world is in this business to make money (cash). Mazda's purpose is not to please only a handful of people with unique needs because a handful of people is not enough to pay the bills. Mazda's "mission" is to make money! Simple as that.
Also, Mazda is a very much 100% mainstream brand and sadly, it was not doing too well up until few years ago. The whole partnership with Ford up until recently is no coincidence.
Don't kid yourself - there is nothing unique about them or their cars. The fact that the new CX-9 Signature is a bit nicer inside than all the other "non-luxury" options in the class is cool and appreciated by a handful of us, but hardly is a big deal. If it was such a big deal, the CX-9 sales would not be so mediocre and local dealers won't be giving $7-8k off on every new loaded '18 CX-9. They are NOT selling like hot cakes. Why is that? Mazda is not some exotic, high demand, limited production, cool brand that everyone is drooling over. Never was. Not even close. This is the plain reality - like it or not. 90% of Mazda's cars are as mainstream as it gets, but they still can't win a ton of customers. Something must not be working so well. Lets hope they figure it out soon.

Are you implying Mazda is like Tesla? Really? I see zero similarity.
What Tesla is doing is actually truly unique, BUT.... it comes at a huge cost. Tesla is burning through cash like crazy. Financially the company is not doing well, at all. If it was not for the generous US government subsidies, they would be dead by now. If the Model 3 does not take off and if the company fails to support it long term - forget Tesla. Cool idea, unique cars, but despite their crazy high cost - they are still losing money. Yet.... GM, Ford, the Germans and now Hyundai are all coming out with long range, affordable, cool all electric cars that cost 1/3 the Tesla price, and are not sold at a loss.

Mazda, as a car company, has not impressed me yet. I have driven the lower trims of the CX-5 and the Mazda 6/3 (as loaners or rentals) and i can say that i was not impressed at all. There were plenty of cheap touches, noisy interiors, so-so seats, bad stereo systems, so-so brakes, and poor sounding 4-cyl engines when pushed hard. All these cars did not feel or look or drive any better than mainstream alternatives from Hyundai, Toyota, Ford or Nissan. Actually, i would pick a base trim Ford Fusion SE or Hyundai Sonata over a base trim Mazda 6, any day....I would also pick a Hyundai Tucson 1.6T over a CX-5 any day, but that's just me.
This is why i am having really hard time with your comment above, about Mazda being "out of the mainstream". I don't see it and i am not the only one. ;) :)

This discussion is getting completely off-topic. I will say this and leave it there - I really like my CX-9 Signature and i enjoy it as much as everyone here, but i refuse to be a "fanboy" who puts his head in the sand and never praises or recognizes anything but Mazda.
The CX-9 in Signature trim is a very nice car/CUV and offers a lot for the money to meet MY current needs, especially when bought at a discount. You get a lot of car. Some of the nice things it offers and i care about are not found in the competition, agreed. However, the competition offers some other options/toys/specs that the CX-9 simply doesn't have. Fact!
At this stage of my life and given the other cars i have parked in my driveway, the CX-9 is the right choice for me, but it is NOT the perfect car. If i needed a slightly larger SUV with an actual cargo space, real 4WD system, and more power under the hood, or if i truly cared about the latest technology in infotainment - i would have never bought the CX-9. Luckily, my wife's SUV covers most of these gaps very well and more, so i am happy. :)

This is my 1st Mazda, I certainly don't consider myself a fanboy. I'm a enthusiast of all cars in general. I've been a long time Toyota loyalist but wanted something more interesting this time.

Let me try and clarify my points. Yes, Mazda is "mainstream" defined as non-luxury/exotic. On the other hand, they don't follow the formula of the Ford's, Chevy's, Toyota's, Honda's, & Hyundai's of the world. Don't you think it would be easier to just build bloated appliances and go after the volume sellers without doing something different? IMO it's easier to play the size and space war and load up cars with goodies than to engineer a fundamentaly better CAR (better dynamics, suspension, steering, transmission, design, etc. thereby creating the elusive "soul" of the automobile that so few accomplish. Engineering a human connection to a machine isn't easy. Let others build appliances, Mazda isn't interested.

How many CX-9 competitors have you driven? I'm a little surprised that you have a CX-9 Signature and are down playing it so much. As if you had a much more expensive vehicle before. The CX-9 in it's interior/exterior design/quality and driving feel isn't just slightly better than the field, it's really not close.

Yes, buyers in general may not care about these things and that's their preference. I see no point in arguing Mazda's strategy because they are just a small company doing their thing. Mazda knew full well that when they designed the CX-9 that it wouldn't be as big as a Traverse, as powerful as a V8 Durango, as versatile as a Pilot, or whatever. It's like people are surprised that Mazda's 3-row solution didn't hit on all these benchmarks and somehow Mazda didn't see what everyone else was doing.

Mazda's low sales numbers aren't simply product driven. Numerous factors lead to sales.

- brand recognition
- brand loyalty
- past perception
- incentives
- dealer network
- warranty

Before someone even takes a look at a Mazda, many people have them written off in their minds write off the bat. I bet there's people that go shopping and are completely unaware of the existence of some Mazda models. Those that only know the best sellers. They only shop the comfortable choices. When a CR-V owner is ready to trade up, where do you think they go?

Mazda exists to fill the niche that the volume pushers miss. Most of us buy a particular Mazda because it's not like all the other options out there that try to fill the bells and whistles checklist. I've said before it would be the easier way to go for Mazda to copy Hyundai and Kia's formula to sell to a broader buyer.

Why do you think that fathers would want to own a sports car on the side just to get some spirited driving out of his system each Sunday? In my situation, I bring my kids to school each morning before heading to work. I'm also a car enthusiast. Thanks to Mazda, there was one clear choice for me. Everything in one package without desiring a Miata to sit 95% of the time. I actually have no desire to own sports cars but love driving, go figure.

It's not all that complicated. Why does Porsche, Jaguar, and now even Lamborghini build SUV's? Is it to compete with the most sensible family hauler out there or rather stir your emotions while still being practical for daily living?

So we are comparing the CX-9 to Porsches, Jags and Lambos now? (uhm)

Those companies make SUVs because they realize that they can make a s***-ton of $$ doing it. Enthusiasts (those are who we keep talking about here, right) were appalled when the first Cayenne was introduced. "Ridiculous!" "How can Porsche sell such a thing?" "Blasphemy!"

Oh...and circling back to the OP, the Porsche Cayenne comes with Apple Car Play. So I guess those buyers don't really care about driving, just tech....

Last edited:
This is my 1st Mazda, I certainly don't consider myself a fanboy. I'm a enthusiast of all cars in general. I've been a long time Toyota loyalist but wanted something more interesting this time.

I can say the same thing about myself. My first real Mazda. I have driven (rent/loaned) a few before but never paid for one. My brother in-law has a '16 Mazda 6 GT so i have some direct observation over his car.
We have Lexus and Toyota in the family today, and an old 1994 Mazda B4000 truck, yes another Mazda, but it is 90% Ford Ranger. :)
Prior to current Toyota/Lexus cars, we had a plug-in Prius, Acura TSX and Acura RL sw-awd, Nissan Maxima...older Audis, Ford and a Corolla.
I enjoy cars, different cars from all sizes, brands, shapes, hp, price range, etc. I also love to work on cars ...from basic maintenance (oil, belts, brakes) to tuning, rebuilt and upgrades.

How many CX-9 competitors have you driven? I'm a little surprised that you have a CX-9 Signature and are down playing it so much. As if you had a much more expensive vehicle before. The CX-9 in it's interior/exterior design/quality and driving feel isn't just slightly better than the field, it's really not close.

I am not downplaying the CX-9, i am just being 100% realistic about its weaknesses and strengths and also what else is out there. The list of cars i drove before i bought the CX-9 is very long. It was a 5 months process for me. I drove everything from Toyota Highlander Limited, to Lexus RX450h, to Porsche Cayenne TDI, Audi Q7 TDI, Acura MDX, Hyundai Santa Fe Limited, Buick Enclave, BMW X5 diesel, Benz ML350 bluetec, VW Atlas... and the list goes on and on. Some of the cars were brand new, some were certified pre-owned.
My last car was a fully loaded 2012 Audi S4, Stage 2 tuned. I loved that car. It had close to 100k miles when i sold it but was solid as a rock, yet it was pushing 450+hp with no effort. Why i sold it? Well... 3 kids under the age of 8 cannot fit in Audi S4. Not even in Audi A6/S6. I drive my kids to school and activities almost every other day, so the small rear seat in the S4 was becoming a real issue for the family.

The CX-9 Signature won my business at the end of the day. I test drove it 3 or 4 times. Clearly i liked the car. I needed the rear seat room and decent handling/fun to drive factor + AWD. I also wanted decent MPG, given the amount of miles i put on my cars per year. The price and full warranty were also a factor. At the end of the day, it was a good compromise and so far - i like it. I miss my old S4 but i do enjoy driving the CX-9 a lot. I am also convinced now that it is far from perfect and i find myself wishing it had a few extra things.

They only shop the comfortable choices. When a CR-V owner is ready to trade up, where do you think they go?

⬆️That used to be me, only comfy choices. I was a lifelong Toyota guy until I bought the new RAV4 and simply had enough of that utilitarian rattletrap.

I researched and test drove everything else I thought I wanted - BMW, Volvo, Acura, Jeep, Lexus, Audi, VW, Nissan etc but landed in a new Mazda. FOR THE MONEY SPENT, the CX-9 kicks ass.

Ya know, I've watched a few threads over the last several months derail into arguments over "Mazda vs. enter car brand here _____ " and "Mazda's marketing philosophy" etc...

For those constantly bitchin about your CX-9, you might consider doing yourself and family a favor: BUY ANOTHER CAR.

⬆️
For those constantly bitchin about your CX-9, you might consider doing yourself and family a favor: BUY ANOTHER CAR.

I don't see anyone here bitching about the CX-9. We are mostly talking about all the good and some of the bad that comes with it...and the fact that it is not perfect. Nothing else, nothing more.
And yes, some of us are not happy with the decisions Mazda has made around AA/ACP. Are we all supposed to stay quiet about it and not express some disappointment?? Why?

Latest posts

Back