Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

Just installed Apple CarPlay on my 2016 CX-9 GT. Best $155 spent all year! Installation went well. I didnt want to spend money on a trim tool kit, used a plastic card, worked just as good. Also, tip, if you want to fish the wires to the back, life hack, use a measuring tape and tape the plug head to the end once you fish the measuring tape to the front of the car. Pulled it right through. Life is good with CarPlay. :)

According to google Android auto does support the function but it's upto Mazda to support using Google APIs for Android auto.

No sir you can't...I wonder if this could be done via a s/w update. Thoughts anyone.

Bummer. You should be able to, it I doubt Mazda will do that. They need an incentive to give sell you on their crappy navigation.

It*s nit a deal breaker to me, most of the times I can*t use the HUD anyways due to the polarization. Polarized glasses don*t mix well with the HUD. Not if it has been fixed in the newer models?

Bummer. You should be able to, it I doubt Mazda will do that. They need an incentive to give sell you on their crappy navigation.

It*s nit a deal breaker to me, most of the times I can*t use the HUD anyways due to the polarization. Polarized glasses don*t mix well with the HUD. Not if it has been fixed in the newer models?

Shift your HUD display setting to the right or left that should help with polarized glasses. You can also shift your head position.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Shift your HUD display setting to the right or left that should help with polarized glasses. You can also shift your head position.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

I don*t think that*s how to works. The only way to see if would be tilting my head sideways and that*s not a safe way to drive and it would be extremely uncomfortable for any extended period.

Then if I don*t use polarized sunglasses I have to deal with the horrible road glare.

Anyway, made an appointment for tomorrow, $350 with everything.

I don*t think that*s how to works. The only way to see if would be tilting my head sideways and that*s not a safe way to drive and it would be extremely uncomfortable for any extended period.

Then if I don*t use polarized sunglasses I have to deal with the horrible road glare.

Anyway, made an appointment for tomorrow, $350 with everything.

Which dealer?

My wife's CX9 is due for an oil change soon and I'm planning on taking it to a dealer and also get this retrofit installed.

Which dealer?

My wife's CX9 is due for an oil change soon and I'm planning on taking it to a dealer and also get this retrofit installed.

I went to Team Kia El Cajon - I originally purchased my car from Mazda Subaru El Cajon and they sold the Mazda business to Kia. They are really great. Been there a couple of times and the service has been excellent. Car service great. Service in general above and beyond. For example, I told them today that their bathroom faucet was damaged and was dripping water. They replaced it within minutes! New faucet installed!

Anyway, I called Thursday, made an appointment for Friday. They said they had like a dozen kits. All, including taxes, was like $366 and took about two hours to complete. They also did a repair recall for my car. I believe rear shock absorber that squeaks...which I had noticed. They even repaired the black plastic that goes above the wheels, it had broken a while back. Clips got loose. They put new clips and secured it well so that it won't finish coming apart. Saved me $166 which is the cost of replacing it!!

It feels like a brand new car! I was thinking about buying a new 2019 signature due to the extra features and now I don't know. CarPlay works very well. Finally real traffic information. Voice assistant that actually works and doesn't take forever to load. Google Maps is very speedy, even with Satellite images. Really worth the money. I can't wait to drive the car again and just enjoy music, podcast and everything else without the hassle and the old UI!

That was one reason why I wanted to upgrade, the other is I want front parking sensors. I've been searching for front cameras or parking sensors to install. Does anyone know a place that install aftermarket sensor or cameras for the front? All I've found online are mostly for backup. I wish Mazda made this kit available. They have the rear available, but not the front. The Australian market has front parking sensor package, but it's non existing in NA.

For those still on the fence, you can order the kit from eBay and get 15% off using code PICKUPSALE at checkout (valid today 12/15 only). Also if you have a Chase credit card, check out the offers for Staples and Lowes for 10% cash back where you can purchase eBay gift cards.

How did you get satellite images on the monitor? On my phone it's set to "Start maps in satellite view", but the monitor only displays the default view.

Once you have Google maps installed, click the gear icon on the top right I think, there*s a setting to select Satellite. I think you can also change it on your phone. Let me know if you can*t find it and I*ll take a picture.

All, I have been perusing this thread (and posted quite a bit as well) for a while now, even got myself to pay for the kit and trying on my own. However, after one failed attempt and many research later, I ended up paying the dealership for the kit and install.

If you are like me and go through any type of recurring road trips (I take a roundtrip drive once every 2 wks or so), having waze and apple music available on the go is invaluable. I was able to find the quickest route during rush hour that day via waze and also be aware of all of the speed trap etc.

If anybody around colmar PA area is thinking of installing, I can let you know of the dealership- they price it at 305 with everything.

Ordered today also, Great deal @ $132

Yep, they lowered their price (if it's the same dealership selling on eBay) so that make it an ever better deal. Self install was no problem, and having Waze "on the big screen" is very cool.

Yep, they lowered their price (if it's the same dealership selling on eBay) so that make it an ever better deal. Self install was no problem, and having Waze "on the big screen" is very cool.

How*s Waze working for you? I tried Google Maps and although Satellite imagery is great, the traffic prediction suck. On my commute to work I*m usually seeing lots of orange and red with no traffic delays at all. Usually in trouble spots, but we*re there aren*t currently any delays. The ETA still shows green though so I don*t know. Confusing I guess.

Accessories

It is clear that this car didnt have CarPlay or AA in mind when it was designed. The console isnt very friendly, and the vents are small. I found this vent clip that works extremely well and its about half the price of similar ones on amazon. Id recommend this only because your phone will get the cold ac air instead of sitting somewhere accumulating head from direct sunlight or self generated by charging and navigation. On long road trips I find that keeping the phone cool will prolong battery in the long run too, as head degrades it. I also have this cable which is usb micro to lightning that can be used with android or iPhone. USB c adapters are also available.
The clip is very sturdy and can be used without holding it. Te DT is a bit tight, but in the right place can work.
iYQ1bO6.jpg

It is clear that this car didn*t have CarPlay or AA in mind when it was designed. The console isn*t very friendly, and the vents are small. I found this vent clip that works extremely well and it*s about half the price of similar ones on amazon. I*d recommend this only because your phone will get the cold ac air instead of sitting somewhere accumulating head from direct sunlight or self generated by charging and navigation. On long road trips I find that keeping the phone cool will prolong battery in the long run too, as head degrades it. I also have this cable which is usb micro to lightning that can be used with android or iPhone. USB c adapters are also available.
The clip is very sturdy and can be used without holding it. Te DT is a bit tight, but in the right place can work.
iYQ1bO6.jpg

I*ve been using similar vent mounts for years, but the beauty of CarPlay is the phone can be anywhere. You don*t need access to it. Just plug it in and keep it in the center console or a cubby.

I*ve been using similar vent mounts for years, but the beauty of CarPlay is the phone can be anywhere. You don*t need access to it. Just plug it in and keep it in the center console or a cubby.

True, but the phones does get hot, especially when turn by turn navigation is on, and if you're playing music, plus the phone is charging, it will degrade the phone battery a lot faster. Having the AC blow on it solves this issue. During winter, I just put my phone somewhere else, otherwise, the heat will make things worse.

Back