Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

Very nice, this looks promising. What I am more interesting in is whether the change in hardware also brings with it improvement in output to at least 2 Amps. The current rating on the front ports is mediocre from the factory, to say the least. I imagine this was one of the baselines limiting compatibility since AA runs off the device.
Well according to the guy who did the install, his charging rate went from 320mA to 1030mA. An improvement but, still needs a bit of work.

Also, mazda has finally set a date for the release of AA/CP! August 6, 2018 according to the Mazda press website.

https://www.mazda-press.com/eu/news/2018/mazda-adds-smartphone-control-to-mzd-connect-/

And they've clarified that it is available for ALL mazda connect equipped vehicles. Sounds like they are finally getting to work.Now I just want to see what their price structure looks like.

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to be available as retrofit this fall

Well according to the guy who did the install, his charging rate went from 320mA to 1030mA. An improvement but, still needs a bit of work.

Also, mazda has finally set a date for the release of AA/CP! August 6, 2018 according to the Mazda press website.

https://www.mazda-press.com/eu/news/2018/mazda-adds-smartphone-control-to-mzd-connect-/

And they've clarified that it is available for ALL mazda connect equipped vehicles. Sounds like they are finally getting to work.Now I just want to see what their price structure looks like.

Note that’s a Mazda Europe press release. As far as I know, no official US announcement yet. I read on another forum that it looked like it would be 220€ plus labor over there (~$250 + labor USD).

It’s definitely nice to know there’s finally some new developments on this. Hopefully the US announcement is soon to follow.

Last edited:
Bummer, but yeah, hopefully the US announcement is pending. Wow that price is 1.5X the actual cost of the parts...that sux.

That article's a few weeks old. It just hasn't been announced for the states YET, and there's word from Mazda USA today that an announcement is going to happen next week.

Patience, friends. We're close.

So I bought the new USB interface and cables on tbfocus - they arrived yesterday and we installed them today. Very straight forward (the CMU is located UNDER the screen, not behind the glovebox) and I'm now charging much faster than I was before.

Now I just have to wait for v70 of the software and update it at home.

That article's a few weeks old. It just hasn't been announced for the states YET, and there's word from Mazda USA today that an announcement is going to happen next week.

Patience, friends. We're close.

Ok... first, that article is just over a week old. I was on that same boat too; were close, theres just no official US announcement yet... then I stumbled on to this article stating that Europe gets it next month (which we already knew) but that US will have to wait (which is the part that stings). I would absolutely love for that to be wrong. Im going to be first in line when it becomes available.

Where did you see or hear that Mazda USA announcement? I couldnt find anything at all from them.

New USB interface (installed) vs old USB interface (sitting in the console) for comparison. Sorry for it being so dirty, didn't get a chance to clean it after we installed everything..

Attachments

• IMG_1820.JPG
    IMG_1820.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 717
New USB interface (installed) vs old USB interface (sitting in the console) for comparison. Sorry for it being so dirty, didn't get a chance to clean it after we installed everything..

Nice! I might end up with the DIY project too if Mazda keeps dragging their feet.

So I bought the new USB interface and cables on tbfocus - they arrived yesterday and we installed them today. Very straight forward (the CMU is located UNDER the screen, not behind the glovebox) and I'm now charging much faster than I was before.

Now I just have to wait for v70 of the software and update it at home.

How did you get to the CMU?

How did you get to the CMU?

two bolts behind the infotainment display (they're under a little plastic cap that is colored to look like the leather trim). Once those bolts are out, carefully pry around the trim and pull up on the screen; it will pop out. The metal "computer" looking thing under the screen is the CMU.

There are two bolts that hold it in on either side - undo those bolts and it will slide right out. The connectors are on the back of the CMU.

two bolts behind the infotainment display (they're under a little plastic cap that is colored to look like the leather trim). Once those bolts are out, carefully pry around the trim and pull up on the screen; it will pop out. The metal "computer" looking thing under the screen is the CMU.

There are two bolts that hold it in on either side - undo those bolts and it will slide right out. The connectors are on the back of the CMU.

Just to be clear, you just have the module installed (faster charging), the AA/ AC functionality is not yet rolled into your system, correct?

Also, will swapping this connector void your warranty?

Last edited:
Nice, so many people getting an early jump on this, I might just do it myself too. Think i'll do the wifes CX-5 first, since she's having issues keeping her phone charged anyway. Can't believe it's taking so long for Mazda to roll this out.

Just to be clear, you just have the module installed (faster charging), the AA/ AC functionality is not yet rolled into your system, correct?

Also, will swapping this connector void your warranty?

That's correct. I can confim the charging works significantly better after the install.

I have no idea about the warranty but I'm already outside of the bumper to bumper (shrug)

Latest posts

Back