Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

Sorry if this is old info.

I'm at Mazda service and the service rep clearly stated ACP will be offered as a free upgrade in January. This applies to all 2018 GT and Signature trim CX-9's and Mazda 6's.

If you want the upgrade now, you'll have to pay for it. If anyone has heard conflicting info, I'm just the messenger, LoL. Have a great day.

Thanks for the information! Kind of sucks for me, since I had the touring trim! Rats!

Oh well, its a good thing then I bought the kits already- I am still holding off on the install though.

+1, hope its true but I drought they would change their mind and risk upsetting all those that already paid for it. Even a discounted install offer for 2018 would have been a good olive branch for recent buyers.

I am surprised that Mazda US is offering this free upgrade, not sure about Canada.

I wanted to make sure my info from service was correct so I stuck my head back in there later and asked again for clarity.

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with Mazda service for a little more info.

2016 and 2017 CX-9's are not included in the free upgrade.

Sorry if this is old info.

I'm at Mazda service and the service rep clearly stated ACP will be offered as a free upgrade in January. This applies to all 2018 GT and Signature trim CX-9's and Mazda 6's.

If you want the upgrade now, you'll have to pay for it. If anyone has heard conflicting info, I'm just the messenger, LoL. Have a great day.

LOL, and I just received the parts.

LOL, and I just received the parts.

You could surely find a buyer in no time if you do end up getting it for free. Also keep in mind that whatever Mazda NA ends up doing for the US wont necessarily apply to PR. I think in your case it might ultimately depend on how Bella wants to roll it out.

You could surely find a buyer in no time if you do end up getting it for free. Also keep in mind that whatever Mazda NA ends up doing for the US won*t necessarily apply to PR. I think in your case it might ultimately depend on how Bella wants to roll it out.

I asked to one of the service "advisors" about the upgrade and he didn't know what I was talking about. He was very surprised about it. I don't think Bella hve a clue about the upgrade so waiting for them is not an option. The installation procress is very easy so I'll do it myself.

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to be available as retrofit this fall

I asked to one of the service "advisors" about the upgrade and he didn't know what I was talking about. He was very surprised about it. I don't think Bella hve a clue about the upgrade so waiting for them is not an option. The installation procress is very easy so I'll do it myself.

Yup... theyre always kind of late to the party. But dont throw away the stock usb hub just in case they eventually offer it free for you. That way you could undo the install, have them do their install, and sell the extra kit.

Last edited:
Just got word, CarPlay is $450 plus tax here in Huntington, NY...what are the prices you all getting?

I finished this mod, IMO Android Auto is a game changer but the higher current output is also a significant improvement. I also used this opportunity to run some wiring for my dash cam that's been hanging in space. It did take me 3 hours to do, including re-flashing the firmware to version 70.100

There are a lot of good tips on here already but I will add some of mine, which may seem like basic but it was not apparent to me at get go. For the harness connections on the module side (USB connectors in the armrest cubby), the old module uses a single green connector, the new module uses two connections, a white and brown.

The ends that go into the in dash's head unit are green and blue. In order to access these ports you have to remove the touch screen first which then gives you access to two bolts that hold the control unit in place. The ports will be behind this head unit. Likewise, you are removing the single connector and installing the two new ones.

Luckily, Mazda idiot proofed these plugs so it is not possible to install them incorrectly.

Last edited:
I finished this mod, IMO Android Auto is a game changer but the higher current output is also a significant improvement. I also used this opportunity to run some wiring for my dash cam that's been hanging in space. It did take me 3 hours to do, including re-flashing the firmware to version 70.100

There are a lot of good tips on here already but I will add some of mine, which may seem like basic but it was not apparent to me at get go. For the harness connections on the module side (USB connectors in the armrest cubby), the old module uses a single green connector, the new module uses two connections, a white and brown.

The ends that go into the in dash's head unit are green and blue. In order to access these ports you have to remove the touch screen first which then gives you access to two bolts that hold the control unit in place. The ports will be behind this head unit. Likewise, you are removing the single connector and installing the two new ones.

Luckily, Mazda idiot proofed these plugs so it is not possible to install them incorrectly.

I am going to install it myself aleki2424. Only thing that I am uncomfortable at this point is the firmware upgrade. Can you please elaborate on how you did the firmware upgrade?

one question- with carplay, will I be able to control the touchscreen when car is moving? Or will touchscreen be disabled, similar to the mazda infortainment setting? what about text messages via carplay?

I am going to install it myself aleki2424. Only thing that I am uncomfortable at this point is the firmware upgrade. Can you please elaborate on how you did the firmware upgrade?

This was the easiest part IMO. I suggest you read throughthe Mazda revolution thread, everything (literally) you need is outlined there
https://mazda3revolution.com/forums...enuine-carplay-android-auto-all-here-now.html

Summary:
Do not install the AA/AC hardware before you flashed the update
Firmware update process requires two .up files loaded onto your flash drive. Firmware is region specific so make sure you get the right files.
You install the 70.100 "failsafe" file first and then the main 70.100 firmware. Takes about 45 mins total
These folders are well organized and include a step by step guide published by Mazda
If you are really OCD, there is a checksum tool verifier that you can use to check that the files do not get corrupted in the flashdrive read/ write process

one question- with carplay, will I be able to control the touchscreen when car is moving? Or will touchscreen be disabled, similar to the mazda infortainment setting? what about text messages via carplay?

No, but you can use the controller knob. You can send/read text messages using Siri.

As aleki2424 said.

Please, before doing anything read the file named '2018 FIRMWARE CMU UPDATE PROCEDURE-WORLDWIDE.pdf' completely from this location, https://my.hidrive.com/share/hsodpqja.l#$/Mazda_Firmware/1%20CarPlay-AndroidAuto%20INSTALL,and follow all instructions without jumping or skipping any step or recommendations.

Atxyde answered your question... Ill just add that you can enable touchscreen in motion wit AIO tweaks.

Got a service appt for Nov 19 to install ACP module on my 2018 CX-9 Sig. Negotiated when car was purchased for invoice cost $315.00 parts and labor plus tax. I figure that*s worth it being part of the Apple ecosystem and to ensure the Mazda warranty remains intact. Hope this helps someone.

Peace and blessings,

Arman

Last edited:
I'm still striking out trying to get a dealer to install it in the Bay Area. They say they're only doing 2018 3's and 6's right now...

edit: NICE. The only one I had yet to call can do it on CX9's after the 20th!

Last edited:
I just completed the installation and upgrade an hour ago. It took 3.5 hours more or less. Everything went well and didn't encounter any major issues in the process. Happy with Carplay.

Back