Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

For those that have android auto/car play installed, when using NAV application like Waze, does it display the direction on the HUD?

No HUD directions. I regularly use apple maps, google maps, or waze.

One bit of info I can share, not sure if this useful to any one else: my dealer in Massachusetts will be able to order CarPlay retrofit parts for any customers on November 16, with an expected arrival to the dealer on November 19. They will be able to do the install on any Mazda Connect-equipped car. They're charging $375 for the parts and the labor to do the install. I know it can be done cheaper DIY but I'm not eager to take my dash apart myself so I'll be taking them up on that offer once they get the kits in.

One bit of info I can share, not sure if this useful to any one else: my dealer in Massachusetts will be able to order CarPlay retrofit parts for any customers on November 16, with an expected arrival to the dealer on November 19. They will be able to do the install on any Mazda Connect-equipped car. They're charging $375 for the parts and the labor to do the install. I know it can be done cheaper DIY but I'm not eager to take my dash apart myself so I'll be taking them up on that offer once they get the kits in.

I had read about that mid-November date elsewhere so hopefully its true. I went DIY myself, but at least to me, $375 is a reasonable number to get this done by the dealer. I wouldve had no problem paying that amount. Well worth it.

I just did the install. Let me just say that on skill level, I'm basically a 2 out of 10. I have taken apart the trim on a car once before and this was my first time on this car. Thoughts:

1) I used post #205. Doing this avoids taking off all the middle console stuff like the shifter and commander knob. The coat hanger part was a bit tricky but once I took a flash light and looked to see where I was aiming the hanger, I figure it out.

2) I was hoping the install video from the HiDrive where they installed it on a CX-5 would be helpful but there are so many differences between the CX-5 and CX-9 that it wasn't at all. They also remove way more trims than post 205 has you do.

2) There are a number of steps but it's not that many screws and the wiring is easy. Only say this to point out that you probably won't end up at the end trying to figure out which screw goes where or have wires crossed up. Just remember to make sure you have the new wires pointed correctly

3) The hardest trim removal was the back center A/C console. I was using trim removal tools but I could not get it off without making some slight dents in the edge. Would love to hear some thought on how to avoid that but just an FYI/warning to others.

4) Like many others, I took way longer to do it - 3 hours - than I should have. Could have easily been a 2 hour job or less job if I was a little bit more confident in removing trims. Besides the back center A/C console and threading the wire via hanger, I couldn't even tell you what else is difficult or takes a long time. It really is super straight forward.

And finally - a random question:

I noticed that when I have the power window lock switch on/locked, I cannot control the passenger windows from my driver side console. Is this how it's always been, new with the new firmware, or did I mess something up?

I noticed that when I have the power window lock switch on/locked, I cannot control the passenger windows from my driver side console. Is this how it's always been, new with the new firmware, or did I mess something up?

Mine locks all but the drivers side windows when you do that. I have not run the AA firmware yet

Thought I posted this earlier...I spoke with my Mazda dealer and told me the same thing, November 19th is the day for installation. I informed the Service Mgr., I would be the beta tester. They are installing the module at invoice price, as part of the negotiation on my 2018 CX-9 Sig. Can't Wait. I was told that were waiting on warranty authorization from Mazda corporate.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Thought I posted this earlier...I spoke with my Mazda dealer and told me the same thing, November 19th is the day for installation. I informed the Service Mgr., I would be the beta tester. They are installing the module at invoice price, as part of the negotiation on my 2018 CX-9 Sig. Can't Wait. I was told that were waiting on warranty authorization from Mazda corporate.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

I was under the impression that 2018s got this retrofit for free, have they reneged on this?

Hi guys,

My '18 CX 5 Touring does not have Mazda Nav, so when I press the Nav button, a nice display of compass and elevation appears - which I really like! Does any one know if the Apple Carplay upgrade would affect this?

Thanks much

Fred

Hi guys,

My '18 CX 5 Touring does not have Mazda Nav, so when I press the Nav button, a nice display of compass and elevation appears - which I really like! Does any one know if the Apple Carplay upgrade would affect this?

Thanks much

Fred

It depends. When you are in CarPlay, pressing the Nav button takes you to Apple Maps (would love it if you could pick which map app it takes you to by default but whatever).

However, you can also switch out of carplay into the default Mazda infotainment system by either selecting the Mazda app from carplay or holding down the home button. Once in the default Mazda app, Nav button works as it did before.

Thanks ab09, sounds like the best of both worlds.

Sure would be nice if my dealer installed carplay for free (??!)

Sorry if this is old info.

I'm at Mazda service and the service rep clearly stated ACP will be offered as a free upgrade in January. This applies to all 2018 GT and Signature trim CX-9's and Mazda 6's.

If you want the upgrade now, you'll have to pay for it. If anyone has heard conflicting info, I'm just the messenger, LoL. Have a great day.

Sorry if this is old info.

I'm at Mazda service and the service rep clearly stated ACP will be offered as a free upgrade in January. This applies to all 2018 GT and Signature trim CX-9's and Mazda 6's.

If you want the upgrade now, you'll have to pay for it. If anyone has heard conflicting info, I'm just the messenger, LoL. Have a great day.

I hope this is true. I contacted Mazda Canada about AA/ACP about a month and a half ago and they told me kick rocks. I don't really care for AA/ACP, but if it's free, I'll take it, lol.

I hope this is true. I contacted Mazda Canada about AA/ACP about a month and a half ago and they told me kick rocks. I don't really care for AA/ACP, but if it's free, I'll take it, lol.

+1, hope its true but I drought they would change their mind and risk upsetting all those that already paid for it. Even a discounted install offer for 2018 would have been a good olive branch for recent buyers.

Back