Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

I just installed the Carplay retrofit kit into my 2107 CX-9....and a have a few tips to share. I ordered my parts on Friday from Priority Mazda, and they were delivered here to Ontario Canada this morning (Wednesday) No duties/taxes. :)

For anyone planning on doing this themselves, here are a few tips:
-I had a really hard time routing the cables in the area right beside the passenger seat. I ended up removing the panel beside the seat...which was fairly easy to do:
-Remove the central storage bin/cup holders. There are two silver screws at the back of this part. Remove those and this will just pop out.
-The panel beside the seat is held in with about 6-7 silver screws (including one at the behind the seat near the floor). After taking these screws out the panel can be lifted out vertically.
-Don't try running the USB cables until the panel is removed. (Trust me on this one. I tries with the panel in place, also with it removed...the next point will explain why) It is way easier with it removed, and the cables can be routed in a better way. No routing under the seat rails, etc.
-Double check which cable ends go to the front, and which ends go to the back, i,e, Black & Brown vs Blue & Green. I rushed the first time and got it wrong. (I couldn't get the cables out, so I ended up having to remove the panel by the seat which was a better way to go anyway)
-All of the panels/parts were easy to remove with the exception of the shifter panel. The instructions said to just lift this out by hand, but i couldn't. Pry this up gently (with a tool) from the edge closest to the commander knob. Once the two clips along that edge let go, the rest of the clips can be popped by lifting by hand. When prying, you may want to put tape on the black surface to avoid scrapes when your pry tool slips.
-There is a not a lot of slack in the cables that plug into the back of the CMU. To plug these back in, I had to rest the CMU on the dash area just in front of the screen opening. Put a small cloth under the CMU to prevent damaging the dash.
-There will be about 2ft extra cable. This can be tie-wrap, and left behind foot well panel (i.e. behind the cigarette lighter outlet).
-I'd recommend removing the shifter handle. So people say this isn't necessary, but for the CX-9 we need to fully remove the shifter panel, in order to remove the commander knob panel, which needs to be removed in order to remove the panel beside the seat.

All in, the job took me about 3hrs, and that included 1/2 hour figuring out hour to get the shifter panel out, and another 1/2 hour fixing the cables I ran the wrong way. It was way easier to put everything back together than it was to take it all apart.

-I had a really hard time routing the cables in the area right beside the passenger seat. I ended up removing the panel beside the seat...which was fairly easy to do:
-Don't try running the USB cables until the panel is removed. (Trust me on this one. I tries with the panel in place, also with it removed...the next point will explain why) It is way easier with it removed, and the cables can be routed in a better way. No routing under the seat rails, etc.
-I'd recommend removing the shifter handle. So people say this isn't necessary, but for the CX-9 we need to fully remove the shifter panel, in order to remove the commander knob panel, which needs to be removed in order to remove the panel beside the seat.

I agree with what you said and would do the same except for this bit (at least on my '16 GT). If I were doing it again, now that I understood their instructions (which were confusing as heck and took me a while) I don't think what they say is so bad. Basically they tell you to (or at least I did):

- temporarily route the cable under the seat rail, just to take up the slack and keep the cable down toward the bottom where the panel meets the carpet.
- Then I pushed a loop of the USB cable (not the end of the cable like I did at first, which is more difficult!) up under the side panel from the back of the car toward the front in order to get past that annoying spot where the side panel is attached to the body (by the front of the passenger seat left rail). There is plenty of slack in the cable so I could push a bunch of looped cable into this void inside the panel.
- This then made it possible to grab part of the loop from in front of the rail/panel attachment point.
- Once I had that, I could could carefully pull the connector through
- Then the remaining cable slack could be pulled to the front of the car (taking care not to pull on the connections at the back of the car) taught (does not require much force) to get the cable to run straight from the rear A/C / console area to the front of the car.

If I were doing this on a second car, I'd estimate this step to take under 5 minutes.

Those instructions might not make too much sense without pictures. If others want to try without removing a ton of panels I can go to the car to try to take pictures and annotate them. I think in the end I only took off the back A/C / console panel, the USB hub (popped it out from back there), one small passenger side panel, my glove box, and the CMU itself from above.

From what I have learned, genuine Mazda Android screen is not touchable while driving but the other allows. Other than that anyone can compare between genuine Mazda Android vs AIO tweak version. We would like to decide spending ~$500 for Mazda or $10 DIY. Thanks

Just did the install and it can be done so much easier than the instructions that are out there! First buy the tresalto trim removal kit from Amazon for $10 , your car trim will thank you.

Here is the step by step using cx9 trim removal guide names posted to hidrive in that other forum. Be sure to prep wires with foam tape and instal MAZDA Connectl v70 before starting.
1. Remove console side panel trim
2. Remove passenger footwell side trim panel
3. Remove glovebox
4. Remove Center display/CMU
5. Drop new cables down front dash from CMU opening to passenger foot well panel opening
6. Connect new cables to CMU
7. Reinstall Center display/CMU
8. Remove rear HVAC controls
9. Remove rear HVAC duct piece
10. Remove old USB/SD module
11. Run a straightened metal coat hanger from the back bottom passenger side of the center console to the passenger foot well panel opening. There shouldn*t be any resistance, it*s a tight space but open.
12. Attach new cables to coat hanger with electrical tape in the front passenger foot well . Be sure to wrap the connectors.
13. Pull wire through. Don*t force it. I got mine on the first try.
14. Connect new cables to new USB/SD module
15. Replace USB/SD module
16. Replace HVAC duct piece
17. Replace rear HVAC controls
18. Tidy up wires in glove box area
19. Replace Passenger foot well side trim panel
20. Replace glove box
21. Replace console side panel trim
22. Turn car on!

Removing the entire center console is a PITA and not needed.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have no problems ordering this and doing the hardware swap. What I can't seem to find in this post is what I need to do from the software side. We have a '17 CX-9, and now live about 4 hours from the closest dealer. I'll make a trip if I need to, but would prefer to wrap everything up myself. Is there a straightforward way of upgrading the firmware myself?

It is great to hear there are a lot of DIY methods for the infotainment system. However, has anybody been able to get it install via dealership in the US for the CX9? If so, what were the prices quoted?

I just installed the Carplay retrofit kit into my 2107 CX-9....and a have a few tips to share. I ordered my parts on Friday from Priority Mazda, and they were delivered here to Ontario Canada this morning (Wednesday) No duties/taxes. :)

For anyone planning on doing this themselves, here are a few tips:
-Remove the central storage bin/cup holders. There are two silver screws at the back of this part. Remove those and this will just pop out.
-The panel beside the seat is held in with about 6-7 silver screws (including one at the behind the seat near the floor). After taking these screws out the panel can be lifted out vertically.
-Double check which cable ends go to the front, and which ends go to the back, i,e, Black & Brown vs Blue & Green. I rushed the first time and got it wrong. (I couldn't get the cables out, so I ended up having to remove the panel by the seat which was a better way to go anyway)
-All of the panels/parts were easy to remove with the exception of the shifter panel. The instructions said to just lift this out by hand, but i couldn't. Pry this up gently (with a tool) from the edge closest to the commander knob. Once the two clips along that edge let go, the rest of the clips can be popped by lifting by hand. When prying, you may want to put tape on the black surface to avoid scrapes when your pry tool slips.
-There is a not a lot of slack in the cables that plug into the back of the CMU. To plug these back in, I had to rest the CMU on the dash area just in front of the screen opening. Put a small cloth under the CMU to prevent damaging the dash.
-There will be about 2ft extra cable. This can be tie-wrap, and left behind foot well panel (i.e. behind the cigarette lighter outlet).

All in, the job took me about 3hrs, and that included 1/2 hour figuring out hour to get the shifter panel out, and another 1/2 hour fixing the cables I ran the wrong way. It was way easier to put everything back together than it was to take it all apart.

I have a 2018 CX 9 GT. Talked to my dealer in US today. They said, it is not coming anytime soon. How much did it cost? Can you please share the link where you ordered the retrofit kit?

Does anyone know, if you use Google Maps through CarPlay, do you get directions on the HUD?

I think in the Mazda 6 video, the Apple Maps version did show up on the HUD. Not sure if the same thing will happen with the Google maps. I think someone did say that SIRI does not work with Google maps.

Can anyone comment on different iPhone navigation apps and their integration with the HUD? Thanks!

I dont get any HUD nav directions... not on the Apple maps app, not on Google maps, and not on Waze. Its totally worth it though. Ive been using mostly the Apple app with Waze running in the background.

I don*t get any HUD nav directions... not on the Apple maps app, not on Google maps, and not on Waze. It*s totally worth it though. I*ve been using mostly the Apple app with Waze running in the background.

Yep, no HUD (I wish future updates might include it but I doubt it) However, the graphic, traffic, routing is much better on Carplay and I have a Signature model that comes with the NAV.

My two local dealers had the parts, but wouldn*t sell them...so I ordered from another dealer.

Here you go:
https://www.prioritymazdaparts.com/oem-parts/mazda-smartphone-screen-mirroring-kit-00008fz34

I received it in less than a week, and that included shipping to Canada.

My guess is you put in a spoof vin of a mazda6 to get the part, correct? And do you think warranty might be a concern (since you fit a mazda6 part into a cx9)? I am genuinely curious as I have a cx9 and think this will probably be the only method to get CarPlay..

My guess is you put in a spoof vin of a mazda6 to get the part, correct? And do you think warranty might be a concern (since you fit a mazda6 part into a cx9)? I am genuinely curious as I have a cx9 and think this will probably be the only method to get CarPlay..

I got my kit from prioritymazda as well. Even though the item description says that the VIN is required, you can leave the VIN box blank at checkout and theyll process your order no questions asked. Thats just a field you would typically use to see if the part youre buying is compatible with your car. And I assure you that this kit is 100% compatible with 2016+ CX-9.

Warranty is absolutely NOT a concern, and trust that this is NOT a Mazda 6 specific part. All Mazda vehicles with the Mazda Connect infotainment system use this exact same USB aux/hub unit. The Mazda 6 only warning is just the way that Mazda NA has decided to roll this out at the moment. This is a Mazda genuine part and they cant void your warranty for installing it yourself.

I entered my CX-9 VIN when ordering the parts...no issues.

I got my kit from prioritymazda as well. Even though the item description says that the VIN is required, you can leave the VIN box blank at checkout and they*ll process your order no questions asked. That*s just a field you would typically use to see if the part you*re buying is compatible with your car. And I assure you that this kit is 100% compatible with 2016+ CX-9.

Warranty is absolutely NOT a concern, and trust that this is NOT a Mazda 6 specific part. All Mazda vehicles with the Mazda Connect infotainment system use this exact same USB aux/hub unit. The *Mazda 6 only* warning is just the way that Mazda NA has decided to roll this out at the moment. This is a Mazda genuine part and they can*t void your warranty for installing it yourself.

Thanks for the reply. I think you initially answered for me on the warranty before as well- thank you for answering again with more detail. As this seems to be a rather straightforward install, I will start rounding up some $$ to procure these parts..!

@chacheee, thanks for your reply below as well!

Thanks for the reply. I think you initially answered for me on the warranty before as well- thank you for answering again with more detail. As this seems to be a rather straightforward install, I will start rounding up some $$ to procure these parts..!

@chacheee, thanks for your reply below as well!

Sure, no worries. And this is one of those upgrades that is totally worth it. I cant talk about Android Auto, but CarPlays interface is so much smoother than Mazdas native its not even close.

Back