Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

Just letting you guys know....about the GENUINE CP/AA I posted back..

We have consolidated all the Firmware and CP/AA INSTALL details in the same server.

Have also included Video's on "How To" REVEAL the Cars CMU, which is 60% of the trim removal process..

Here is the link again..
https://my.hidrive.com/share/hsodpqja.l#$/Mazda_Firmware

PLEASE YOU CAN NOT INSTALL 70.00.021x or ABOVE Firmware and expect either CarPlay or Android Auto to work as it Will NOT.
You also MUST install new 70s Firmware First BEFORE you remove Trim Parts.
And you also MUST Purchase the Two new Mazda all NEW Parts second and third.
The TK78-66-9U0C Aux Hub Module.
And the TWO new Data Cable SET (see Part Numbers in READ-ME Warning .txt) in Server.

Without these TWO ALL NEW GENUINE MAZDA PARTS Installed CP/AA will NEVER work.....Period.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those interested..

For the USA/North America, FACTORY INSTALLED (as an option) CP/AA started from September 1st Production Line....for 2019 Model Years.
Confirmed for 2019..
CX-9
CX-3
Mazda 6

So IF your CX-9 is a 2018 Model Year or Below, YOU MUST BUY these new Parts and Install....NOTHING you have in your car right now will work without these all new parts as replacements.

For USA, the only 'Free' Kit install done by Mazda Dealers is the 2018 Mazda 6, AFAIK no other model will get this upgrade for free.
$199 USD is the MSRP plus Fitting, Mazda allocates Dealers 1.5 hours to install.

Last edited:
Wow, all this time I thought it would be a simple firmware update to get AA/AC just like they do updates each oil change I go in for.

Didn't realize new hardware would be needed at cost. I guess through 2018 Mazda didn't know exactly what would be needed to run it otherwise I would think they would have shipped cars ready for an easy software update.

$200? Not excited about the cost but I'll likely pay it for the ease of having Android Auto. I often use my phone for navigation because it's vastly easier to input destinations.

Well, considering installing a third party carplay unit to a different car is 200+ for installation labor alone (just installing and keeping all button functions intact.. was even more for some cases), I think as soon as I hear it is available for 2018 cx9, I am all for it. These days not having proper navigation is forcing me to put the phone down on the bottom compartment and using that... can't wait.

anybody have an eta on when dealers will have and be able to install 2018 cx9 retrofit kits? I am in the US

Yup it was a selling point my sister and I made them put in writing to make sure the upgrade is free for her CX5 and my CX9, they are a great dealer. As long as we do the maintenance there too we get free tires for life :D

hey if you don't mind, can you let me know what dealer you are working with? I live in ny and might take the trip down there sometime if they are willing to foot the bill for me as well haha...

$200? Not excited about the cost but I'll likely pay it for the ease of having Android Auto. I often use my phone for navigation because it's vastly easier to input destinations.

It's $200 plus labor I believe, estimated at 1.5 hours. Another side bonus to getting this done is having a USB port in the armrest that can actually charge something.

hey if you don't mind, can you let me know what dealer you are working with? I live in ny and might take the trip down there sometime if they are willing to foot the bill for me as well haha...

I highly doubt they would, each dealer is unique in that they all have their own "selling points" and benefits so because you didn't buy your car there i doubt they would offer the upgrade for free for you lol

Well, considering installing a third party carplay unit to a different car is 200+ for installation labor alone (just installing and keeping all button functions intact.. was even more for some cases), I think as soon as I hear it is available for 2018 cx9, I am all for it. These days not having proper navigation is forcing me to put the phone down on the bottom compartment and using that... can't wait.

anybody have an eta on when dealers will have and be able to install 2018 cx9 retrofit kits? I am in the US

End of this month at mine

More details on Canadian pricing and availability. It sucks that we don't get it with the Mazda CX-6 at the discounted price.

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20180913/auto-tech-mazda-catches-up-on-infotainment/

At first, only 2018 Mazda6 and 2019 CX-3 owners will be able to request the upgrade. This is because these changes are a mid-model-year update in these two cars and the company doesn*t want buyers to feel they made a mistake by being early adopters. For these owners, the upgrade can be installed by a dealer at a promotional price of $250 until February 28, 2019.

Once initial demand on these models has been filled, the upgrade will become available to the owners of other MazdaConnect-enabled vehicles, which includes these model years and later: 2014 Mazda3; 2016 Mazda6, MX-5, CX-3, CX-5, and CX-9; and 2017 MX-5 RF. It will cost $445 to complete the necessary updates on older vehicles, which include the new USB port, upgraded wiring, software upgrades, and 1.4 hours of dealership labour.

Mazda will be monitoring demand on the first two eligible models to ensure that the company can consistently keep up. More precise dates for when appointment bookings will open up to older models will be announced at a later date * ideally, the company says, toward the end of this year.

Last edited:
You're forgetting one thing - Apple Car Play. ACP requires some proprietary licensing components to run. That, paired with the upgraded USB hub to allow you to charge while using AA/ACP is where the extra cost comes from (not sure if labour would be included in that figure). In addition to that, if you perform this dealer-installed upgrade, you get full support from the dealer for any ACP/AA related issues. If you DIY, you're on your own.

Also, you can still do the AIO tweak, as others have figured out how to access the CMU serial port to flash the firmware. Nothing's stopping you from going that route, as long as you're okay with troubleshooting any issues that may arise from the install.

Respectfully, I'm not forgetting anything :)

I don't use an Apple phone, so I could care less about having the hardware available for it. And I'm fairly certain that my phone (slow) charges on the existing ports.

It worked, they broke it, and now they want to charge another few hundred dollars to make it work again.

And thank you, but I'm not interested in ripping out my dash and hardwiring something into my car that is only necessary because Mazda decided to make it so.

I would be thrilled if they came out and said they are enabling AA via firmware update for free. But instead, they are looking to charge me a couple hundred bucks for hardware I don't need.

It's stupid on their part and, for me, the last real straw with Mazda. If I could get out of mine without a several thousand dollar hit, I would.

Respectfully, I'm not forgetting anything :)

I don't use an Apple phone, so I could care less about having the hardware available for it. And I'm fairly certain that my phone (slow) charges on the existing ports.

It worked, they broke it, and now they want to charge another few hundred dollars to make it work again.

And thank you, but I'm not interested in ripping out my dash and hardwiring something into my car that is only necessary because Mazda decided to make it so.

I would be thrilled if they came out and said they are enabling AA via firmware update for free. But instead, they are looking to charge me a couple hundred bucks for hardware I don't need.

It's stupid on their part and, for me, the last real straw with Mazda. If I could get out of mine without a several thousand dollar hit, I would.

I thought I explained it well enough, but I guess I didn't.

The demand was for Mazda to provide Android Auto AND Apple Car Play, not one or the other. If they only supported one, those who wanted the other would feel alienated, and it would become this big political thing about why Mazda only supports one or the other. I think that's why Mazda chose to make sure they could get both AA and ACP integrated.

AA does not require any additional hardware to function. It's the reason why those who installed AIO Tweaks were able to get AA, but not ACP. ACP requires some sort of proprietary licensing component in order to work. Therefore, even if you're not using ACP, you still have to pay that extra cost because Mazda chose to make both AA and ACP available.

Sorry you feel that way about your car and the brand. I'd suggest voicing your concerns to MNAO and your dealer to see if they can help you out with the cost/install.

Wondering if anyone did a self-installed on the Aux and cable who has any tips about the install. Planning to do it this weekend.

I thought I explained it well enough, but I guess I didn't.

The demand was for Mazda to provide Android Auto AND Apple Car Play, not one or the other. If they only supported one, those who wanted the other would feel alienated, and it would become this big political thing about why Mazda only supports one or the other. I think that's why Mazda chose to make sure they could get both AA and ACP integrated.

AA does not require any additional hardware to function. It's the reason why those who installed AIO Tweaks were able to get AA, but not ACP. ACP requires some sort of proprietary licensing component in order to work. Therefore, even if you're not using ACP, you still have to pay that extra cost because Mazda chose to make both AA and ACP available.

Sorry you feel that way about your car and the brand. I'd suggest voicing your concerns to MNAO and your dealer to see if they can help you out with the cost/install.

I'm still not clear why I should have to pay for capability that I know, for a fact, that Mazda can enable for $0.

If Mazda wants to make the offer for ACP and fast charge for some amount of money, great. But I know they killed the capability and now want to charge for it.

FWIW, this is no my only issue with Mazda. I've had an ongoing, unidentified cabin noise issue that has plagued this car for nearly a year and 13,000 miles. I've had it at the dealer 3 times, and was involved with MNAO and the regional rep. They heard the noise, told me it was not normal and then refused to do anything about it.

They could have solved that problem for a set of new tires, as that is probably the root cause of the issue. It could also be related to the fact that the car was delivered MASSIVELY out of alignment and with tires inflated to nearly 60 PSI. Grabbing a set of Falkens would probably have run them a couple hundred dollars and would have made me a happy customer. Instead I got freedom rockets.

I love so much about this car, but they have managed to entirely destroy the relationship.

Contacted my dealer 2 different times here in CA North , been told only the 6 will have it for now but will update me once they hear anything. (headshake

Contacted my dealer 2 different times here in CA North , been told only the 6 will have it for now but will update me once they hear anything. (headshake
Same here in Indiana. The dealer tells me that even they don't know at this time if there will be a charge for updating older vehicles. They are considering sending an email blast out to all their customers to make them aware once the update is available.

I decided to pull the trigger and ordered parts from prioritymazdaparts.com (~$175 shipped USPS priority mail). Physical install steps took me about 2 hours because I made a few small, correctable mistakes that could have been avoided by reading the directions more closely. But all in all, it was not too bad!

AA and CP both work. I had been using AA from AIO-tweaks, and the native one so far seems to be a bit better. I think that the display is sharper, and so far the navigation steps seem smoother. No skipping in music, which I was getting occasionally while moving around the maps screen with AIO. The console controls are better on the native app, too, but on the downside there is no touch.

So I think on the whole I'm happier with the Mazda native AA app than the AIO one. Plus now I should have fast charging on the front USB port -- I had been using a long cable from the back console in the times I really needed the power (e.g., running a wifi hotspot and navigating).

I decided to pull the trigger and ordered parts from prioritymazdaparts.com (~$175 shipped USPS priority mail). Physical install steps took me about 2 hours because I made a few small, correctable mistakes that could have been avoided by reading the directions more closely. But all in all, it was not too bad!

AA and CP both work. I had been using AA from AIO-tweaks, and the native one so far seems to be a bit better. I think that the display is sharper, and so far the navigation steps seem smoother. No skipping in music, which I was getting occasionally while moving around the maps screen with AIO. The console controls are better on the native app, too, but on the downside there is no touch.

So I think on the whole I'm happier with the Mazda native AA app than the AIO one. Plus now I should have fast charging on the front USB port -- I had been using a long cable from the back console in the times I really needed the power (e.g., running a wifi hotspot and navigating).

Can you tell me what are the parts I should get? Are the detailed instructions pretty self explanatory, or is it only for experts? Also, will this void the CPO warranty I have with this car?

thanks.

Installed it this morning on CX-9 2018. Every part is pretty easy except the hardest part is packing the cable in the console next to the passenger seat. Also, the clip on the rear AC wire is hard to remove. I'm happy to offer tips if any of you need some, just PM me.

Back