Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to be available as retrofit this fall

Donated: $25

2016 CX-5 GT, 2017 CX-9 GT

Agreed! While it wasn't a deal breaker, I did buy the car with the expectation that soon enough Android Auto would become available. Having used it a couple of times in rental cars, it's a much more convenient feature, especially for uploading customized navigation to the car. Patiently waiting.....

Registered Member

Suzuki SX4

Another confirmation (albeit Australia)...

https://www.motoring.com.au/mazda-to...d-auto-113364/

Mazda to roll out Apple CarPlay, Android Auto
    Australia’s number two vehicle brand finally embraces smartphone mirroring tech

Mazda Australia has announced it will finally rollout Apple CarPlay and Android Auto technology across its entire vehicle range by the end of this year.

However, the catch is it will be an extra-cost dealer-fit option – pricing for which is yet to be confirmed – for all existing models including the all-new seven-seat CX-8 diesel SUV launched this week.

The exception is the facelifted Mazda BT-50 ute line-up launched last month, which is the first Mazda model to come standard with the popular smartphone mirroring feature that’s now widespread across the new-vehicle market.

That said, Mazda says Apple CarPlay and Android Auto will be fitted as standard in all new models launched from now on.

That’s likely to include upgraded versions of the CX-3, CX-9 and MX-5 due on sale in September, leaving only the CX-5 and Mazda6 (both of which were facelifted last month), plus the CX-8, Mazda2 and Mazda3 (which will be replaced next year) without the functionality as standard for now.

Mazda says all of its vehicles sold since 2014 and fitted with the company’s MZD Connect infotainment system are compatible with the Apple and Android smartphone projection system retro-fit, which involves both new software and hardware.

“We will start rolling this technology out on other new Mazda models [beyond BT-50] before the end of the year,” said Mazda Australia marketing director, Alastair Doak.

“Mazda Australia will offer, by year’s end, an Apple CarPlay and Android Auto upgrade kit, which will work seamlessly with the MZD Connect system. It will be available for all customers with an MZD Connect system that first went on sale with Mazda 3 in early 2014.

“A customer buying a CX-8 or any other car will be able to have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto in their vehicle before the end of the year. We haven’t figured out the price yet — we are just working through that now,” he said.

Mazda acknowledges it is late to the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto party and confirmed it sought customer feedback on the technology as part of its local CX-8 market research.

But it claims it has not lost any customers due to its unavailability in models like the brand’s volume-selling Mazda3 or the CX-5, which remains Australia’s most popular SUV.

“It is something that is there and you need to move with the market. Are we seeing people walk out of dealerships because we don’t have it? No,” said Doak.

95 Miata, 14 CX5 Touring FWD, 18 CX9 GT FWD

This further confirms my suspicion that this will be an extra cost upgrade.

My question is...If true, how much are you guys willing to pay to get Android Auto and Apple Carplay in your car?

I'm curious to know how much Mazda would charge.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9

If it's less than 500 I will let them install it. If more, I will wait for the parts and do a self-install. Does not look like something I can't do in an afternoon.

2016 CX-5AWD GT+Tech/ 2018 CX-9AWD GT

Quote Originally Posted by deepfriedsushi View Post
    This further confirms my suspicion that this will be an extra cost upgrade.

My question is...If true, how much are you guys willing to pay to get Android Auto and Apple Carplay in your car?

I'm curious to know how much Mazda would charge.
    I'm not sure really, everything needs to feel reasonable to me. If the hard costs are too high, I might pass and if the labor costs are too high, I might do like MPCX and just buy the components and install them myself. I'm comfortable flashing the firmware, so I'm sure I could do it in an afternoon as well.

Sort story, "a couple hundred" would be ok.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring

My guess was going to be $300. If there is a hardware only, self install route I'd do that.

Donated: $25

2016 CX-5 GT, 2017 CX-9 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Srad600 View Post
    I'm not sure really, everything needs to feel reasonable to me. If the hard costs are too high, I might pass and if the labor costs are too high, I might do like MPCX and just buy the components and install them myself. I'm comfortable flashing the firmware, so I'm sure I could do it in an afternoon as well.

Sort story, "a couple hundred" would be ok.
    For both cars?

Quote Originally Posted by SK77X View Post
    For both cars?
    I'm not sure I'd do both, I suppose I'll see how well the first installation goes then maybe I'll do the second later if it seems worthwhile?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to be available as retrofit this fall

Looks like someone on the Mazda3 site already found the part numbers and ordered /installed both the AA/CP harness and the Aux unit in a new Miata. The reported cost (including shipping) was $163, and about an hour to install. (boom05) That sounds good! Although I'm sure Mazda will try to double that cost.

Oh, and the parts this guy ordered are all OEM upgrade bits from Mazda.

See post #82 in this thread. https://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...llation-9.html
    Last edited by Srad600; 07-07-2018 at 03:15 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2017 Crystal Mica Blue GT CX9

Looks like someone on the Mazda3 site already found the part numbers and ordered /installed both the AA/CP harness and the Aux unit in a new Miata. The reported cost (including shipping) was $163, and about an hour to install. (boom05) That sounds good! Although I'm sure Mazda will try to double that cost.

Oh, and the parts this guy ordered are all OEM upgrade bits from Mazda.

See post #82 in this thread. https://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...llation-9.html
    Very nice, this looks promising. What I am more interesting in is whether the change in hardware also brings with it improvement in output to at least 2 Amps. The current rating on the front ports is mediocre from the factory, to say the least. I imagine this was one of the baselines limiting compatibility since AA runs off the device.

Quote Originally Posted by aleki2424 View Post
    Very nice, this looks promising. What I am more interesting in is whether the change in hardware also brings with it improvement in output to at least 2 Amps. The current rating on the front ports is mediocre from the factory, to say the least. I imagine this was one of the baselines limiting compatibility since AA runs off the device.
    Well according to the guy who did the install, his charging rate went from 320mA to 1030mA. An improvement but, still needs a bit of work.

Also, mazda has finally set a date for the release of AA/CP! August 6, 2018 according to the Mazda press website.

https://www.mazda-press.com/eu/news/...-mzd-connect-/

And they've clarified that it is available for ALL mazda connect equipped vehicles. Sounds like they are finally getting to work.Now I just want to see what their price structure looks like.

2016 CX-9 Signature Machine Gray / 2018 MX-5 GT Machine Gray

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to be available as retrofit this fall

Well according to the guy who did the install, his charging rate went from 320mA to 1030mA. An improvement but, still needs a bit of work.

Also, mazda has finally set a date for the release of AA/CP! August 6, 2018 according to the Mazda press website.

https://www.mazda-press.com/eu/news/...-mzd-connect-/

And they've clarified that it is available for ALL mazda connect equipped vehicles. Sounds like they are finally getting to work.Now I just want to see what their price structure looks like.
    Note that’s a Mazda Europe press release. As far as I know, no official US announcement yet. I read on another forum that it looked like it would be 220€ plus labor over there (~$250 + labor USD).

It’s definitely nice to know there’s finally some new developments on this. Hopefully the US announcement is soon to follow.
    Last edited by phxzoom; 07-12-2018 at 05:44 PM.

Bummer, but yeah, hopefully the US announcement is pending. Wow that price is 1.5X the actual cost of the parts...that sux.

2016 CX-9 Signature Machine Gray / 2018 MX-5 GT Machine Gray

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by phxzoom View Post
    So ridiculous.

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast