Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

Throwing my 2 cents in on this endless thread. Dropped off my car at dealer this morning, in talking w/ the service rep, they said they hadn't heard of an "official" start date for the retrofit, but their honest opinion would be that it probably won't happen until early next year

Just finished the install of the firmware (70.00.100A),CP Hub and wires on the CX-9. Total install took about 1:50, but I had just done it in my wife's CX-5 a few weeks back (and it was much easier in this car). Only PITA was snaking the wires to the HUB, took three tries but got it eventually. While I was in that mode, I went ahead and upgraded the CX-5 from 70.00.021B to 70.00.100A and reinstalled her tweaks. I have to admit I'm a bit jealous of her ability to use the touch screen while moving. I need serial access to my CMU to make that happen and I can't justify buying a laptop just for that.

Just finished the install of the firmware (70.00.100A),CP Hub and wires on the CX-9. Total install took about 1:50, but I had just done it in my wife's CX-5 a few weeks back (and it was much easier in this car). Only PITA was snaking the wires to the HUB, took three tries but got it eventually. While I was in that mode, I went ahead and upgraded the CX-5 from 70.00.021B to 70.00.100A and reinstalled her tweaks. I have to admit I'm a bit jealous of her ability to use the touch screen while moving. I need serial access to my CMU to make that happen and I can't justify buying a laptop just for that.

thanks for your input. One question- is there a site elsewhere that talks about how to actually do that update? thank you!

thanks for your input. One question- is there a site elsewhere that talks about how to actually do that update? thank you!

See post #123 of this thread. There's pretty explicit instructions as well as links to files with the OEM directions for installation.

Hello, Just got a 2018 CX-9 Touring and was looking forward to adding Android Auto, but I have had no luck buying the 0000-8F-Z34 part. I placed the order through MazdaNY and it got canceled. I was wondering if doing the AIO Tweak on a CX-9 with versions 59.0.0546 possible? or am I better off waitig on Mazda official release? Thanks!

Hello, Just got a 2018 CX-9 Touring and was looking forward to adding Android Auto, but I have had no luck buying the 0000-8F-Z34 part. I placed the order through MazdaNY and it got canceled. I was wondering if doing the AIO Tweak on a CX-9 with versions 59.0.0546 possible? or am I better off waitig on Mazda official release? Thanks!

You can do AIO on 59.00.546, but youll have to do the serial hack. More information and instructions on the AIO website.

I did the CP/AA upgrade and the serial hack at the same time because youd have to take the CMU apart for both. There are more vendors out there. I got mine from priority mazda. Lots of people has gotten the parts from them. A bunch other from mazda swag. Just be sure to leave the VIN box blank when ordering.

The mazda3 revolution website also has tons and tons of information and guidance on this. All mazda connect systems are the same, regardless of the model.

You can do AIO on 59.00.546, but youll have to do the serial hack. More information and instructions on the AIO website.

I did the CP/AA upgrade and the serial hack at the same time because youd have to take the CMU apart for both. There are more vendors out there. I got mine from priority mazda. Lots of people has gotten the parts from them. A bunch other from mazda swag. Just be sure to leave the VIN box blank when ordering.

The mazda3 revolution website also has tons and tons of information and guidance on this. All mazda connect systems are the same, regardless of the model.

Thanks for the info! Going to order the part from somewhere else. For the serial hack do you recommend using the hardware that's listed on the MazdaTweaks? Which is https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) and https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) thanks

Those are the ones I used.

Great, I should be receiving them tomorrow. Now if I understand correctly the 2018 CX-9 seems to be easier as the screen unscrews from the two screws behind it? Then I just have to pull it up and remove the rest of the screws to reveal and pull out the CMU? Does this sound about right? As I don't see much information in the 2018 CX-9. Thanks again.

Great, I should be receiving them tomorrow. Now if I understand correctly the 2018 CX-9 seems to be easier as the screen unscrews from the two screws behind it? Then I just have to pull it up and remove the rest of the screws to reveal and pull out the CMU? Does this sound about right? As I don't see much information in the 2018 CX-9. Thanks again.

I believe my 2016 was the same. There are official mazda tear down instructions in that hidrive that has been posted here. Not sure if you got a chance to look at those.

Local dealer told me my 17 Gt would get Apple car play for free later next year, glad I called about this before doing it myself and spending money.

I believe my 2016 was the same. There are official mazda tear down instructions in that hidrive that has been posted here. Not sure if you got a chance to look at those.

Thank you! So I took everything apart yesterday it was very easy. I then hooked up the GROUND cable to the recommended screw on the CMU then I plugged in the male ends of the jumper cable into Rx/TX but I never saw any text scrolliing by (which tutorial states I should see even if car is off) and putty would just stay trying load connection (had the correct Com port and baud). So I thought maybe the male connectors on the wires were not making good contact so I stripped the black part off and just put it in each port/hole for RX/TX. That still did not work, but stripping the wires caused my CP2102 to get very hot and now its not detectable when plugged in to the pc instead it just gets hot with no lights. Any recommendations? Also know of any physical stores that would sell a CP2102? versus waiting to get another one from amazin :( Thanks!

Thank you! So I took everything apart yesterday it was very easy. I then hooked up the GROUND cable to the recommended screw on the CMU then I plugged in the male ends of the jumper cable into Rx/TX but I never saw any text scrolliing by (which tutorial states I should see even if car is off) and putty would just stay trying load connection (had the correct Com port and baud). So I thought maybe the male connectors on the wires were not making good contact so I stripped the black part off and just put it in each port/hole for RX/TX. That still did not work, but stripping the wires caused my CP2102 to get very hot and now its not detectable when plugged in to the pc instead it just gets hot with no lights. Any recommendations? Also know of any physical stores that would sell a CP2102? versus waiting to get another one from amazin :( Thanks!

If everything else was set up correctly... then perhaps you got a defective CP2102??? Amazon will probably send you another one if you let them know that the one you got didnt work and how disappointed you are. No clue where to get one locally.

Local dealer told me my 17 Gt would get Apple car play for free later next year, glad I called about this before doing it myself and spending money.

Wonder what they meant by later next year...

Note that theres lots of conflicting information out there. A couple months back a dealer told me 2016 and 2017 touring trims and above would be made available at a discount and only 2018 touring trims and above would be free, per what the Mazda rep had told them. Some other dealers are completely clueless and dont even know what this retrofitting process is about. Truth is no one really knows but Mazda NA, and we need to wait for official news about how theyll be rolling this out for the CX-9.

Wish Im wrong and you do end up getting it for free (mainly cause that would probably mean that Ill also get it for free in our Miata [emoji6]), but I do doubt that theyll make it available free for any 2017 or older vehicles.

Having said that... to me, this is worth much much more than the ~$200 DIY investment. Not only you get CP/AA with a much improved interface over Mazdas, but you also get a stronger USB charging source. So I guess it comes down to how bad do you want it. This had been high in our checklist even before buying our CX-9 in 2016, so I didnt hesitate to install it as soon as I could put the order in. And the only reason I havent spent this money on the Miata is because thats our fun car and not a daily driver. Im holding out for official release news on that one... but Ill probably wont wait much longer.

Wonder what they meant by *later next year*...

Note that there*s lots of conflicting information out there. A couple months back a dealer told me 2016 and 2017 touring trims and above would be made available at a *discount* and only 2018 touring trims and above would be free, per *what the Mazda rep had told them*. Some other dealers are completely clueless and don*t even know what this retrofitting process is about. Truth is no one really knows but Mazda NA, and we need to wait for official news about how they*ll be rolling this out for the CX-9.

Wish I*m wrong and you do end up getting it for free (mainly cause that would probably mean that I*ll also get it for free in our Miata [emoji6]), but I do doubt that they*ll make it available free for any 2017 or older vehicles.

Having said that... to me, this is worth much much more than the ~$200 DIY investment. Not only you get CP/AA with a much improved interface over Mazda*s, but you also get a stronger USB charging source. So I guess it comes down to how bad do you want it. This had been high in our checklist even before buying our CX-9 in 2016, so I didn*t hesitate to install it as soon as I could put the order in. And the only reason I haven*t spent this money on the Miata is because that*s our fun car and not a daily driver. I*m holding out for official release news on that one... but I*ll probably won*t wait much longer.

i honestly don*t care if I get it or not as it*s my wife*s car. Just mentioning what I was told at my last oil change.

Looks like Mazda Canada has made it now available for all vehicles that support it with same cost across the board.

Apple Carplay and Android Auto**

Part #: 0000-8F-Z34

Requires Installation: Yes

Category: Technology

Description: Your Mazda was crafted to bring out your love of driving, from engineering that is seamlessly responsive to a humancentric interior that enables intuitive driving. The new Apple CarPlay and Android Auto* accessory brings it all together in harmony with your MAZDA CONNECT infotainment system making staying informed and entertained effortless while you experience an unparalleled sense of connection to the road and uniquely inspired driving. Applicable for vehicles produced prior to September 1st, 2018. Ask your dealer for more details.

Price:$299.00
Install:$132.00
Quantity:1

Total:$431.00
Installation Included *

For those that have android auto/car play installed, when using NAV application like Waze, does it display the direction on the HUD?

Back