Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

I can say the same thing about myself. My first real Mazda. I have driven (rent/loaned) a few before but never paid for one. My brother in-law has a '16 Mazda 6 GT so i have some direct observation over his car.
We have Lexus and Toyota in the family today, and an old 1994 Mazda B4000 truck, yes another Mazda, but it is 90% Ford Ranger. :)
Prior to current Toyota/Lexus cars, we had a plug-in Prius, Acura TSX and Acura RL sw-awd, Nissan Maxima...older Audis, Ford and a Corolla.
I enjoy cars, different cars from all sizes, brands, shapes, hp, price range, etc. I also love to work on cars ...from basic maintenance (oil, belts, brakes) to tuning, rebuilt and upgrades.

I am not downplaying the CX-9, i am just being 100% realistic about its weaknesses and strengths and also what else is out there. The list of cars i drove before i bought the CX-9 is very long. It was a 5 months process for me. I drove everything from Toyota Highlander Limited, to Lexus RX450h, to Porsche Cayenne TDI, Audi Q7 TDI, Acura MDX, Hyundai Santa Fe Limited, Buick Enclave, BMW X5 diesel, Benz ML350 bluetec, VW Atlas... and the list goes on and on. Some of the cars were brand new, some were certified pre-owned.
My last car was a fully loaded 2012 Audi S4, Stage 2 tuned. I loved that car. It had close to 100k miles when i sold it but was solid as a rock, yet it was pushing 450+hp with no effort. Why i sold it? Well... 3 kids under the age of 8 cannot fit in Audi S4. Not even in Audi A6/S6. I drive my kids to school and activities almost every other day, so the small rear seat in the S4 was becoming a real issue for the family.

The CX-9 Signature won my business at the end of the day. I test drove it 3 or 4 times. Clearly i liked the car. I needed the rear seat room and decent handling/fun to drive factor + AWD. I also wanted decent MPG, given the amount of miles i put on my cars per year. The price and full warranty were also a factor. At the end of the day, it was a good compromise and so far - i like it. I miss my old S4 but i do enjoy driving the CX-9 a lot. I am also convinced now that it is far from perfect and i find myself wishing it had a few extra things.
Impressive decision. I have a dual pulley S4 and decided to go to a three car house instead of losing my fun car.

For those constantly bitchin about your CX-9, you might consider doing yourself and family a favor: BUY ANOTHER CAR.

It's not an Owner's Forum without complaints about whatever car the forum is for.

And if you are 100% satisfied with your car, with no complaints, nothing you would change, and no desire to add features your car lacks, the kudos to you.

I don't see anyone here bitching about the CX-9. We are mostly talking about all the good and some of the bad that comes with it...and the fact that it is not perfect. Nothing else, nothing more.
And yes, some of us are not happy with the decisions Mazda has made around AA/ACP. Are we all supposed to stay quiet about it and not express some disappointment?? Why?

Sometimes I'll ask myself, "Do I wanna be right or do I wanna be happy?"

So we are comparing the CX-9 to Porsches, Jags and Lambos now? (uhm)

How do get that from my post?

It was merely a point stating that there are SUVs/crossovers that shoot for very different purposes. A Porsche SUV may be priced in line with a Range Rover but both have different reasons to exist. The Porsche isn't designed to beat a RR off road but do people then criticize Porsche for their lack of off road ability or it's lack of space as an SUV? And why doesn't the RR corner like the Porsche. Is one better than the other? Depends who you ask.

Constantly talking about the CX-9's "shortcomings" miss the entire point of its intent.

Wow...this thread has suddenly become a debate/gripe session! Just like a few months ago caused by certain individuals that went off-topic and started with debates that turned into attacks...unfortunately this type of discussion just turns me off and probably some other people. I know we're all passionate about our Mazdas but come on folks let's stick to the real topic and try to be as informative as possible. I'm sure we can all agree to disagree...no?!

Imagine this scenario ... after years of one-sided political bantering on Assbook, a guy has an epiphany. "Hey... the opposition has a point there.... Wow! That's it, I'm now changing political parties."

Never gonna happen.

Imagine this scenario ... after years of one-sided political bantering on Assbook, a guy has an epiphany. "Hey... the opposition has a point there.... Wow! That's it, I'm now changing political parties."

Never gonna happen.

Yup...wishful thinking...but there was a thread that was similar that got out of hand and guess what? Moderator stepped in and shut the thread down! Try to keep the discussion as relevant as possible is all I was asking for as this thread could soon face the same fate!

If you look at the newly redesigned RAV4, it only has Apple Car Play, no Android Auto - anyone care to ask Toyota why they did that???

There isn't any vehicle out there that has everything you want - I'd say the CX-9 was the best combo of what I wanted within the budget I wanted to spend.. I'd love to get an '18 to get the additional features? sure! But then I'd want the '19 for more additional features...

I will say that I tried Android auto on a rental and I didn't like it at all. Now granted, it was a Chevy sedan, and their tech seems very blah

If you look at the newly redesigned RAV4, it only has Apple Car Play, no Android Auto - anyone care to ask Toyota why they did that???

There isn't any vehicle out there that has everything you want - I'd say the CX-9 was the best combo of what I wanted within the budget I wanted to spend.. I'd love to get an '18 to get the additional features? sure! But then I'd want the '19 for more additional features...

I will say that I tried Android auto on a rental and I didn't like it at all. Now granted, it was a Chevy sedan, and their tech seems very blah

Best "combo" of what you wanted? That just can't be. You are supposed to ONLY want the CX-9 because it drives like a Mazda. You can't want other features--if you do, you just shouldn't be driving the CX-9. ..... At least, that's what I read...somewhere..... (dunno)

Best "combo" of what you wanted? That just can't be. You are supposed to ONLY want the CX-9 because it drives like a Mazda. You can't want other features--if you do, you just shouldn't be driving the CX-9. ..... At least, that's what I read...somewhere..... (dunno)

You seem to misinterpret everything.

I see the point that most people are trying to make here. It's that the CX-9's infotainment is it's point of failure (in terms of features, specifically the lack of AA/ACP). We need to take a step back and realize that it could always be better. If it did come with AA/ACP, people would complain about the audio system. If it had a great audio system, people would complain about the lack of a panoramic sunroof. If it had the panoramic roof, people would complain about the lack of a 360-degree camera, and so on and so forth. It can always be improved upon.

I'm happy with the package that the CX-9 provides, and while I recognize that it can be improved in certain areas, I'd rather enjoy it than keep looking for things to complain about.

Constantly talking about the CX-9's "shortcomings" miss the entire point of its intent.

This thread was very specific. AA/ AC deployment. Unless I missed something, I am not sure why you are implying there's a trend of moaning about Mazda's shortcomings or that our priorities are misguided for wanting this feature. Personally, it is something I would have appreciated having. Clearly not a requirement, as I bought my CX-9.

The overt vagueness, poor communication and misinformation is what I particularly take issue with. You have presented Mazda as a niche OEM with unique requirements, which may be true, but it doesn't explain/ excuse any of the above. AA/ AC has been a relevant ask from people for a while now.

Like everything in this country we always have to take it to the extreme lol. I love the way my CX-9 drives, it I cant say Im 100% happy with the driving experience. Infotainment is a big deal. If youre not going to provide AA/ACP at least provide a system thats reliable and functional. Whoever said that this system is better than youre smoking something. My wifes bmw doesnt have aa/acp but the infotainment system works! Its fast. Refined. Nissans rogue system connects to Bluetooth instantly. Fords sync can search online. Mazda lags in every aspect. They excel at having nice controls. But what are nice controls if the software and hardware are crap? Youre telling me our system isnt slow? It doesnt have bugs? Youre telling me youre happy getting in your car and the infotainment system screen going black or rebooting mid navigation is acceptable?
And by the way, Ive driven a Ford Explorer, youre blowing things are of proportion. Yes, the interior isnt as nice, but the car has its own nice features that the cx9 doesnt have. Seats werent an issue for me and I drove for hours in it.

This thread was very specific. AA/ AC deployment. Unless I missed something, I am not sure why you are implying there's a trend of moaning about Mazda's shortcomings or that our priorities are misguided for wanting this feature. Personally, it is something I would have appreciated having. Clearly not a requirement, as I bought my CX-9.

The overt vagueness, poor communication and misinformation is what I particularly take issue with. You have presented Mazda as a niche OEM with unique requirements, which may be true, but it doesn't explain/ excuse any of the above. AA/ AC has been a relevant ask from people for a while now.

Yes, the thread topic is AA / AC but it went off the rails and I responded to the usual talk about all the so called things missing from Mazda's and the CX-9.

If people must have such integration, fine and dandy. I'm just saying that they are now prioritizing entertainment shortcuts over the car. I prefer to prioritize the car.

It's also the attitude that Mazda is the only one sitting on the sidelines regarding AA/AC. Numerous brands only offer one or the other. The world's largest automaker has just decided to implement it them. Nissan, one of the largest automakers doesn't have Android Auto. Android is 90% of the market. BMW doesn't either. Where's the outrage?

Like everything in this country we always have to take it to the extreme lol. I love the way my CX-9 drives, it I cant say Im 100% happy with the driving experience. Infotainment is a big deal. If youre not going to provide AA/ACP at least provide a system thats reliable and functional. Whoever said that this system is better than youre smoking something. My wifes bmw doesnt have aa/acp but the infotainment system works! Its fast. Refined. Nissans rogue system connects to Bluetooth instantly. Fords sync can search online. Mazda lags in every aspect. They excel at having nice controls. But what are nice controls if the software and hardware are crap? Youre telling me our system isnt slow? It doesnt have bugs? Youre telling me youre happy getting in your car and the infotainment system screen going black or rebooting mid navigation is acceptable?
And by the way, Ive driven a Ford Explorer, youre blowing things are of proportion. Yes, the interior isnt as nice, but the car has its own nice features that the cx9 doesnt have. Seats werent an issue for me and I drove for hours in it.

Maybe it's a 2016 thing. My screen has never gone black, rebooted, or had any issue. Connects to Bluetooth in under 10 seconds uoon startup. Would I like it to be 1 second, sure but while I'm often in a hurry, the extra 8 seconds isn't something to concern myself with. Plus, I only connect my phone's music source here and there. I usually listen to Sirius/XM radio that starts up in 2 seconds.

Personally, I love the system. Does every thing I need it to do except one nice feature I'd like and that is to mirror Google Maps though AA since there's nothing that beats their mapping/navigation/search/info system.

I didn't overstate anything regarding the Explorer. Due the seats, I almost couldn't drive it. Everything else is so true. Feels like a hollow tin can compared to the CX-9.

Infotainment should have nothing to do with the buying decision process. If it does, you don't like cars. You are one who can't wait until self driving cars come along in which you can just stare at your phone the whole time. Unless it came down to an exact 50/50 decision between 2 cars and the only tie breaker in one's view was infotainment.

While one wonders why Mazda doesn't have it yet, I wonder why CX-9 competitors look and feel $10K cheaper. No AC/AA doesn't even enter my mind when I continue to be amazed at how brilliant the vehicle is. Have you sat in an Explorer, for example. Complete pile of garbage in comparison. I feel bad for all the sheep that buy it.

Yes, the thread topic is AA / AC but it went off the rails and I responded to the usual talk about all the so called things missing from Mazda's and the CX-9.

If people must have such integration, fine and dandy. I'm just saying that they are now prioritizing entertainment shortcuts over the car. I prefer to prioritize the car.

It's also the attitude that Mazda is the only one sitting on the sidelines regarding AA/AC. Numerous brands only offer one or the other. The world's largest automaker has just decided to implement it them. Nissan, one of the largest automakers doesn't have Android Auto. Android is 90% of the market. BMW doesn't either. Where's the outrage?

Except that you didn't previously say that it was "fine and dandy" for others to have a different priority in their car buying purchase. You had a clear commentary as to what a buyer should prioritize; that's not exactly the same message as "Diff'rent strokes for different folks."

You can choose what aspects of a car are important to you--and that's "fine and dandy." But those "sheep" that have other priorities may decide that the CX-9 is not what's best for them.

The world's largest automaker has just decided to implement it them. Nissan, one of the largest automakers doesn't have Android Auto. Android is 90% of the market. BMW doesn't either. Where's the outrage?

I couldn't care less about what Nissan is doing. They lost my business 10 years ago. I *DO* care about Mazda, their statements, their processes, their execution, differentiation and strategy. Be as it may, this is my third Mazda, and I'll be looking to replace this one some day. As for BMW, at least they have found a way to implement Car Play so that analogy isn't completely valid either. Personally it shows they took some initiative

Maybe it's a 2016 thing. My screen has never gone black, rebooted, or had any issue.

I've had intermittent blank screen issues on my 2017 GT. I got the software update in Dec and it was OK for a while, but now it seems to have returned. The issues seem to be prevalent with folks in the Mid-West with our extended sub-40 degree weather. Mazda also knows about it, they even make you call a dedicated CS number so the dealer can get RMA for a screen replacement. I am anticipating a recall someday.

Except that you didn't previously say that it was "fine and dandy" for others to have a different priority in their car buying purchase. You had a clear commentary as to what a buyer should prioritize; that's not exactly the same message as "Diff'rent strokes for different folks."

You can choose what aspects of a car are important to you--and that's "fine and dandy." But those "sheep" that have other priorities may decide that the CX-9 is not what's best for them.

My point was that it seems one is buying phone shortcuts first, automobile second. If that's where we are in the car business, I just think it's a shame. I'm unfortunately aware that a good portion of shoppers shop in this manner. It's still my opinion that these particular people aren't into CARS. Both arguments are still true. Thing is, most people aren't really "into cars".

I couldn't care less about what Nissan is doing. They lost my business 10 years ago. I *DO* care about Mazda, their statements, their processes, their execution, differentiation and strategy. Be as it may, this is my third Mazda, and I'll be looking to replace this one some day. As for BMW, at least they have found a way to implement Car Play so that analogy isn't completely valid either. Personally it shows they took some initiative

I've had intermittent blank screen issues on my 2017 GT. I got the software update in Dec and it was OK for a while, but now it seems to have returned. The issues seem to be prevalent with folks in the Mid-West with our extended sub-40 degree weather. Mazda also knows about it, they even make you call a dedicated CS number so the dealer can get RMA for a screen replacement. I am anticipating a recall someday.

It's relevant for me to bring up what the rest of the market is doing. We have this constant Mazda bashing not only on here but all over the internet about their slow approach to implementation. Mazda is a tiny company compared to Toyota and Nissan. It should be no surprise that Mazda wouldn't have it locked in yet. I'm not here to make excuses, but to have some perspective.

Infotainment is a big deal. If youre not going to provide AA/ACP at least provide a system thats reliable and functional. Whoever said that this system is better than youre smoking something. My wifes bmw doesnt have aa/acp but the infotainment system works! Its fast. Refined. Nissans rogue system connects to Bluetooth instantly. Fords sync can search online. Mazda lags in every aspect. They excel at having nice controls. But what are nice controls if the software and hardware are crap? Youre telling me our system isnt slow? It doesnt have bugs? Youre telling me youre happy getting in your car and the infotainment system screen going black or rebooting mid navigation is acceptable?
I have yet to experience any of those symptoms or issues in my 2017 Mazda 6 (same system as your CX-9).
I don't know what your problems are, but my phone connects in a matter of seconds after I get in the car.
The Nav system boots up quickly, and has never let me down. I used it every day during my trip to Florida and back (from Canada), and it worked flawlessly.
Maybe I'm naive, or just lucky, but I like the info system in the Mazda, and it has done everything it's supposed to do.
As for AA/APC.....I could care less.

My point was that it seems one is buying phone shortcuts first, automobile second. If that's where we are in the car business, I just think it's a shame. I'm unfortunately aware that a good portion of shoppers shop in this manner. It's still my opinion that these particular people aren't into CARS. Both arguments are still true. Thing is, most people aren't really "into cars".

But I think you are oversimplifying. To your point, if "all else is equal", then let that be the deciding factor. It is never the case where all else is equal--but between CX-9, Highlander, Pilot, Santa Fe, Sorento, and whatever other competitor you want to plug in, a buyer is going to get a very good or great vehicle, especially in top of the line trim, and it may be something minor that pushes them from one car to another--including the availability of a certain color.

And a small company like Mazda has to realize and appreciate this fact.

Back