Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

No issues with updating the firmware (70.???) provided in this thread previously? Im in the states as well, just making sure.

I updated to v70 a few weeks ago and then to the .100 version today, no problems with either.

No issues with updating the firmware (70.???) provided in this thread previously? Im in the states as well, just making sure.

Are you planning on installing the new usb aux/hub unit and cables any time soon? I mean, to answer your question... yes, you're safe to update to v70x but that firmware is intended to be used specifically for the new hardware. It's not meant as a replacement or an update to v59x. Just make sure you install the North America version of the firmware and that you update to v70x BEFORE installing new usb and cable hardware. I don't think it'd brick your system if you don't replace hardware within an specific timeframe after updating firmware, but as far as I know, v70x offers no improvements over the latest v59x other than CarPlay and Android Auto capability.

does this need to happen through dealer only, or can i do that through SD card?

No dealer is installing v70x unless it's on a 2018 Mazda 6 because they still haven't officially rolled out CarPlay/Android Auto to the rest of their lineup. You can update firmware yourself using a usb flash drive and following instructions that can be found on the hidrive link provided in this thread. And there's a bunch of other documents like tear downs on that drive too...

https://my.hidrive.com/share/hsodpqja.l#$/Mazda_Firmware

Last edited:
Excellent. Yes Id do the complete install (hardware and firmware). Thanks for your feedback!

Are you planning on installing the new usb aux/hub unit and cables any time soon? I mean, to answer your question... yes, you're safe to update to v70x but that firmware is intended to be used specifically for the new hardware. It's not meant as a replacement or an update to v59x. Just make sure you install the North America version of the firmware and that you update to v70x BEFORE installing new usb and cable hardware. I don't think it'd brick your system if you don't replace hardware within an specific timeframe after updating firmware, but as far as I know, v70x offers no improvements over the latest v59x other than CarPlay and Android Auto capability.

Excellent. Yes I*d do the complete install (hardware and firmware). Thanks for your feedback!

Cool. It's a fun project which I really enjoyed. Just take your time to read up and understand guides and tear down instructions and you'll be fine. It's totally worth it.

Looking forward to it. I installed a Fortin remote start last year so this will be the last of the why didnt this thing come with these options from the factory mods! Haha

Cool. It's a fun project which I really enjoyed. Just take your time to read up and understand guides and tear down instructions and you'll be fine. It's totally worth it.

No dealer is installing v70x unless it's on a 2018 Mazda 6 because they still haven't officially rolled out CarPlay/Android Auto to the rest of their lineup. You can update firmware yourself using a usb flash drive and following instructions that can be found on the hidrive link provided in this thread. And there's a bunch of other documents like tear downs on that drive too...

https://my.hidrive.com/share/hsodpqja.l#$/Mazda_Firmware

That is awesome! Thanks for the links and the files! Started downloading now, and looking forward to getting a better feel for everything...!!!

For those looking for parts, Just a headsup, but I picked up both components from my local dealership in Oregon (no tax) for a discounted total of $159!
Dont be shy about asking your local dealers first and then very nicely ask about a AAA discount or shop discount for loyal customers if theyll sell the parts. It never hurts to ask!

For those looking for parts, Just a headsup, but I picked up both components from my local dealership in Oregon (no tax) for a discounted total of $159!
Dont be shy about asking your local dealers first and then very nicely ask about a AAA discount or shop discount for loyal customers if theyll sell the parts. It never hurts to ask!

Awesome!

Don*t be shy about asking your local dealers first and then very nicely ask about a AAA discount or *shop* discount for loyal customers if they*ll sell the parts. It never hurts to ask!

that is quite fortunate- as the dealer around my area didn't even have an idea what that was. And it also seems prioritypartsmazda requires a call now instead of ordering online..

Took my 2018 CX-9 for service today and they had installed the updated Mazda connect version 70 firmware to fix some issues. But without corresponding usb hub no android auto/car play options. Mazda Canada still has no availability info other than by end of year. Hopefully since I already have updated software under warranty, I can get dealer to install hub for reduced amount when available. The firmware does seem a lot slower to respond after starting.

Completed this last night and wanted to share my experience. Elapsed time was about 4 hours. This included sitting with the car while it upgraded the firmware. I went to the 100 version firmware with no problem. I think everyone will have their stubborn part, for me it was the rear console cover. Took about 30 minutes to get it off.
Observations/Tips:
1. Get a trim removal tool kit. If you don*t you are going to destroy your car. I got one for $15 at Advance Auto and it was perfect.
2. I used post #205 as a guide. That basically took me step by step through what I needed to remove.
3. I did not remove the shifter or anything in the center console. This really depends on how you want to route your wires. I did mine old school car stereo style and just tucked them under the passenger side console trip. You can maybe see 1 inch of cable depending on the seat position.
4. My car would not recognize a Lear 16GB USB drive. Required me to go back and use a smaller drive. A 1GB drive was recognized immediately.
5. I would definitely put some tape or something to protect the dash when you take out the CMU. There is a lot of sharp edge metal that could easily scuff/slice your dash.
6. For the rear vent removal, the Mazda guide shows taking out all kinds of stuff in the car. There are literally two little clips with a nub guide that you pop out and it takes like 3 seconds to do. Again, you want a trim removal kit that has the appropriate tool for it.
7. I tested everything before I put it back together. For the CarPlay jack to work, all three connectors must be in. I tried it with just the two USB jacks in and it didn*t work.

Edited:.... tools i needed
1. Trim Removal kit
2. 10mm socket wrench for bolts behind display unit
3. Short Phillips screwdriver for center console speaker
4. Regular Phillips screw driver for footwell trim piece
5. Some sort of scissors to clip the zip ties

Thanks to everyone on this thread who contributed to a very enjoyable DIY project.

Last edited:
I did the install on our 2017. Thanks all for the instruction and tips. It works great! The Mazda community is top notch!

So with the help of getting the local contact info from @thesenator, I ended up purchasing the kit directly from a dealer. The parts person initially quoted 257, then quoted 199.99 as a "sale price". He said then that a price of 167 is only available if I purchased a car directly from them.

As I didn't directly purchase anything from them, I ended up paying 199 for the kit. I figured this is the best deal for now, as prioritypartsmazda requires me to call with a valid vin.

I wasn't sure to go ahead and do this.. but I guess I will be going through with the retrofit install after all. I will be using this website a lot more as I go through it.

Thanks to theSenator for helping me find a dealer contact willing to sell the parts!

Glad they worked with you!
Make sure you do the firmware update before touching/removing the hardware! Once you are on the 70.??? or whatever it is you can do the cables and aux. hub.

Good luck!

So with the help of getting the local contact info from @thesenator, I ended up purchasing the kit directly from a dealer. The parts person initially quoted 257, then quoted 199.99 as a "sale price". He said then that a price of 167 is only available if I purchased a car directly from them.

As I didn't directly purchase anything from them, I ended up paying 199 for the kit. I figured this is the best deal for now, as prioritypartsmazda requires me to call with a valid vin.

I wasn't sure to go ahead and do this.. but I guess I will be going through with the retrofit install after all. I will be using this website a lot more as I go through it.

Thanks to theSenator for helping me find a dealer contact willing to sell the parts!

Just brought mine in for service; they told me that its not yet availible for the cx-9 but its a free upgrade for the 18 6 and 3's and will also be free for the 2018 cx-9's

Just brought mine in for service; they told me that its not yet availible for the cx-9 but its a free upgrade for the 18 6 and 3's and will also be free for the 2018 cx-9's

Hopefully that will be consistent at all dealerships! I picked up a 2018 CX-9 this past spring and I would really like to have Carplay. I'd probably be able to justify paying for it, but free is always better!

Thanks for sharing the information!

It might be my biased way of viewing things (since I just bought one haha), but I am wondering if that will be true, as mazda Canada charged for all models (6s and 3s were at a discounted price), and they are at the moment selling the units for a price.

I guess I will wait to see what happens.

Back