Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

I noticed a bug today (AA/CP on 70.00.100 NA). This has happened more than once:

1) Start the car and connect my iPhone
2) Once CarPlay comes up, start a phone call
3) Hang up
4) Cannot adjust any other volume source such as FM, XM, Bluetooth. Adjusting the volume bring up the "Phone" volume settings
5) I have to physically unplug my phone in order to get the volume controls to properly work again

I should clarify, I am trying to adjust the volume because I cannot hear anything until I complete step 5. So it's not just volume control, it in fact, blocks the media source b/c it still thinks it's on a phone call even though it's clearly not.

---
The system has several volume controls for Media, Navigation, and Phone. You can distinguish them by the icon displayed when you're adjusting the volume. Typically, when the voice for turn by turn come on and you move the volume dial, you'll see a map. You'll see a musical note for Radio/Media, and a Phone Icon when on a call.

The issue above has occurred more than one time. I keep switching between FM, XM, Bluetooth (second phone), and nothing. The only volume I'm able to adjust in the phone volume.

When I don't make a call, then everything works well. I'm able to have my two phones connected (one via CP/USB, the other via Bluetooth), and listen to FM/XM without any issues.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've been enjoying this so much, but I knew I couldn't trust Mazda software not to f*** this up. They are so freaking sloppy. I contacted support to let them know. If you're having the same issue, you should also contact them, otherwise they'll think it's just a glitch or user error or some other BS.

Never going to forget how it took me like 4 visits and like 3-4 months to get my black screen replaced.

Last edited:
I used the trim removal tool. Just lift up on the upper trim and the two tabs release. Them just pull back on the panel and move it off to the side. I did not detach the wiring as there was enough room to move it around. I took out the hub with the surrounding panel, then detached the hub from the panel. Hard to access the hub clips with the panel in the car. Hope this helps.

I used the trim removal tool. Just lift up on the upper trim and the two tabs release. Them just pull back on the panel and move it off to the side. I did not detach the wiring as there was enough room to move it around. I took out the hub with the surrounding panel, then detached the hub from the panel. Hard to access the hub clips with the panel in the car. Hope this helps.
I, too, used a trim removal tool both for the rear of the center console and for the leather-wrapped trim piece by the glove box. And like Zoom49 I found removing the entire hub panel and then removing the hub from the panel was far easier than trying to reach the front two hub clips with the hub and hub panel still installed.

I just got a new 2018 and dealer agreed to install carplay to seal the deal. I just read thru this thread and now I know that they do have to install a new USB with faster speed to make it all work. So that involves getting into the console and taking apart the interior. Surprised to see so many doing this all themselves. Above my pay-grade for sure. Now I have to hope that the tech working on it know's as much as you guys...

I just got a new 2018 and dealer agreed to install carplay to seal the deal. I just read thru this thread and now I know that they do have to install a new USB with faster speed to make it all work. So that involves getting into the console and taking apart the interior. Surprised to see so many doing this all themselves. Above my pay-grade for sure. Now I have to hope that the tech working on it know's as much as you guys...

I had them do it to my CX-9 before I took possession and they had it finished in 3 hours. Worth it in my book. Very easy to work with. Make sure they show you some of the button tricks to go between the Mazda system and CarPlay.

Thanks. When I heard that the 2018 CX-9 ( and others) could be updated it made the 2018 at a lower price more desirable because it seems to be the number one knock on these pre-2019 cars. I have it in my Corvette. I use it occasionally but I can stream my Spotify just using bluetooth so it's not that big a deal to me but it is to many others so it's a major upgrade in my book and I'd probably pay for it if I had to.

New to the forum and a first time Mazda owner.

Purchased a 2018 CX-9 GT right after Thanksgiving and the dealer threw in the Apple CarPlay upgrade.

Love the car, and like Apple CarPlay. However, the infotainment system is VERY sluggish when first starting up. In fact, just yesterday, I drive 7 blocks (25mph) before the infotainment was responsive to any commands (Mazda connect, not even using CarPlay).

Anyone else seen this? Or is this a known issue for Mazda infotainment system.

Just want to ask around before making an appointment for service at the dealer.

Thanks!

New to the forum and a first time Mazda owner.

Purchased a 2018 CX-9 GT right after Thanksgiving and the dealer threw in the Apple CarPlay upgrade.

Love the car, and like Apple CarPlay. However, the infotainment system is VERY sluggish when first starting up. In fact, just yesterday, I drive 7 blocks (25mph) before the infotainment was responsive to any commands (Mazda connect, not even using CarPlay).

Anyone else seen this? Or is this a known issue for Mazda infotainment system.

Just want to ask around before making an appointment for service at the dealer.

Thanks!

Normal performance is around 7-10 seconds from startup where the legal screen clears and you can begin to navigate screen. A bit longer if connecting direct to Bluetooth.

Normal performance is around 7-10 seconds from startup where the legal screen clears and you can begin to navigate screen. A bit longer if connecting direct to Bluetooth.

Thanks!

Some days thats about right, but others its much slower. Cant change radio stations even on the steering wheel controls for up to 30-60 seconds at times. The only thing that works is the volume nob next to the shifter.

The problem seems to be especially noticeable if I turn off the car while CarPlay is active and then start the car back up the next day without the phone plugged in. Im now in the habit of exiting CarPlay before turning the car off.

However, even that doesnt solve the problem routinely. Seems hit or miss as to how long the system hangs.

Also, is it normal for phone contacts to sync every time I start the car? I see the contacts downloading bar on the top of the Mazda connect screen on every startup.

Thanks!

Some days that*s about right, but others it*s much slower. Can*t change radio stations even on the steering wheel controls for up to 30-60 seconds at times. The only thing that works is the volume nob next to the shifter.

The problem seems to be especially noticeable if I turn off the car while CarPlay is active and then start the car back up the next day without the phone plugged in. I*m now in the habit of exiting CarPlay before turning the car off.

However, even that doesn*t solve the problem routinely. Seems hit or miss as to how long the system hangs.

Also, is it normal for phone contacts to sync every time I start the car? I see the contacts downloading bar on the top of the Mazda connect screen on every startup

Yes, that's normal.

My 19 GT does this as well, which I bought at the end of September and has 3500 miles on it. I find it borderline unacceptable for this level and price of car and will mention it when I bring it to the dealer for my first oil change next month. Most days I can't change the station or adjust the audio source for 2-3 minutes after start up. Also, usually the system does not even allow me to switch to 360 view camera when backing out of the garage after starting the car. The reverse camera comes on, but pressing the selector knob has no effect. For those who have not experienced the 360 camera, if you press the selector knob when the rear camera is on, it is supposed to switch to a split screen 360 view/rear view. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't. It is generally super sluggish to "boot up" after starting the vehicle. I'm sure they will tell me it is operating normally, but I wonder if there is anything they can do from a firmware standpoint.

Dealer installed the Carplay on my 2018 GT as part of the sale. It seems to work great so far. WAZE is very good to have and looks great on the screen. Glad its on the car as this seems to be paramount to have these days. Pretty soon no new cars will be able to charge for factory nav. Surprised they still do on premium trims.

Question: when I have my phone connected and want to switch from music playing on my phone back to the radio, how do I do that?

When I go back to the Mazda infotainment and select radio I just get silence until I unplug my phone. What am I doing wrong?

Question: when I have my phone connected and want to switch from music playing on my phone back to the radio, how do I do that?

When I go back to the Mazda infotainment and select radio I just get silence until I unplug my phone. What am I doing wrong?

I utilize the Favorites Button (need to program) for switching back and forth. Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

I utilize the Favorites Button (need to program) for switching back and forth. Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
I too have my radio favorites programmed, but even when I select them they do not play. This is after listening to music off the phone.

Did the latest Android update (Samsung S9) break Google Maps in AA for anyone else? All I get is lost GPS signal messages and that I should check the notification on my phone. There is no notification for me to check.

Did the AA install on my cx9 2017. Is google map always in night mode? During the day it kinda hard to see in night mode. I can't find the option anywhere. Google map on my phone is setup for automatic switch between day and night.

Should be automatic. I can think of two things: your dash light setting is all the way to the minimum (the opposite happens when it's at max, the map stays on day mode), or there might be a setting that allows for auto switching that you have disabled.

I have a 2017 CX-9, but it appears my CMU must not be compatible because I only see one brown port on the back. And it's not keyed correctly for the blue or green wires. What gives? I thought all the 2017 models and up were good to go?

Back