Guide 2nd Generation CX-9: Rear turn signal bulb replacement/upgrade

7440 is single filament and 7443 is dual filament. Signals only would be 7440, signals and park/brake lights would be 7443. No need for a 7443 in a turn signal only application, but it will work.

No issues with mine whatsoever :)
Keep in mind that the bulbs I bought came with a warranty (I think one year). Might give you some peace of mind.

Gooood to hear that! I have the same bulbs with built in resistors, was supposedly for another car but will try it on the cx9 instead :cool:

Someone in another thread asked whether the LED bulbs are too bright.

They are definitely brighter, but I can't really say if they're obnoxiously bright as I think that would depend on the person. To me, they are not, but to someone else, I guess they could be? I can see how someone might think that the light is too bright when you consider the size of the turn signal lenses and the increase in brightness, but IMO the extra brightness is a benefit as it makes the signal easier to see.

Here's a quick vid of my turn signals in the daytime, on a slightly overcast day.

Someone in another thread asked whether the LED bulbs are too bright.

They are definitely brighter, but I can't really say if they're obnoxiously bright as I think that would depend on the person. To me, they are not, but to someone else, I guess they could be? I can see how someone might think that the light is too bright when you consider the size of the turn signal lenses and the increase in brightness, but IMO the extra brightness is a benefit as it makes the signal easier to see.

Here's a quick vid of my turn signals in the daytime, on a slightly overcast day.

They look solid.

BTW, are the electrical outlets in the parking lot for those Manitoba winters and to plug in your block heaters?

Spent a few minutes staring at my turn signals last night and I think I'll wait until one of them burns out to replace with LEDs. The stock halogen are bright enough, and due to the different design from the fronts, it's hard to tell that they are different really. $40 saved (for now)!

They look solid.

BTW, are the electrical outlets in the parking lot for those Manitoba winters and to plug in your block heaters?
You got it! Lol. They were really nice to have last winter, we were hitting -35 to -40c regularly. Our company's Maintenance team also keeps a couple of charged car batteries on wheeled carts handy in case someone needs a boost.

Spent a few minutes staring at my turn signals last night and I think I'll wait until one of them burns out to replace with LEDs. The stock halogen are bright enough, and due to the different design from the fronts, it's hard to tell that they are different really. $40 saved (for now)!
Yeah, they're definitely not a necessity.

Bulbs arrived yesterday and completed this mod literally in like 15 mins, if that, thanks to sm1ke's post. I was nervous at first but after I removed the first lamp housing, I saw the rubber connections mentioned in the previous posts and from there it was pretty self-explanatory. I do have to say be careful when you're pulling the housing out. The connections will remain intact (and you want them to). Just don't pull so far back that you dislodge or break something.

I ordered the same bulbs sm1ke ordered, except from Amazon US. Frankly I didn't see a tremendous difference between LED and OEM. Having said that, I can assure you my 'test' had its shortcomings. I did my replacement when it was pretty bright outside. Still, I like the way the new led bulbs look. Also haven't experience hyperflashing in the <12 hours I have owned these :)

Here's a link to the bulbs I ordered. I, too, was worried about them being obnoxiously bright... But in the end I didn't think they were...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Is the 2022 model still using halogen turn signals?

Bulbs arrived yesterday and completed this mod literally in like 15 mins, if that, thanks to sm1ke's post. I was nervous at first but after I removed the first lamp housing, I saw the rubber connections mentioned in the previous posts and from there it was pretty self-explanatory. I do have to say be careful when you're pulling the housing out. The connections will remain intact (and you want them to). Just don't pull so far back that you dislodge or break something.

I ordered the same bulbs sm1ke ordered, except from Amazon US. Frankly I didn't see a tremendous difference between LED and OEM. Having said that, I can assure you my 'test' had its shortcomings. I did my replacement when it was pretty bright outside. Still, I like the way the new led bulbs look. Also haven't experience hyperflashing in the <12 hours I have owned these :)

Here's a link to the bulbs I ordered. I, too, was worried about them being obnoxiously bright... But in the end I didn't think they were...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
Are these still working well for you?

Back