Is the current CX-5 a "stop-gap" generation?

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD
As we all know, the current CX-5 isn't all new. It's on the same platform as the '13-'16 models, although heavily modified. I'm guessing the current generation will be '17-'20 with an all new CX-5 for '21 on the new Mazda 3 platform. I'm sure there's many examples of this being done in the auto industry. One that comes to mind was the 2000-2003 Nissan Maxima. It was on the '95-'99 platform with new sheetmetal for 2000.
A little early to think about..just wondering what others think.

They can't do they used to do and that is update vehicles every few 5-7 years or so. The reason is every year so other manufacturer releases a new model or update. Hence Mazda now does the same be it minor spec updates or s major revision until the "all new" one appears

As we all know, the current CX-5 isn't all new. It's on the same platform as the '13-'16 models, although heavily modified. I'm guessing the current generation will be '17-'20 with an all new CX-5 for '21 on the new Mazda 3 platform. I'm sure there's many examples of this being done in the auto industry. One that comes to mind was the 2000-2003 Nissan Maxima. It was on the '95-'99 platform with new sheetmetal for 2000.
A little early to think about..just wondering what others think.

Every car is a stopgap for the next generation. The only thing I can think of that fits what you're saying is the 2011-2014 mustang GT. New engine, wrinkles added to the body, but 2015 was the new car as far as I'm concerned, they just had the engine in 2011 and couldn't let the car alone for 10 years.

*I consider 2016.5 cx5 a parts bin raid car vs. A stopgap model

I think most automakers just call it a mid cycle update. And they almost always do them. Not sure why Mazda doesn’t just call it that too. The auto journalists saw right through it.

Personally I usually like to go with the mid cycle as early in a true new platform you are more likely to have issues (with any brand).

2018 sales are 26000+ for first two months. My gawd Zamda will hit 160k this year? Maybe 180 if diesel is released. Wonderful for a 2013 platform considering sales are low overall. Next significant update is skyX. Read somewhere combined mpg will be 35 .. mzd needs to add a small battery and rear motor for mild assist hybrid to skyX. 40+ in CX-5 size is serious mpg.
Meanwhile my 16.5 is still doing mid 30s every morning.

Back