2017 Mazda CX-5 GT Tech - Smart City Break Support

cvolpe

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT Tech
Hi All,

Does anyone know a little bit more about this feature? For example, can it be turned On/Off and if so where is the setting? So far I have read a bit about it here https://www.mazda.ca/en/vehicles/2017-cx-5/features/

The other day I almost rear-ended someone, but was able to avoid it by breaking myself. This caused me to want to investigate this feature more.

Thanks

Ping me about this after the weekend if you are still interested. I had the crazy auto brake feature kick in twice now and the second time almost got me rear ended hard. I am going to the dealer on Saturday to get my plates and a few other things, so i will have them looking at it and hopefully disabling it.

Ok, i just got back from the dealer. They stated that this shouldnt be happening, duh....

So they could not identify the problem, so what we did was:

1) turned off the city brake support, but i told them this isnt a fix as there will be a dash light on and i would have to do this repeatedly.
2) Turned off forward radar in the menu option above the city brake support. This stays off even when i restart the car and there is no dash light.

Driving back to work from the dealer, i determined that active radar still works for lane assist and cruise control, but i do not know how it impacts low speed driving. To be fair, i never use it in town anyway, so this works for me.

GL,

Logan

I'm a little confused... is it not working? Or is it activating too early?

Mine would activate when someone was turning and I was clear. The last time it kicked on, someone was turning left and it brought me to a complete stop from 40mph. The car was clear, but my car didn't think it was.

Mine would activate when someone was turning and I was clear. The last time it kicked on, someone was turning left and it brought me to a complete stop from 40mph. The car was clear, but my car didn't think it was.

You mean the car was no longer in front of you and your CX-5 still ended up stopping?

Sounds like a work-around, not a fix. I would demand a fix. If they can't fix it, new car.

That scenario where someone is turning and you are going past them is the #1 complaint I always hear about auto braking. I try to be very aware of this situation and stay back when people are turning off. There are lots of stories about auto braking saving people too so you've got to balance out if it's worth it. Just be aware of the downsides and watch for them, it makes sense to keep using something that can save your butt one day.

Sounds like the software could use more fine tuning. Well at least it stopped, as opposed to the Tesla Autopilot system that drove into a highway divider. That's still a problem I wouldn't like to have. Hope your dealer can have it fixed.

Sounds like the software could use more fine tuning. Well at least it stopped, as opposed to the Tesla Autopilot system that drove into a highway divider. That's still a problem I wouldn't like to have. Hope your dealer can have it fixed.

It happened to me also.
One way around this is to put light pressure on the brake pedal while you try to pass it.
The system will not engage if the brake pedal is pressed.

Ok, i just got back from the dealer. They stated that this shouldnt be happening, duh....

So they could not identify the problem, so what we did was:

1) turned off the city brake support, but i told them this isnt a fix as there will be a dash light on and i would have to do this repeatedly.
2) Turned off forward radar in the menu option above the city brake support. This stays off even when i restart the car and there is no dash light.

Driving back to work from the dealer, i determined that active radar still works for lane assist and cruise control, but i do not know how it impacts low speed driving. To be fair, i never use it in town anyway, so this works for me.

GL,

Logan

logan, instead of disabling the safety feature, reduce it from the default "medium" state to "near" so it lowers the sensitivity. Also the radar part (the emblem on the grill) is only used in speeds above 18mph (it also uses the camera on windshield). slower speeds (2-18mph) it uses only the camera, not the radar. the lane assist uses the camera only, but the adaptive cruise control uses the radar so if that still works, it's still on, and afaik you can't just disable the "radar" part at least from a user option. likely, they just disabled the smart city brake support option (the low speed collision protection)

Last edited:
It happened to me also.
One way around this is to put light pressure on the brake pedal while you try to pass it.
The system will not engage if the brake pedal is pressed.

That is the key.
Control the system, don't let it control you.

That is the key.
Control the system, don't let it control you.
This could not be more true. The main reason I have the issue is that I was in control and the system acted as it should, just to sensitive for me. So I would rather not have it in play. Had it not kicked in I would have made a clean and safe pass.

I am glad it's there for the people texting and driving... Like that woman behind me who almost hit me when the car stopped. That is my larger concern

I have learned its trigger points and drive like an old Grandma when someone is turning off the road in front of me.
At first it was like a sideseat driver was panicing and overreacting.

Back