Cabin Filter Install on a 2009 Mazda5

speedo66

:
2009 Mazda5 Sport
Just got this car w/110K, was my daughter's, but while she had maintenance done on a regular basis, she kept no records. So I started from scratch on all wear items.

I installed new plugs, air filter, tires, f & r sway bar end links, rear sway bar bushings, both belts, front rotors and pads, and then came to the cabin filters. Every thread I read about this job, everyone seemed to hate it.

But, it still needed to be done. I watched videos, people struggled, talked about the dreaded upper screw. Some even left it out. lol

So here's my method: Remove tray under glove box, remove cover from front side of center console. Pretty regular so far. Remove both electrical connections from side of filter cover.

I suggest a stubby screwdriver, easier to push in for more pressure when removing screws. I'm in my 70's, so found the least abusive position for my back to be this: push the passenger seat all the way back and drop the upper part of the seat all the way to the rear and as far down as possible. Enter from the driver's side slider and drop your back onto the passenger seat, head to the front. This positions you looking at the filter door, and easy to see and remove all the screws, 2 lower, 2 upper on the white plastic. Remove door and old filters, vacuum inside if you can.

Now here's a trick I haven't seen anywhere else, so I'll take credit for it. When you replace the filters, they have to stack one above the other, but there's only room enough to insert one at a time. The filter with foam on it goes in first, foam up, and is pushed in and up to allow room under it for second filter. But I couldn't get both hands there to hold it up and place the other underneath it. So a thin strip of double sided tape kept it up on top long enough for me to slide the other under it. Yea!

Buttoning up is just the reverse of everything, the upper screws are not a problem if you're still in that position.

Don't be afraid to try it. For what the dealer charges to do it, you can pocket the difference and take your significant other out for a nice meal.

Good luck!

Edit: I forgot to mention the double stick tape goes on top on the foam itself, then push the filter in and up, it will stick there.
Second, when you get in the car to do this, remove your shoes. When you lay down on the front seat, your dirty shoes will be all over the rear seat otherwise.

Last edited:
Back