No laser sensor in 2nd gen CX-5?

:
18 CX-5
Can someone confirm that the windshield mounted laser sensor in 2016.5 and earlier models (used for SBS & SCBS) has been removed in the new CX-5? The manual seems to suggest SCBS in the 2nd gen now relies on FSC (camera) alone. SBS seems better, at least it still has front radar (in addition to FSC).

If there is an existing thread discussing this change or redesign please show me. Thx. By the way was that a good change from a technical perspective?

The older version which operates between 4-30km/h (2.49-18.6mph) uses a laser:

First Gen SCBS & SBS

The newer version which operates between 4-80km/h (2.49-49.7mph) uses a camera:

Second Gen SCBS & SBS

29vjur.jpg

Also discussed here:

Smart City Brake Support (SCBS)

Last edited:
Thanks! So the camera based SCBS actually outperforms the previous camera+laser based system, in terms of operating speed range, at least. I was worried one is going to miss some features with laser sensor gone. Good information!

Looking at that video on second gen SCBS, I wondered if the actual braking takes place as soon as the car or pedestrian comes in the range of front ultrasonic sensors, being of course tracked by the front facing camera on the wind shield all the time.

This might provide you with some info:

Braking will occur when the vehicle senses imminent collision with what ever is infront.

Last edited:
Looking at that video on second gen SCBS, I wondered if the actual braking takes place as soon as the car or pedestrian comes in the range of front ultrasonic sensors, being of course tracked by the front facing camera on the wind shield all the time.

It operates only if it determines there will be a collision.
And it's just the camera and radar, no ultrasonic.

Back