2014 Mazda CX-5 BSM Issues

nicknick9109

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD
Hello All,*

I am brand new to the forum. I own a 2014 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD that I purchased CPO in May 2017. At the end of August 2017 I started having an issue with the passenger side BSM sensor throwing off constant false alerts during the night, very cloudy and rainy days while driving on the highway. It is only the passenger side when in the normal driving lane. The drivers side when in the passing lane never had an issue. Its when I am passing guard rails, highway barriers or signs. Ive taken my car to many different dealerships and none would drive it at night. Finally one did and they were able to duplicate my concerns. They are now telling me that this is normal. If this is normal, why didnt it do it for thousands upon thousands of miles when I first got the car? Why does none of the Mazda service loaners that Ive had do it? Why is it only the passenger side and not the driver side? Ive asked about calibration and they say there is no way to do that. Is this really normal? What are others opinions with CX-5s BSM systems? Im not talking about 1 or 2 false alerts, when driving for an hour it can be up to 30-40 false alerts while on the highway. While getting off exits the car will beep, flash and startle me in the process. I have videos of the events, but Im not sure*how to share that on here. Id greatly appreciate any feedback. Im wondering if there is a way to fix this once and for all, or if it is seriously normal?

Thank You

My 2014. When I change lanes to the outside lane where there is wall or noise barrier my vehicle sounds an alarm and flashes a mirror light. I don't get the frequent alerts like you do and it is not normal. Ed

You might want to call Mazda N/A and see if they have any suggestions. Maybe open a case. It doesn't sound normal.

2014 was probably around the time they introduced BSM so maybe there's a fix/firmware update available.

I have contacted Mazda many of times, including the remediation department. It has been to 4 dealerships. I have attempted to file a lawsuit against Mazda; my attorney attempted to get them to settle, they refused. This has been an ongoing issue since August 2017. Mazda refuses to do anything about it, and now that a dealership has confirmed that it does indeed go off at night on the highway... its deemed normal. The service manager said there is no reason that it is going off just at night, but they have indeed discovered that to be the case. It has been a complete nightmare and Im reaching out for help. I owe thousands more on the car than its worth... Im in a terrible situation and Mazda wont budge.

Guardrails have always set off my passenger side BSM. from day one.

Heritage07, have you ever attempted to have it looked at? Do you find it to be a nuisance? Ive had other CX-5s as loaners and they did not have the same issue nor other Mazda models. Ive talked to many different CX-5 owners who also claim to never have the issue I am facing, including repersentives at Mazda themselves! Is it possible that both of our cars have the same issue?

I was able to post a recent video of the concerns onto YouTube. https://youtu.be/HlWujcTM2iU

I am just frustrated that they feel this isnt a problem! Its very annoying and the entire run around has gotten old.
Have you, or the previous owner as far as you know, ever involved any accident at the right rear? I believe it's your BSM right-rear radar sensor which may have some issues during the night. At this point since your CX-5 is a CPO and you bought unless than a year, you should contact Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations and explain the situation with your dealer experience and the video you have showing the problem. They should take care of you most likely replacing your right-rear BSM radar sensor.

Alphadog00, the CPO warranty for 12k Miles/ 12 months was still active when I took the car in many of times. The miles have since exceeded the 12k. It is on record during the warrnaty period many of times and is currently at a dealership with Mazda agreeing to pay for the visit. Ive asked from the get go to have the passenger side sensor replaced, and they firmly refused time after time after time.

I have contacted Mazda many of times, including the remediation department. It has been to 4 dealerships. I have attempted to file a lawsuit against Mazda; my attorney attempted to get them to settle, they refused. This has been an ongoing issue since August 2017. Mazda refuses to do anything about it, and now that a dealership has confirmed that it does indeed go off at night on the highway... it’s deemed “normal.” The service manager said there is no reason that it is going off just at night, but they have indeed discovered that to be the case. It has been a complete nightmare and I’m reaching out for help. I owe thousands more on the car than it’s worth... I’m in a terrible situation and Mazda won’t budge.

You started a thread like you were asking for help. And now you dump this. I call BS.

yrwei52, I have contacted Mazda time after time after time. I have dealt with their higher level departments as well. I went as far as getting an attorney involved, which didnt produce any results. The different dealerships went as far as taking the bumper off and verifying no previous damage. There is no stickers or anything on the bumper cover either. Mazda refuses to replace the sensor. Ive showed them several videos, and they still refuse. Its been a terrible and stressful experience to say the least.

If the dealer agrees it shouldnt do this, i have to wonder why mazda so adamantly refuses to replace a sensor. I would have thought this would have been done 6 months ago “just to make the customer go away”

Or the lawyer would want to pursue small claims court to get the sensor replaced. You seem to have enough evidence to warrant that.

Really surprised Mazda is fighting so hard. Or are you asking for more then a sensor replacement?

I have contacted Mazda many of times, including the remediation department. It has been to 4 dealerships. I have attempted to file a lawsuit against Mazda; my attorney attempted to get them to settle, they refused. This has been an ongoing issue since August 2017. Mazda refuses to do anything about it, and now that a dealership has confirmed that it does indeed go off at night on the highway... its deemed normal. The service manager said there is no reason that it is going off just at night, but they have indeed discovered that to be the case. It has been a complete nightmare and Im reaching out for help. I owe thousands more on the car than its worth... Im in a terrible situation and Mazda wont budge.
You're having BSM problem within CPO warranty and MNAO should have no issue to replace the BSM radar sensor if there's no accident involved. You can escalate the issue since you'd started contacting MNAO all the way to the top if for some reason they keep refusing to replace a sensor, which for them is a piece of cake! Something went wrong during your warranty claim process.

I flat out asked them to fix whatever it is that is causing this. I did some research and then asked for the passenger sensor to be replaced. I even at one point offered to pay half! Im not making any of this up, Im just really in a bad situation with owing thousands more on a car thats annoying me. I dont even have an exact idea of what the sensor costs or if it has to be calibrated afterwards? I know very little about the technical aspects.

Last edited:
I even wrote a letter to the CEO of Mazda North America, Mr. Moro! Im not kidding, everyone is coming back and saying its normal now. The dealer that drove it during the night said yes it does it, but its normal and in the owners manual.

I even wrote a letter to the CEO of Mazda North America, Mr. Moro! I’m not kidding, everyone is coming back and saying it’s normal now. The dealer that drove it during the night said yes it does it, but it’s normal and in the owner’s manual.

I dont have that model year. What does the manual say? I know my auto hi beams come on in rain, fog or snow at dusk and are completely unreliable.

Back