New guy - '03 Mazdaspeed Protege

AZDave65

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege, 1990 CSP Miata
Hi gang!

I have had over 40 Miatas and had sworn off FWD or black cars, and look at what I ended up with!? Friend of mine had it, and thought there was a major problem, so picked it up fairly cheap. Found #3 plug wire was not on. That took care of the noisy misfire, and now having a blast with this little rocket! Just put on new tires (Hankooks) and got rid of the rock hard junk that was on it. Transformed!

When getting the tires mounted today, I noticed one of the center caps was gone. Must have fallen off, so anyone got one, with the 2 set screws? They are the OEM Racing Hart 17s with the raised Mazda logo. I'd gladly reimburse for time and trouble...

Also had a CEL for fuel pressure regulator, but put some Techron in it and it seems to be clearing up a bit. Since I am new to these cars, is the pressure regulator special to this model? Is it in the tank/pump assembly (like the Miata), or on the fuel rail? Hopefully it will clear up as the miles go on, but just in case...

Anywho, REALLY enjoying the car and glad to join the group. Thanks in advance for any help. (usa)

Pic attached...

Attachments

• PB270249.JPG
    PB270249.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 206
Techron seems to have cleared up the occasional misfire. Hankook tires are awesome! Happy owner. :)

Hi gang!

I have had over 40 Miatas and had sworn off FWD or black cars, and look at what I ended up with!? Friend of mine had it, and thought there was a major problem, so picked it up fairly cheap. Found #3 plug wire was not on. That took care of the noisy misfire, and now having a blast with this little rocket! Just put on new tires (Hankooks) and got rid of the rock hard junk that was on it. Transformed!

When getting the tires mounted today, I noticed one of the center caps was gone. Must have fallen off, so anyone got one, with the 2 set screws? They are the OEM Racing Hart 17s with the raised Mazda logo. I'd gladly reimburse for time and trouble...

Also had a CEL for fuel pressure regulator, but put some Techron in it and it seems to be clearing up a bit. Since I am new to these cars, is the pressure regulator special to this model? Is it in the tank/pump assembly (like the Miata), or on the fuel rail? Hopefully it will clear up as the miles go on, but just in case...

Anywho, REALLY enjoying the car and glad to join the group. Thanks in advance for any help. (usa)

Pic attached...

You’re never going to want to get rid of this car. I have the ‘03 P5 and will drive it forever. The car does have a rather unique fuel handling system in my limited experience - different from earlier Protgs at least. For example: it doesn’t have a separate fuel filter but one that is integrated into the pump near the tank and not a maintenance item. But the fuel pressure regulator is at the engine. See attached from the manualIMG_6997.JPGIMG_6998.JPGIMG_6999.JPG

You’re never going to want to get rid of this car. I have the ‘03 P5 and will drive it forever. The car does have a rather unique fuel handling system in my limited experience - different from earlier Protgs at least. For example: it doesn’t have a separate fuel filter but one that is integrated into the pump near the tank and not a maintenance item. But the fuel pressure regulator is at the engine. See attached from the manualView attachment 218844View attachment 218845View attachment 218846

Cool, man. Thanks! You are right, I just might have to keep this car for quite a while! BTW, some IDIOT put LED turn signals in the front and they started burning the lens, also discolored, so I just went and got the correct ones. Little steps here and there to make this thing better! :)

Turbo is SHOT in this car. Anyone have one, or know of one, or know of a bolt-in replacement??? I am sending back a "direct fit" ebay special today. No way in HELL it is going to fit. Other options I have seen are $4-800 +. Yikes!!! I posted an ad in the Wanted section, but no luck yet.

BTW, I have read through quite a few threads in this section, but since this is all new to me, it is kind of confusing just what to do. Any advice welcome !!! :)

Welcome. Nice car! Tires really do transform this car.

If you're looking for parts, join some of the groups on Facebook. Mazdaspeed Protege Enthusiasts (MSPE) and Mazdaspeed Protege Owners are the 2 main groups for MSPs. There are a few people that always have part outs over there.

Also, 40 Miatas?! I have casually been looking at Miatas on Craiglist lately. I want one so bad. I saw a really nice '91 1.6L turbo for sale that is really tempting but unfortunately I don't have the space. What generations have you had? I've been mostly looking at NAs.

Welcome. Nice car! Tires really do transform this car.

If you're looking for parts, join some of the groups on Facebook. Mazdaspeed Protege Enthusiasts (MSPE) and Mazdaspeed Protege Owners are the 2 main groups for MSPs. There are a few people that always have part outs over there.

Also, 40 Miatas?! I have casually been looking at Miatas on Craiglist lately. I want one so bad. I saw a really nice '91 1.6L turbo for sale that is really tempting but unfortunately I don't have the space. What generations have you had? I've been mostly looking at NAs.

Thanks for the reply!

I have had NA and NB Miatas (44 to be exact), 1.6L, 1.8L as well, from 1990 to 2000. I find the earlier (NA) cars to be more of a pure sports car, whereas the later (NB) is more refined as a road car as well as a great sports car. I like them all! Okay, I guess I would prefer the NB for a daily driver, an NA with later model 1.8L for autocross/track. I had a supercharged car, but never a turbo. I have driven one, though. I usually ended up modding my cars for autocross, so Koni or Bilstein shocks, heavier springs, heavier front swaybar, etc. The current car is a 1990 (lightest) with a 2000 engine and ecu in it. It's pretty quick, and a lot of fun! Hope you can find a good one. They are cheap to insure and drive, a blast in the twisty bits, and parts are relatively cheap! BTW, also love BMWs. I miss my '95 M3 and always will ... Cheers!

In my search for a replacement turbo, I found this: "I have worked on, torn down, and built many of these cars. The turbo is a journal bearing 2554. A gt2860 can be bolted on in its place" The part # is "GT2554 PART#471171-3." Is this right? Want to make sure I don't go wasting time and money (again!). Thanks in advance, guys!

Thanks for the reply!

I have had NA and NB Miatas (44 to be exact), 1.6L, 1.8L as well, from 1990 to 2000. I find the earlier (NA) cars to be more of a pure sports car, whereas the later (NB) is more refined as a road car as well as a great sports car. I like them all! Okay, I guess I would prefer the NB for a daily driver, an NA with later model 1.8L for autocross/track. I had a supercharged car, but never a turbo. I have driven one, though. I usually ended up modding my cars for autocross, so Koni or Bilstein shocks, heavier springs, heavier front swaybar, etc. The current car is a 1990 (lightest) with a 2000 engine and ecu in it. It's pretty quick, and a lot of fun! Hope you can find a good one. They are cheap to insure and drive, a blast in the twisty bits, and parts are relatively cheap! BTW, also love BMWs. I miss my '95 M3 and always will ... Cheers!

Good info! The NB does seem to be a bit nicer (especially the interior) but I like the exterior looks of the NAs better. If I get one, I'll probably end up with a 1.8L NA. I had a lot of fun with my 318is with the 4 cylinder and upgraded suspension. I'm thinking this will be similar if I get one with a stock engine. Is it true that the 1.8L cars have a better chassis than the 1.6L ?

E36 M3s are great cars. Wouldn't mind picking up one of those someday too. But my swapped e30 is fine for now lol.

Good info! The NB does seem to be a bit nicer (especially the interior) but I like the exterior looks of the NAs better. If I get one, I'll probably end up with a 1.8L NA. I had a lot of fun with my 318is with the 4 cylinder and upgraded suspension. I'm thinking this will be similar if I get one with a stock engine. Is it true that the 1.8L cars have a better chassis than the 1.6L ?

E36 M3s are great cars. Wouldn't mind picking up one of those someday too. But my swapped e30 is fine for now lol.

Miata chassis are all the same (1.6 vs. 1.8L). The NB is even very similar, although some of the suspension geometry was changed.

..but if you decide on an NA, look for a '94 R. ;)

1.8, limited slip, etc.

Indeed! Good call. (I had two of them. heh heh)

BTW, friend of mine and I did a spreadsheet and the '99 has the best power to weight ratio. Had a couple '99 Sport models too. GREAT car.

I had a 99 too! (drinks)

I also has a 2001. If you decide on an NB, you might want a 99 or 00 because the ones with VVT (01-03) are a little more complicated if and when you decide to boost it.

Congrats on the MSP and apologies for the semi thread jack BTW. MSPs are getting more and more rare and are a killer little car. Ever read this?

http://www.superstreetonline.com/cars/new-car-reviews/0309scc-mazdaspeed-protege/

Nice article! I read a bunch from C&D, R&T, etc before I bought the car. Impressive! I REALLY Love it, even though I had sworn off FWD or black cars in the desert. Ah well, be careful what you wish for (or not). Haha.

No worries on the "hijack." Good discussion, and led to FB group where I found my turbo and the center cap I need. Nice car collection, by the way. Two thumbs up!

As far as turbos go, the stock turbo is a ball bearing, and according to everything Ive read is non rebuildable. A gt28 series will bolt up unless its a weird stock turbo from another car, but with a bigger turbo youre going to need some engine management to compensate. Many go with the split second SSAFC piggyback to accomplish this.

Back