DRLs

:
2021 Acura RDX
DRLs

Hello!

I am not having any issues with the DRLs yet, but was wondering if anyone with a 2017+ have encountered any issues?

I was thinking about just getting a bumper to bumper extended warranty, but I read that it doesnt cover the headlights?

Anyway, are the headlights in the newer CX-5s different than the older models? Or, is it the same headlights in a new headlight design?

USA/Canada DRL incorporates the LED headlights.

Elsewhere in the world, it doesn't.

So you need to factor this into the equation.

USA/Canada DRL incorporates the LED headlights.

Elsewhere in the world, it doesn't.

So you need to factor this into the equation.

Sir! By saying "elsewhere in the world" you are dragging your generalization too far since you really do not know what the rest of the world is offered by Mazda.What ever!
I'll just inform you about Sweden (a small country in Europe, one of the many other continents). There are 4 models of CX-5 offered in Sweden, Core, Vision, VisionPlus, and Optimum in the ascending order of price. LED headlights are offered in all the models here but only the three most expensive ones have LED DRL. I presume the Core model has a halogen DRL with LED headlights. By the way my source is the company brochure from the dealer for 2017 Mazda CX-5.
During my travel on the roads of Sweden, the CX-5 models with non functional DRL /headlights (coming from the opposite side) have always been the pre 2017 models so far. Only the time will tell if 2017 model is immune from the headlight dysfunction issue or not!
By the way, low beam head light or DRL "switched on" is a must here during day time driving, and that is how I know whether it is working or not.

Last edited:
Sir! By saying "elsewhere in the world" you are dragging your generalization too far since you really do not know what the rest of the world is offered by Mazda.What ever!
I'll just inform you about Sweden (a small country in Europe, one of the many other continents). There are 4 models of CX-5 offered in Sweden, Core, Vision, VisionPlus, and Optimum in the ascending order of price. LED headlights are offered in all the models here but only the three most expensive ones have LED DRL. I presume the Core model has a halogen DRL with LED headlights. By the way my source is the company brochure from the dealer for 2017 Mazda CX-5.
During my travel on the roads of Sweden, the CX-5 models with non functional DRL /headlights (coming from the opposite side) have always been the pre 2017 models so far. Only the time will tell if 2017 model is immune from the headlight dysfunction issue or not!
By the way, low beam head light or DRL "switched on" is a must here during day time driving, and that is how I know whether it is working or not.

I was actually saying only the USA/Canada have DRL+LED combination for LED DRL's. See below:

jjpkpi.jpg

Note the black arrow showing the whole lamp assembly is lit for DRL that is DRL+LED headlights

Elsewhere in the world (there maybe others like USA but the rest should be different), LED DRL should like this:

ev5ema.jpg

Note the red arrows showing only the LED DRL is lit and not the LED headlight itself.

I wasn't talking about halogen DRLs.

And yes only top spec models seem to have LED related DRL's.

As for LED headlights, depends on the country.

Last edited:
DRLs

Xeler8ing's generalization of his statement is absolutely correct.

Mazda made the DRL setup very complicated on Gen-2 CX-5 worldwide. They're different between top-trim GT and Touring/Sport in the US. Even front parking light setup is different too. One thing consistent for US is the LED headlights will be on all the time in DRL mode with either LED accent strip (GT) or the dedicated inner driving-light-like LED lights. Unfortunately the front amber turn signals have become hidden and dim when it's flashing which to me is dangerous.

Most people would agree for Gen-2 CX-5 the best DRL setup is like the Gen-1's, with only the LED Signature accent strips, showing in the last picture attached. Unfortunately it's running into reliability problem for Gen-1. Hopefully with headlights on all the time in the US and Canada for DRLs, Mazda had done something to prevent the same LED DRL issues on Gen-1 CX-5. Only time will tell.

Although 2017 CX-5 owner's manual says the front turn signal/parking light uses dual-filament 7444NA bulb, but the pictures I took earlier on a 2017 CX-5 GT suggests otherwise:

Light switch at parking light position:
attachment.php

Light switch at headlight on position (low beam):
attachment.php

LED Signature accent strips added on GT partially block turn signal and LED DRL location on Touring/Sport. And you can see how small and dim the turn signal is on GT comparing to Touring/Sport when the headlights are on!

The LED DRL space on Touring/Sport between headlight and amber parking/turn signal looks like unused on GT.

View attachment 217137 View attachment 217136

Here are some pictures from 2017 CX-5 Touring showing whenever DRL function is on, both LED DRLs and LED low-beam headlights are simultaneously on! You can imagine how GT DRLs work by replacing Touring LED DRLs with GT's LED Signature DRLs.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's what the front lights look like when light switch is at parking light position without DRL function when car is in stationary:
attachment.php

Here's what the front lights look like when light switch is at headlight-on position without DRL function when car is in stationary:
attachment.php

Finally for 2017 CX-5 Touring the high-beam is from the same LED cell for the low beam in the projector, and use a shutter to control them like 2015 bi-xenon HID. For 2016 LED headlights we have a separate LED cell at inner side of the low beam LED dedicated for high beam only.

View attachment 216512 View attachment 216513 View attachment 216515 View attachment 216514

Looks like UK has the same setup as Australia.

mazda-cx-5-716.jpg

But I can't figure out who gets this setup, which is perfect.
cx-5-03.jpg

Last edited:

Sir! I am going to guess you assumed our friend Xeler8ing is one of those "typical Americans" that I am sure you think most of us are. Think the world revolves around us. Thinks we're better then every one else. Thinks we do things right and everyone else is backwards. Sir!
What ever!
I assure you the majority of us Americans are not the stereotype you think we are.
Just like we don't think all Swedes are blond with blue eyes and driving Volvos!
And Sir!
Xeler8ing...is Australian...

Sir! I am going to guess you assumed our friend Xeler8ing is one of those "typical Americans" that I am sure you think most of us are. Think the world revolves around us. Thinks we're better then every one else. Thinks we do things right and everyone else is backwards. Sir!
What ever!
I assure you the majority of us Americans are not the stereotype you think we are.
Just like we don't think all Swedes are blond with blue eyes and driving Volvos!
And Sir!

2F584QJ.gif

What ever!
And Sir!

Please show me kindly, how I have presumed that Xeler8ing is an American. His profile clearly shows that he is from "Down Under". You are presuming that I presumed that he was from USA. Your presumption was wrong!

Please show me kindly, how I have presumed that Xeler8ing is an American. His profile clearly shows that he is from "Down Under". You are presuming that I presumed that he was from USA. Your presumption was wrong!

Did you presume I am an American? That's all I want to know?

It's funny how this forum goes all crazy over the new LED DRL setup and stuff, I feel they're so over rated now. When they were first introduced in the Audi it was very cool and even a few years back it was still pretty cool as Mazda incorporated into the mazda3 because not many other car manufacturer has them yet. Now almost every car manufacturers are slapping these things on just to have it, even the cheaper ugly cars like the mitsubishi mirage has these LED DRL slapped on. They just don't feel as classy anymore, or unique. For me I'm okay with them being on the low beams since they're at reduced power and fill out the circle I think it looks fine. I know people are concerned about the longevity of the LED with them on all the time, I am too so I chose to disable mine for the most part. I turn it back on during winter time when often times it's dark early or gloomy. I'll leave it off during the summer since I don't need my headlights on during a sunny day. I'm just glad at least Mazda makes their LED DRL look nice, instead of just slapping a strip someone on the bumper.

Btw, the turn signals on this car is fine. At first I thought they were dim too but I can definitely see them a long distance away even on a bright sunny day. Funny thing is I felt it got dimmer once I put the LED in the turn signals, so I just put the stock ones back on lol

Just to put it right! I am not a true Swede either. I just happen to live here (I am definitely not blonde and blue eyed (sssh), don't tell the Swedes that) and I like my CX-5. That is why we all are here gathered in this forum, discussing CX-5 so let us not bother about who comes from where. And (stopwar)

Guys,
To put a little peace in the forum, who the puck care where we are from!
We are here for a single passion and that is Mazda CX 5 regardless of color, generation or trim!![emoji3]

Xeler8ing's generalization of his statement is absolutely correct.

Mazda made the DRL setup very complicated on Gen-2 CX-5 worldwide. They're different between top-trim GT and Touring/Sport in the US. Even front parking light setup is different too.

wait, is this true that only the GT package has the accent LED strips in the US? I could have sworn I saw a sport or touring model with the led accent strips

EDIT: Saw for myself on Touring and Sport reviews of the 2017 that they only have the LED headlights but not the accent strip and the design is different too. For some reason I thought all models had the accent strip..interesting. I think the Grand Select option threw me off as that one does have the 19'' wheels and LED accent strip and that trim only existed for 2017

Last edited:
It matters where we are from because the cars are different. I don't want to be that American, but I catch myself forgetting that the model offerings are different elsewhere. Now that I have the car, I sometimes forget about the differences between the trim levels even in the US.

I'm hoping US and Canadian models are close enough that I can get away with using the Canadian trailer wiring harness that will show up on Friday. For some reason, its the only harness that doesn't require either splicing into existing wires, or running a wire all the way to the battery.

Nobodys hung up on who's from where. I thought Raj was stereo typing. He was not. My bad. Let's move on.

DRLs

wait, is this true that only the GT package has the accent LED strips in the US? I could have sworn I saw a sport or touring model with the led accent strips

EDIT: Saw for myself on Touring and Sport reviews of the 2017 that they only have the LED headlights but not the accent strip and the design is different too. For some reason I thought all models had the accent strip..interesting. I think the Grand Select option threw me off as that one does have the 19'' wheels and LED accent strip and that trim only existed for 2017
For US Touring and Sport Gen-2 CX-5 other than LED headlights, there're additional dedicated inner driving-light-like LED lights serve as DRLs.

See pictures posted on post #7 in this thread.

Huh. Not even an apology or correction offered.

Oh well. Might as well sit back for now and see where this thread now leads to.

tumblr_oucyh4F3wY1s9a9yjo1_400.gif

P.S - Thanks to those who supported me (2thumbs)

Last edited:
Back