Project : '17 Cx9

Ali 556

:
2017 cx-9
Hi,
So after having my CX9 for exactly 1 year and after ~13k miles I started my modifications on it.

As there is NO aftermarket support for my car I took upon my self to creat my parts.

First thing first :
A 3" catback system with straight threw muffler, I went to a local muffler shop, brought my dynomax ultraflo 3" in 3" out muffler, and after creating my mid pipe and getting rid of the 2nd cat and resenator, I placed it in the place of the stock bathtub in the back.
A small detour needed to be done around the rear diff, then 2x2.5" outlets

Once installed, a deep nice tone can be heard, no drone at all, as I kept my stock DP turbo spool not much can be heard.

If I pilb the throttle few times, you can hear some crackelz in the exhaust, no back fire or loud sound can be heard ( thx to the stock cat).

My gains from it : faster spool of the turbo, nice sound and strangley cooler water temp ???

I know it sounds weird, but my water temp now is always below 90* on the dash.

Once I go home I'll find a way to upload my cellphone quality pix for all ya.

Next modification is :
1- catch can.
2- aluminum IC piping with heat DEI gold tape.
3- some kind of heat barrier between the rad and the intake manifold, as my IAT Always high 2ndry to the IAT sensor being just behind the rad.

Auto exe makes strut bars and sway bars for 16+ cx-9. There is a website that sells internationally.

Stock muffler
IMG_20180318_085348_zpshnpn70ly.jpg

undercarrige
IMG_20180318_084739_zpslpfobrxr.jpg

new mid pipe, and you can see the rear diff detour :
IMG_20180318_185305_zpsxdnmemt0.jpg

rear muffler and Y pip :
IMG_20180318_185258_zpsbesdkkay.jpg

Next is a catch can

I like the fact that the car is very quiet. So I am not really looking to change the exhaust. Cork Sport is making a cat back system for the CX-9 and should be ready for sale soon. I am looking for someone to come out with an intake system. Then I can get the vehicle tuned. Thats the biggest bang for the buck without changing to many things.

Corksport's stuff is overpriced, again it's not about the sound, it's about decreasing back pressure and free flowing exhaust.

About the intake, I've contacted some more than one company and their response is that :
This is a family car, and no demand for speed parts for it.

K&N are awaiting the 18+ Mazda 6 with the turbo to make the intake for it.

The problem with the 9's intake is that the MAF is on the hat of the air box, which means you can't right something your self for it.

About the tune, it will be very difficult to tune, as this engine is very smart and increase. And decreases boost based on the type of fuel ( remember the 210 and 250 hp setting from the factory).

About the tune, it will be very difficult to tune, as this engine is very smart and increase. And decreases boost based on the type of fuel ( remember the 210 and 250 hp setting from the factory).

Isn't it 227 or 250 based on the octane rating of the fuel? And I'm pretty sure it doesn't change the boost based on the octane, I think it changes the timing.

Hi,
So after having my CX9 for exactly 1 year and after ~13k miles I started my modifications on it.

As there is NO aftermarket support for my car I took upon my self to creat my parts.

First thing first :
A 3" catback system with straight threw muffler, I went to a local muffler shop, brought my dynomax ultraflo 3" in 3" out muffler, and after creating my mid pipe and getting rid of the 2nd cat and resenator, I placed it in the place of the stock bathtub in the back.
A small detour needed to be done around the rear diff, then 2x2.5" outlets

Once installed, a deep nice tone can be heard, no drone at all, as I kept my stock DP turbo spool not much can be heard.

If I pilb the throttle few times, you can hear some crackelz in the exhaust, no back fire or loud sound can be heard ( thx to the stock cat).

My gains from it : faster spool of the turbo, nice sound and strangley cooler water temp ???

I know it sounds weird, but my water temp now is always below 90* on the dash.

Once I go home I'll find a way to upload my cellphone quality pix for all ya.

Next modification is :
1- catch can.
2- aluminum IC piping with heat DEI gold tape.
3- some kind of heat barrier between the rad and the intake manifold, as my IAT Always high 2ndry to the IAT sensor being just behind the rad.

Would love to see some video and hear some audio of your exhaust setup!

Auto exe makes strut bars and sway bars for 16+ cx-9. There is a website that sells internationally.

What website? Is it this one? http://www.amazdaonline.com/eshop/cx-9/2720-autoexe-front-strut-tower-bar-mtc4000.html

Keep in mind 304 stainless is expensive. Cork Sport came in lower in price for my Speed3 exhaust then some other shops. As for the intake if the new 6 has the same configuration as the 9 I am sure someone will make an intake along with a turbo inlet pipe. Matt at Orange Virus has been tuning the Skyactiv motors for years. I only run on Premium anyway.

This engine is a total different animal, I'm speaking from tunning back ground, this is engine is really smart, really really smart,

304 SS or not, the whole idea is to clear the way for faster spool.

To each his own, please let's keep this thread clean.

Thx

http://www.sunvigor.com.hk/onlinesh...lor-red/245-product_option-dry_carbon_garnish

Oh I also found this D shape steering wheel.

I don’t know if I am allowed to post commercial links in here. Please delete if not allowed.

Yeah, that was the other site I came across. Little bit harder to navigate, but they carry some of the same stuff.

That steering wheel is nice.. red stitching, perforated leather (and it looks like suede is an option as well), the CF garnish as an option. All very nice touches. I got the CF garnish on my OEM wheel and it looks a lot nicer! Too bad it doesn't come with shift paddles too.

I think posting links like that are okay because it's just a reference. As long as you aren't benefiting from the link in some way (like an Amazon affiliate link, or posting your own eBay link), it should be okay.

Interested in this because of direct injection and intake valve gunk build up.

I bought a generic one and have it on the parts shelf at home. Waiting for better weather and my first oil change before I install it.

Back