Mazda CX-9 adds rear seat entertainment system on new and late-model years

mifanning

:
2017 Mazda CX9 Signature in machine gray
Not interested in this option but I guess for those with young children this could be nice. Here is the official Mazda news release as well. (headbang)
Mazda-CX-9-Rear-Seat-Entertainment-System-1024x683.jpg

Last edited:
Apart from the fact that I almost never have back seat passengers, $2,000 is a lot to spend on rear seat entertainment, especially when you can buy an Amazon Fire tablet from $49.99 to $149.99 - then the user can pick their own entertainment. I drove with one guy about ten years ago who had bought the entertainment stuff for the back seat of his Navigator, even then his kids weren't interested because they had iPods.

Apart from the fact that I almost never have back seat passengers, $2,000 is a lot to spend on rear seat entertainment, especially when you can buy an Amazon Fire tablet from $49.99 to $149.99 - then the user can pick their own entertainment. I drove with one guy about ten years ago who had bought the entertainment stuff for the back seat of his Navigator, even then his kids weren't interested because they had iPods.

Yeah this. Heck, even planes are dumping these things because everyone has their own phone/ipad. It is why in car wi-fi is so popular. Mazda is way behind the times here.

The fact is, my kids, with their young eyes, are perfectly happy watching something on their phones. They may turn the basketball game off from our 60-inch TV, and go up to their rooms and watch the end of the game on their phones. So there's no way I'd kick in $2,000 for a road-trip feature that wouldn't even be used.

Yeah this. Heck, even planes are dumping these things because everyone has their own phone/ipad. It is why in car wi-fi is so popular. Mazda is way behind the times here.

Mazda's been behind the times in tech for a long time. My '12 nav/bluetooth set up was not even on par with my '07 Lexus that I had when I bought the Mazda. And it was an easy comparison because the nav system was from the same supplier.

To me this seems like a last-minute hodge podge system cloned from one of those generic eBay DVD players just to check a box. Unless it is a "dockable" tablet with WIFI and what not, $2,000 is laughable, especially considering they've all but acknowledged people's preference for the iPod/ tablets by implementing the fast charge USB ports in the armrest.

A central media center with flip down monitor like what is on the Odyssey would have been a much better execution IMO.

Back