'18 CX-9 and Fortin Remote Car Starter...Success!

Attempting to update my evo unit and it keeps stating that an error occured while detecting module. I have tried multiple firmwares for the flash link 4, currently using latest 4.05.

While detecting it appears to detect in remote-starter connection mode, says "unit connected" and firmware is 1.21. Once I click retry detection and it toggles to bypass mode nothing is picked up.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. I want to do this on my newly LEASED CX-9. Will there be a problem when I go to return it back to the dealer? Is there a way to revert back to original condition?

Thanks for all the info. I want to do this on my newly LEASED CX-9. Will there be a problem when I go to return it back to the dealer? Is there a way to revert back to original condition?

No, it won't be a problem and it's easily reversible. You just need to unplug the unit and reconnect the plugs to their original configuration.

I've read conflicting information regarding Fortin EVO-ONE (with it's THAR-ONE-MAZ3 harness) and the secure key takeover; does it work with models using radar cruise control / smart city brake (Like the 2019 Mazda 6 Signature) without giving errors?

I have no issues with radar cruise control/smart city brake with my 2018 CX-9 GT and EVO-ONE+THAR-ONE-MAZ3 harness. I had read some people were having errors too on other forums but have not had any issues with mine.

HI...I'm doing this on a 2015 CX-5. On the flashlink app, I see no bypass tab or remote starter tab. No tabs at all. This seems out of date. Anyways, I pick my vehicle and options and hit 'FLASH'...and that's it. I don't have the options to see 'C1' or anything like that or the remote starter tab to 38.5 - no idea what that is. Moreover, I can't seem to locate a proper installation guide for my make/model. Any thoughts? thanks.

Has anyone run into an issue of not getting the solid blue light after holding down the reset button the first time you connect power? I have double checked the two connections, cut the yellow line and rerun the procedure three times and it keeps flashing red/ orange. No solid blue

HI...I'm doing this on a 2015 CX-5. On the flashlink app, I see no bypass tab or remote starter tab. No tabs at all. This seems out of date. Anyways, I pick my vehicle and options and hit 'FLASH'...and that's it. I don't have the options to see 'C1' or anything like that or the remote starter tab to 38.5 - no idea what that is. Moreover, I can't seem to locate a proper installation guide for my make/model. Any thoughts? thanks.

all_fredo, it is hard to help without a screenshot. I definitely sounds like you are either using an outdated application or a different one. For the installation guide, they are on the fortin website. Assuming you have an automatic (https://fortin.ca/en/vehicles/mazda/cx-5/2015-push-to-start_automatic/). In the table on that page they are in the "guides" row. If you are doing the same set-up as this thread (eve-one + thar-one-maz3) then they you would need this one:
Fortin installation guides are notoriously confusing, but their customer service is great so you can always contact them also.

Has anyone run into an issue of not getting the solid blue light after holding down the reset button the first time you connect power? I have double checked the two connections, cut the yellow line and rerun the procedure three times and it keeps flashing red/ orange. No solid blue

aleki2424, have you connected the other end of the "thar-one-maz3" T-harness to the vehicle before that step? (for example, connect the two connections of the harness to the fortin module and the other two connection into the vehicle). Deucebasemen had the same issue earlier and update the step 4 to say:

"4. Now on the bottom as shown on the instruction, there are two plugs you need to unplug. Look at the one that looks like those plugs on the Tharness to figure out where to squeeze to pull them out. Remove those two from and plug them into the Tharness. They will only fit in the right adapter in the THarness. No guessing work here. Not only do you plug the Mazda (steering column) plugs into the T-Harness, you also then have to plug the 2 remaining plugs from the t-harness into the steering column."

Here to report all worked fine with my 2015 CX-5. Looks like the flashlink software was updated, i don't seen any manual options anymore. The 1-key procedure enabled both FOBs to work.

Not only do you plug the Mazda (steering column) plugs into the T-Harness, you also then have to plug the 2 remaining plugs from the t-harness into the steering column."[/COLOR]

Yup, there are two connectors under the dash (both white, adjacent to each other). I disconnected these two connectors from the vehicle harness and plugged them into the (2) T-harness spots. I then plugged in the the two connectors from T-harness into the slots under the dash (Basically working like a bypass). When pressing down the button, the only physical connection from the T-harness and the Fortin box was the 6-pin connector. Did I miss a step somewhere?

Last edited:
Yup, there are two connectors under the dash (both white, adjacent to each other). I disconnected these two connectors from the vehicle harness and plugged them into the (2) T-harness spots. I then plugged in the the two connectors from T-harness into the slots under the dash (Basically working like a bypass). When pressing down the button, the only physical connection from the T-harness and the Fortin box was the 6-pin connector. Did I miss a step somewhere?

That sounds right. The only other thing I can think off is that the Fortin instructions says to press and hold the button before and while connecting the 6 pin harness (white connector). Maybe if you don’t hold it before connecting it changes something. I would retry that if you have not already done it.

If that doesn’t work I would contact Fortin, you may have a defective harness or module, but they would be able to tell you. There isn’t a lot else that can go wrong prior to that step.

That sounds right. The only other thing I can think off is that the Fortin instructions says to press and hold the button before and while connecting the 6 pin harness (white connector). Maybe if you don’t hold it before connecting it changes something. I would retry that if you have not already done it.

If that doesn’t work I would contact Fortin, you may have a defective harness or module, but they would be able to tell you. There isn’t a lot else that can go wrong prior to that step.

Thanks for the ideas! I tried to call Fortin and they'd asked me to talk to the folks who sold my kit. I got mine at Amazon so that's kinda no-go. I'll try and reach out again

Thanks to all the great advice in this thread I too have successfully installed the EVO-ONE in my 2019 CX-9 GT. I re-used a Tele-Connect / Autolink cellular remote start device from my previous vehicle which also had a Fortin unit installed and can start my car from my cell phone. This is a feature that one you have you can't live without.

LFxJwP7
Curious if anyone else has heard of or done this?

Thanks for the ideas! I tried to call Fortin and they'd asked me to talk to the folks who sold my kit. I got mine at Amazon so that's kinda no-go. I'll try and reach out again

Came in to update all that I got mine to work successfully. Like many on here posted, it was bone easy to set this thing up in hindsight. It works so well, I am even angrier that Mazda couldn't implement this

Subscribed to this tread and in the process of investing in this fortin modules to work for my cx9 w/ oem fobs. Just waiting on the spare oem fob from the dealer they promised and waiting for their confirmation that it will not void any or my warranty.
it should come standard. Even Jeep GC has it which was the other all wheel drive I was strongly considering

Waiting for it because the dealership had to order me a new one to include a set of 2, and they have to program the fob. Then I should have confirmation from them by next week, take my cx9 in then install the Fortin module. Hope all works out!

Got it, i tought you were waiting on the key to do the remote install, which you don’t need to because the fortin won’t sacrifice a key to work. I hope the dealer gets you your ride as soon as possible.

Came in to update all that I got mine to work successfully. Like many on here posted, it was bone easy to set this thing up in hindsight. It works so well, I am even angrier that Mazda couldn't implement this
What was the issue and how did you fix it?

Latest posts

Back