'18 CX-9 and Fortin Remote Car Starter...Success!

OK. I just received the parts and am going to perform the installation this weekend. For those who have already installed this, I have a few questions:

- how/where do you install the hood pin? it looks like you just have to solder the end of the wire that is pink/black but where do you install the push pin part?
- did you install the optional parking light wires? if you did, what connector did you use as the other end of the red connector on the THAR-MA30 harness are bare wires (yellow/red, yellow/blue, yellow/green)
- is there a way to enter valet mode, or, disable the remote start (3x lock) while the car is taken by a valet attendant or being serviced at the dealer?

- how/where do you install the hood pin? it looks like you just have to solder the end of the wire that is pink/black but where do you install the push pin part?
I can't say as I did not install the hood pin. I just put the sticker on the fuse box, no one should be clicking the key fob while the car is being worked on (I would think not anyway).
- did you install the optional parking light wires? if you did, what connector did you use as the other end of the red connector on the THAR-MA30 harness are bare wires (yellow/red, yellow/blue, yellow/green)
Didn't need to, the harness I received controls the lights with just the two plug-n-play connectors
- is there a way to enter valet mode, or, disable the remote start (3x lock) while the car is taken by a valet attendant or being serviced at the dealer?
Yes, there's a push button connector that plugs into the EVO - came with the kit. Plug that into the EVO and push it (3x by default I think) to enter valet mode. There's a process described in the documents.

OK. I just received the parts and am going to perform the installation this weekend. For those who have already installed this, I have a few questions:

What he says below on questions 1 and 2.

When you get stuck, just call Fortin.

I can't say as I did not install the hood pin. I just put the sticker on the fuse box, no one should be clicking the key fob while the car is being worked on (I would think not anyway).

Didn't need to, the harness I received controls the lights with just the two plug-n-play connectors

Yes, there's a push button connector that plugs into the EVO - came with the kit. Plug that into the EVO and push it (3x by default I think) to enter valet mode. There's a process described in the documents.

You need to plug something into the actual module to do this? The thing hidden up under my steering column?

Easier to just leave enough gas in it that if it runs the whole time no biggy.

I can't say as I did not install the hood pin. I just put the sticker on the fuse box, no one should be clicking the key fob while the car is being worked on (I would think not anyway)

Thanks Srad. Yeah I figure now I can disable the remote start using the valet switch before any service is done. Was there a particular place underneath the dash that you installed the valet button or is it just hanging?

What he says below on questions 1 and 2.

When you get stuck, just call Fortin.

You need to plug something into the actual module to do this? The thing hidden up under my steering column?

Easier to just leave enough gas in it that if it runs the whole time no biggy.

Yes, check out Srad's 2nd photo in his post with the pictures above. The valet switch is the one between the hood pin switch and the harness in the baggie.

Yes, check out Srad's 2nd photo in his post with the pictures above. The valet switch is the one between the hood pin switch and the harness in the baggie.

Interesting - that looks long enough that you could leave it plugged in all the time? Is there a button at the end that you could press to temporarily disable?

Thanks Srad. Yeah I figure now I can disable the remote start using the valet switch before any service is done. Was there a particular place underneath the dash that you installed the valet button or is it just hanging?
I just left the button in the glove box. The way I secured the Evo, I should just be able to reach under the steering column and plug it in if necessary. But to be honest I'm not too concerned with it, the car will only run for only a few minutes (I believe the default is 7 min's) without input anyway, then it shuts down again.

Interesting - that looks long enough that you could leave it plugged in all the time? Is there a button at the end that you could press to temporarily disable?
I believe that is the intent of the button. Plug it in, hide it (or just put it somewhere out of the way) and use as needed.

Last edited:
Got the EVO-ONE installed and as Srad600 alluded to, the instructions are horrible. So are the option descriptions. That said, is there any way to shut off the annoying 3rd, 4th, and 5th honks as the remote start happens? I'm not sure which specific option does this but I've seen a Youtube video where there is no honk when the remote start is activated. I don't mind the 2nd honk as it is standard OEM but the successive honks are annoying and I'd rather not be advertising that my vehicle has started.

I just left the button in the glove box. The way I secured the Evo, I should just be able to reach under the steering column and plug it in if necessary. But to be honest I'm not too concerned with it, the car will only run for only a few minutes (I believe the default is 7 min's) without input anyway, then it shuts down again.

I believe that is the intent of the button. Plug it in, hide it (or just put it somewhere out of the way) and use as needed.

Mine doesn't shut off, at all :)

Got the EVO-ONE installed and as Srad600 alluded to, the instructions are horrible. So are the option descriptions. That said, is there any way to shut off the annoying 3rd, 4th, and 5th honks as the remote start happens? I'm not sure which specific option does this but I've seen a Youtube video where there is no honk when the remote start is activated. I don't mind the 2nd honk as it is standard OEM but the successive honks are annoying and I'd rather not be advertising that my vehicle has started.

Just call Fortin - easiest way to get it done.

Did you create that setting? From their literature, the car should run for a set interval then shut down unless someone intervenes.

Nope, I just listened to the guy from Fortin.

Mine also only beeps when you press the lock button, not a bunch more times as it starts.

I saw this issue raised in some other threads/youtube videos: did you guys have issues finding a place to secure the EVO-One?

I saw this issue raised in some other threads/youtube videos: did you guys have issues finding a place to secure the EVO-One?
I didn't, there's a metal substructure right under the dash, next to where everything plugs in. I just attached the device to that with zip ties.

Nope, I just listened to the guy from Fortin.
Mine also only beeps when you press the lock button, not a bunch more times as it starts.
Sounds like customer service had you covered.

Last edited:
Not sure if it has been mentioned before but Mazda now lists a remote start on their accessories page separate from Mazda remote start (app). This is actually a fob controlled system but only includes one standard fob. I imagine you can order a second. Under $500 installed. Anyone purchase this yet?

Not sure if it has been mentioned before but Mazda now lists a remote start on their accessories page separate from Mazda remote start (app). This is actually a fob controlled system but only includes one standard fob. I imagine you can order a second. Under $500 installed. Anyone purchase this yet?

People hate it....

I don't recall where I found the reviews, here probably, but the app is buggy and slow and apparently not very accurate.

Any why would you pay $500 for that? This is like $200 and works with both your standard key. You can also add on other components to make it two way, but that requires a different fob.

People hate it....

I don't recall where I found the reviews, here probably, but the app is buggy and slow and apparently not very accurate.

Any why would you pay $500 for that? This is like $200 and works with both your standard key. You can also add on other components to make it two way, but that requires a different fob.

Not the App. This is a new remote start just put up on Mazda's site. Operates with fob, not your phone. I know the phone app one sucks but this traditional set-up must be good and since it's from Mazda, if something goes wrong with the car it's on them.

Back