'18 CX-9 and Fortin Remote Car Starter...Success!

MattGoose

:
CX-9
Ok folks, if I figured it out, you can too. I absolutely refused to spend the $500 Mazda and other installers were looking for to install a system on my behalf.

Based on a lot of research, and conversations both with the manufacturer (Fortin) and retailer (Crutchfield) I picked up the following components:

Fortin EVO-ONE with MAZ3 harness:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_938EV1MAZ3/Fortin-EVO-ONE-MAZ3.html?tp=77914&omnews=14762862

Fortin Flash Link Updater:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_938FLU1002/Fortin-FLU-100-2.html?tp=155&omnews=14762862

Total was around $230 as Crutchfield takes a discount if you buy both.

Install was easy - if I can do it you, you can too.

A couple of things that I learned:
1. The order of operations aren't 100% clear from the directions, so do this:
1. Disconnect (-) terminal on battery
2. Open the steering column and install the harness to the car (NOT the module) per the instructions. It's really just plug and play.
3. Reconnect the battery
4. Update the EVO-ONE module per the instructions below.
5. Connect the EVO-ONE module per instructions
6. Run decrypter process and test​

2. The EVO-ONE module probably needs to be updated before you try and install it in the car. Mine was not up to date and was not working with the included instructions. I called Fortin to troubleshoot and they walked me through updating the module and the final install/tests steps on the car. If I had known what the problem was, I probably could have resolved in on my own, but it's probably worth a call. If someone does call, take notes and publish here. If I had known how straightforward it was going to be, I would have done so.

3. Don't forget to cut the yellow loop.

This sounds intriguing and I'm interested, but would this invalidate any warranty coverage provided by Mazda?

I put fortin on my CX-5. It was about $150 total for module, harness and programmer. I got all from Crutchfield as well.

Does it shut off the engine when you open the door or did you implement some sort of bypass for this?

Does it shut off the engine when you open the door or did you implement some sort of bypass for this?

Nope. Comes with that already fixed.

Works just like any other car starter I've ever used. When you get in the car, press the start button once and off you go.

Only issues I've found so far is that the one touch up/down on the car windows doesn't appear to be working... I haven't had enough time to troubleshoot yet.

Best Buy quoted me $425 for a super basic install and told me I was going to have to wait 3 months. Local car audio installers were quoting me north of $500.

Easy peasy.

Works just like any other car starter I've ever used. When you get in the car, press the start button once and off you go.

Only issues I've found so far is that the one touch up/down on the car windows doesn't appear to be working... I haven't had enough time to troubleshoot yet.

Best Buy quoted me $425 for a super basic install and told me I was going to have to wait 3 months. Local car audio installers were quoting me north of $500.

Easy peasy.

Nice! I may have to look into this. Do you get a separate keyfob with this setup or somehow integrate the Mazda stock remote start unit?

Nice! I may have to look into this. Do you get a separate keyfob with this setup or somehow integrate the Mazda stock remote start unit?

What Audifile say above....

I'm 90% positive that it works with both of my keys too, so that's more money saved over a different system.

Do it.

The customer support from Crutchfield and Fortin make it a no-brainer.

Easy peasy.

Were you able to get the one touch up/down windows working?

Were you able to get the one touch up/down windows working?

Honestly, haven't really tried yet.

The majority of the time that I'll be using it is during the winter, so I don't really care about the windows.

Additionally, I almost always end up hitting the brake to start it normally and kill the auto start. In other words, more often than not, I end up starting it normally right before I start driving.

Honestly, haven't really tried yet.

The majority of the time that I'll be using it is during the winter, so I don't really care about the windows.

Additionally, I almost always end up hitting the brake to start it normally and kill the auto start. In other words, more often than not, I end up starting it normally right before I start driving.

MattGoose, whenever you disconnect the battery the safety mechanism causes the one touch windows to no longer function. It's similar to if you get something caught in the window going up (eg. a child).

To reset it (has to be done for all 4 windows), just roll down the window all the way by pressing down the switch keep it depressed for an extra second, then roll it all the way back up and keep pulling up on the switch once it's up for an extra second. Then when you've released it you should be able to auto open/close again.

+1 on the Fortin did that a few months ago and it's great!

MattGoose, whenever you disconnect the battery the safety mechanism causes the one touch windows to no longer function. It's similar to if you get something caught in the window going up (eg. a child).

To reset it (has to be done for all 4 windows), just roll down the window all the way by pressing down the switch keep it depressed for an extra second, then roll it all the way back up and keep pulling up on the switch once it's up for an extra second. Then when you've released it you should be able to auto open/close again.

+1 on the Fortin did that a few months ago and it's great!

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

I was really confused because I couldn't figure the pattern out on this. My driver window was working again, but none of the others. I must have accidentally reset it.

The Fortin is a great addition and I'm still very happy with it.

when activating the fortin remote start, does the engine shut off when the driver side door is opened, or any doors for that matter?

when activating the fortin remote start, does the engine shut off when the driver side door is opened, or any doors for that matter?

Nope.

Stays started when you open the doors or the lift gate.

When you get in the car, you have to hit the start button, otherwise when you hit the brake to put in gear it shuts off.

The only thing that stops the car is a 15 min timer or if you hit the brake.

Also confirming that my windows are now working. Disconnecting the battery also reset some of the other settings in the car, but it appears to be random. My stereo, for example, the bass/treble settings remained the same but I had to go back in and select the Bose AudioPilot and Centerwhatever options.

When you get in the car, you have to hit the start button, otherwise when you hit the brake to put in gear it shuts off.
The only thing that stops the car is a 15 min timer or if you hit the brake.
sorry i'm a little confused! just so i am understanding correctly (and correct me where i'm wrong), when you activate the remote starter by pressing unlock 3 times, the vehicle engine will start. why then, would you need to hit the start button again? also, if the vehicle is already started and you are ready to drive off, you would need to depress the brake and put it in gear but you said it will shut off the engine when you do that?

my application would be on a hot summer day in california, i could use the remote start to get the a/c going and load my kid in the car seat. but my concern is that someone could potentially steal the car, since it is running, while i'm getting my kid buckled in.

Last edited:
sorry i'm a little confused! just so i am understanding correctly (and correct me where i'm wrong), when you activate the remote starter by pressing unlock 3 times, the vehicle engine will start. why then, would you need to hit the start button again? also, if the vehicle is already started and you are ready to drive off, you would need to depress the brake and put it in gear but you said it will shut off the engine when you do that?

my application would be on a hot summer day in california, i could use the remote start to get the a/c going and load my kid in the car seat. but my concern is that someone could potentially steal the car, since it is running, while i'm getting my kid buckled in.

I think for this system, pushing the start button is what actually prevents just that risk of theft as it allows the car to recognize that you have the key on you. Otherwise if you didn't do this, it'd shut off when you tried to press the brake (in order to shift to Drive).

Mazda was really aggressive in their implementation of their system, to protect for theft as it shuts off the engine when you try to open the door. I am not a big fan of this, myself. If you are saying someone will steal your car while you load the car, personally think there's a lot more issues to worry about here, but the Mazda stock system would be a better option for you.

In my experience, the best system was GM's which in addition to the auto start, actually monitors ambient temperature automatically and can either turns on the heater/ defrost mechanism or the A/C.

I think for this system, pushing the start button is what actually prevents just that risk of theft as it allows the car to recognize that you have the key on you. Otherwise if you didn't do this, it'd shut off when you tried to press the brake (in order to shift to Drive).

I see. So basically a fail safe if you don't have the key- you have to have the key on you in the driver seat, press the start button and only then are you able to depress the brake pedal to shift out of park. Otherwise, depressing the brake without the key would just shut the engine off. Got it!

And this can be done using the OEM key fob and no additional remotes to carry? Seems like a win.

Finally, any quirks/alterations to the current system besides what was stated above in terms of the operation of the alarm, locking doors using the button on the handle, windows, etc?

I Installed Evo-One and Maz3 on my 16 CX-9. Remote start works as it should, but I have an issue.
When remote start the vehicle and pressing push-to-start button, button light turns off as it should and vehicle can be driven normally.

But if I start the car normally (without using remote start) from push-to-start button, car starts normally but the push-to-start button light flashes amber... Car drives normally although the push-to-start light keeps flashing.
Anyone experience this?

Mazda was really aggressive in their implementation of their system, to protect for theft as it shuts off the engine when you try to open the door. I am not a big fan of this, myself. If you are saying someone will steal your car while you load the car, personally think there's a lot more issues to worry about here, but the Mazda stock system would be a better option for you.

In my experience, the best system was GM's which in addition to the auto start, actually monitors ambient temperature automatically and can either turns on the heater/ defrost mechanism or the A/C.

I see. So basically a fail safe if you don't have the key- you have to have the key on you in the driver seat, press the start button and only then are you able to depress the brake pedal to shift out of park. Otherwise, depressing the brake without the key would just shut the engine off. Got it!

And this can be done using the OEM key fob and no additional remotes to carry? Seems like a win.

Finally, any quirks/alterations to the current system besides what was stated above in terms of the operation of the alarm, locking doors using the button on the handle, windows, etc?

Just to clarify about how it actually works. I won't comment on any of the why because I have no idea :)

Click "Lock" 3x to start the car. Car is now running and locked up tight.

Unlock the car by clicking either the unlock button on the remote or the button on the door handle. Car is now running and unlocked.

Enter the car and press the Start button. The Fortin system takes control over the lock/starter buttons when you use the remote and pressing the Start button allows the car to take control again.

Press the brake and shift gears. Off you go. If you don't hit the Start button the car shuts off when you hit the brake to shift into gear.

That help?

Latest posts

Back