'18 CX-9 and Fortin Remote Car Starter...Success!

Hey Guys. Where do you guys put the Fortin EVO ONE box after you install? Are there any lo0se wires hanging out after install? Can one of you please post picture of where you anchored the EVO box?

Regards,

- ash

There was enough space in my steering column to tuck it up in there. Guy at Fortin said to make sure to button everything up and then go lock to lock a couple of times to make sure nothing is binding.

There was enough space in my steering column to tuck it up in there. Guy at Fortin said to make sure to button everything up and then go lock to lock a couple of times to make sure nothing is binding.

Thank you MattGoose. That helps.

Did mine too

Thanks guys did mine too. I ordered all 3 items; THarness, Evo One, and the Updater tool from Amazon as Crutchfield was out. As others have mentioned, here*s the outline as well. Once you do it, it is actually really easy. Their instructions are crap.

1. Download the app. You need Windows. (The recent Windows 10 update didn*t detect the device so I had to go back to previous version)
2. Start the app. You will have to create a fortin account, and verify your email address
3. Select the vehicle models etc
4. Connect the updater and EvoOne with the wires that come with the Updater.
5. App will detect that it is connected.
6. Click on Bypass tab, update firmware if it asks you to.
7. Click on Remote Starter tab, update if it asks you to.
8. Confirm those 3 settings as mentioned (set it if not already set)
a. Bypass tab: C1, D2 on (Save if you had to change)
b. Remote Starter tab, option 38 set to 38.2 (Save if you had to change)​

Install T Harness (All wires are color coded and they fit only in the right places, you will only use the ones with adapters that plugin)
1. disconnect the *ve battery power. Make sure the terminal does not touch metal
2. As shown in the instructions using a Philip screw driver remove the bottom two screws.
3. Pop open the top cover section. There are no more screws you need to unscrew. The top and bottom covers are then snapped together. So, you will need some little squeezing and pulling pushing to dislodge them apart. Once the top come loose, you just leave it there, do not try to pull it all the way out. Now the bottom section you pull it out a little towards the driver seat and out. There is a little metal thing where the bottom section slides out of.
4. Now on the bottom as shown on the instruction, there are two plugs you need to unplug. Look at the one that looks like those plugs on the Tharness to figure out where to squeeze to pull them out. Remove those two from and plug them into the Tharness. They will only fit in the right adapter in the THarness. No guessing work here.
5. Connect the *ve terminal back
6. cut the yellow loop wire on the Evo one
7. Now hold the only button on the EvoOne, then plug the power from the THarness which is the biggest plug in the EvoOne. The 3 lights will start flashing one at a time different color. Let go of the button only when there is only 1 blue light.
8. Now plug the other wires from the Tharness to the EvoOne; one next to the power you just plugged and other two on the other side, they are color coordinated.
9. Now push the ignition button twice without pushing on the brake pedal. Car will not start but the ignition will be on
10. The evo will flash bunch of lights. Wait until you get blue flashing light, then turn off the ignition.
11. Unplug your evoone

Decryptor
1. Connect your evoone via the updater back again to your app.
2. Go to Decrypter tab (on the left) and click on *Send Data*.
3. It will do buncha things decrypting blah blah.
4. Once done, take the EvoOne back to the car and plug everything back in.
5. Test the remote starter by pushing the lock button on your key fob 3 times.

You*re done. Put everything back together. I used the tie that came with the THarness to tie the loose wires together and used a zip tie to hold the EvoOne to some fat cable on the right.

As someone mentioned, my auto down-up windows didn*t work. I had to reset it as mentioned somewhere here by rolling all the way down, holding it there for a sec or two and rolling it all the way up and holding it up for sec or two. Had to do this to all 4 windows.

Good luck guys.

Last edited:
1. Download the app. You need Windows. (The recent Windows 10 update didnt detect the device so I had to go back to previous version)

I have a new (couple of months old) Windows computer. Do you suppose that means I wouldn't be able to do the install?

I have a new (couple of months old) Windows computer. Do you suppose that means I wouldn't be able to do the install?

Try it. When my windows 10 auto updated to the latest version the app didn't detect the updater. Reinstalling the app might have fixed it but I chose to just revert back the windows. Just install the app. If EvoOne didn't work then it shouldn't be a difficult return with at least Amazon. I am sure Fortin will update the App if it indeed does not work with the newest Windows.

I installed the Fortin Evo One this evening. An overall simple process. The most time was spent on organizing and tucking away the unit and wires under the steering column.

A question: For those who also installed the same remote start unit, did you also install the hood pin switch? I did not, and it works fine. My concern is from a safety standpoint. Someone could remote start the car while working under the hood or car. Unlikely I*m sure, and I can take extra measures to minimize the risk, but I*m still thinking about installing it. Has anyone done so, and if so, how did you route the wire from the cabin to the engine compartment?

Thanks, although I haven't tried for distance yet, it easily worked from the middle of my house. I'd say 50' horizontally and one story up from the car.

Update: Installed this same kit in my 2016 Mazda6. Success.

FYI for those reading..........if you want true plug and play get the Evo-One plus MAZT3....do not get the Evo-All plus MAZT1 unless you don't mind splicing wires.

I bought Evo-One and MAZT3 from Fortin's Ebay storefront. I also purchased the RF642W kit that includes a pair of 2-way remotes and the RF antenna. Tested at 1/4 mile away at a park and it worked. It's supposed to have a 1/2 mile range. The RF642W kit was real easy to program as well.

Will be getting this for the CX-5 next.

I had mine installed (Compustar) and decided not to do the hood safety switch. When I take it in for service I don't give them the remote.

Thank you for the detailed instructions.

Thanks guys did mine too. I ordered all 3 items; THarness, Evo One, and the Updater tool from Amazon as Crutchfield was out. As others have mentioned, here*s the outline as well. Once you do it, it is actually really easy. Their instructions are crap.

1. Download the app. You need Windows. (The recent Windows 10 update didn*t detect the device so I had to go back to previous version)
2. Start the app. You will have to create a fortin account, and verify your email address

Install T Harness (All wires are color coded and they fit only in the right places, you will only use the ones with adapters that plugin)
1. disconnect the *ve battery power. Make sure the terminal does not touch metal
2. As shown in the instructions using a Philip screw driver remove the bottom two screws.
3. Pop open the top cover section. There are no more screws you need to unscrew. The top and bottom covers are then snapped together. So, you will need some little squeezing and pulling pushing to dislodge them apart. Once the top come loose, you just leave it there, do not try to pull it all the way out. Now the bottom section you pull it out a little towards the driver seat and out. There is a little metal thing where the bottom section slides out of.
4. Now on the bottom as shown on the instruction, there are two plugs you need to unplug. Look at the one that looks like those plugs on the Tharness to figure out where to squeeze to pull them out. Remove those two from and plug them into the Tharness. They will only fit in the right adapter in the THarness. No guessing work here.
7. Now hold the only button on the EvoOne, then plug the power from the THarness which is the biggest plug in the EvoOne. The 3 lights will start flashing one at a time different color. Let go of the button only when there is only 1 blue light.
8. Now plug the other wires from the Tharness to the EvoOne; one next to the power you just plugged and other two on the other side, they are color coordinated.
9. Now push the ignition button twice without pushing on the brake pedal. Car will not start but the ignition will be on
10. The evo will flash bunch of lights. Wait until you get blue flashing light, then turn off the ignition.
11. Unplug your evoone

Decryptor

You*re done. Put everything back together. I used the tie that came with the THarness to tie the loose wires together and used a zip tie to hold the EvoOne to some fat cable on the right.

As someone mentioned, my auto down-up windows didn*t work. I had to reset it as mentioned somewhere here by rolling all the way down, holding it there for a sec or two and rolling it all the way up and holding it up for sec or two. Had to do this to all 4 windows.

Good luck guys.

Okay, I created an account to say thanks specifically to eplur, you're the best and everyone else danced around it, you made step by step instructions leaving nothing out! It was awesome and super easy to do. I'm almost mad at my past self for being slightly afraid of the complexity of it. The only thing that my brain was stuck on was the part that says "The 3 lights will start flashing one at a time different color. Let go of the button only when there is only 1 blue light." I thought it would stay on the blue light, like a dummy, I didn't know that it would keep cycling, so I just sat there waiting and waiting for it to stop on Blue, when all I had to do was just time it and release when there was only a blue light, hahaha.
It really only did take 45 minutes and if I did it again, would probably only take 20 minutes, maximum.
I got my parts at these prices:
Evo-One $88.80 - Amazon
THAR-ONE-MAZ3 T-Harness $55.95 -Ebay
FlashLink 4 $39.99 -Ebay
Total: $185

Thanks again everyone for the help in this thread and I did need to reset my windows by holding up on them for over a second each one to re-enable the auto window ability.

The only question that I would have is has anyone done the hood pin switch? How did you wire it to the hood and keep it hidden?

Thank you all so much!

Okay, I created an account to say thanks specifically to eplur, you're the best and everyone else danced around it, you made step by step instructions leaving nothing out! It was awesome and super easy to do. I'm almost mad at my past self for being slightly afraid of the complexity of it. The only thing that my brain was stuck on was the part that says "The 3 lights will start flashing one at a time different color. Let go of the button only when there is only 1 blue light." I thought it would stay on the blue light, like a dummy, I didn't know that it would keep cycling, so I just sat there waiting and waiting for it to stop on Blue, when all I had to do was just time it and release when there was only a blue light, hahaha.
It really only did take 45 minutes and if I did it again, would probably only take 20 minutes, maximum.
I got my parts at these prices:
Evo-One $88.80 - Amazon
THAR-ONE-MAZ3 T-Harness $55.95 -Ebay
FlashLink 4 $39.99 -Ebay
Total: $185

Thanks again everyone for the help in this thread and I did need to reset my windows by holding up on them for over a second each one to re-enable the auto window ability.

The only question that I would have is has anyone done the hood pin switch? How did you wire it to the hood and keep it hidden?

Just came to add that I followed these instructions for a 2015 Mazda CX-5 Automatic and it worked beautifully. I went with the FLU-100.2 on Amazon, along with the Evo-One and Thar-One-Maz3 THarness.

I have 0 experience with cars, but was able to do this. You'll need a phillips head screwdriver and a 10mm socket to get your cable off your battery. Other than that, I was dumb: Don't forget to put your seat back, pull your steeling wheel out, and up as far as it can go. It'll give you a lot more room to work!
Btw, in the instructions when they refer to 'The App', they're talking about the Updater app the entire time.

Thanks again everyone!!!

I just did this install as well. This deserves to be in the How-to section.

The step by step worked beautifully. The only issue I ran into was that after going through the decryptor process, my module settings changed back to default, and the remote start wouldn't work. Connected back to the flashlink updater and reapplied the correct settings and it worked perfectly after that. I also took way too long trying to figure out how to tie up all the loose cables and where to mount the EvoOne module.

The only non-plug and play connection (which I did not attempt to do) is connecting the remote starter to the car lights. When remote starting the car the exterior lights don't turn on, so there is no way to visually confirm from a distance that the car as started successfully (during the day at least, still have to test at night).

Also, the Evo One has a turbo mode that lets the engine runs after turning off the ignition to cool off the turbo (like they used to have on modified turbo cars). Not sure this works on the CX-9 or is even necessary but nice to know its there and I could turn it on if I ever wanted to.

Just finished my install (including headlight/parking light wiring). Worked perfectly.

Now to add dronemobile.

To anyone using dronemobile, mycar or any RF remote. Does the trunk/power lift gate button work on your app or remote when using the EVO-ONE?

I*ve got everything working, except the dronemobile trunk release . I
It doesn*t work even when the car isn*t running.

Does anyone know the difference between the EVO-ONE and the EVO-MAZT1? From my research, both are plug and play with no splicing, EVO-ONE requires the additional harness and updater while the EVO-MAZT1 requires only the updater. The MAZT1 seems cheaper because you don't need the extra harness (it is integrated), so is there any reason to go with the ONE vs the MAZT1?

Does anyone know the difference between the EVO-ONE and the EVO-MAZT1? From my research, both are plug and play with no splicing, EVO-ONE requires the additional harness and updater while the EVO-MAZT1 requires only the updater. The MAZT1 seems cheaper because you don't need the extra harness (it is integrated), so is there any reason to go with the ONE vs the MAZT1?

The Dronemobile unit (control via mobile phone) can be added to the EVO-ONE. If it can be done the same for the MAZT1, then MAZT1 is the way to go.

The MazT1 harness is different which apparently requires some splicing. I can look into the details later and let you know, but this is why everyone on this forum recommended the evo one and the seperate harness.

As someone else said on this post :
FYI for those reading..........if you want true plug and play get the Evo-One plus MAZT3....do not get the Evo-All plus MAZT1 unless you don't mind splicing wires.

The MazT1 harness is different which apparently requires some splicing. I can look into the details later and let you know, but this is why everyone on this forum recommended the evo one and the seperate harness.

As someone else said on this post :*
FYI for those reading..........if you want true plug and play get the Evo-One plus MAZT3....do not get the Evo-All plus MAZT1 unless you don't mind splicing wires. *

No no, the EVO-MAZT1 is a brand new product, from what it sounds like it is essentially an EVO-ONE with a built-in T-harness.

https://fortin.ca/en/products/evo-rs/evo-mazt1/

Installed mine yesterday following your instructions and it was a breeze. I had already updated my Evo One at work on Friday so the install and Decryptor process took all of 20 minutes. Best $180 I've spent in a while.

11. Unplug your evoone

Decryptor

Good luck guys.

Back